Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Loose-fitting long shorts w/padding

I bought a pair of Novara bike capris (in black, shown in 3rd thumbnail image) which I love. They came with removable padding but I wear my own padded liners instead for more saddle comfort. They are probably MTB shorts but they suit my style as I prefer a more walk-around style and long enough to cover my sun-challenged skin.

The only issue is that my liners (or the removable liner) adds an extra layer of warmth in hot weather.

Does anyone know of anything with padding that is not removable (i.e. isn't worn like an extra layer underneath) but is substantial enough to provide saddle comfort on a long ride?
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Team Estrogen has quite a few padded knickers. Don't know if any of them are attached or if they have the separate liner.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/categories.asp?catID=86
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just standard MB shorts? I wear those for virtually all my riding (surprisingly few people want to see a 50-something guy in Lycra), and they work fine.
    How much heat can a few square inches of padding add, anyway?

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the winter I wear KNickers. Long shorts that cover the knees. Most of these are mainly for winter use so are made of a thicker material than usual and are very warm. But I made a mistake a few years ago and instead of getting Roubaix material- I got ordinary Lycra. They were just like a pair of Ordinary shorts but were ideal for summer wet rides for me. Kept the knees from the the stinging rain but still kept the Calves open.

In the winter I use the Roubaix Knickers- but on those wet- cold- Spring and Autumn rides- I have taken to wearing Cycling tights (Or Bib Tights) that have no Padding. Have to wear ordinary shorts underneath for the padding but This keeps the legs protected and with out too much bulk.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Felt Z100 road bike and Schwinn Frontier
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but my wife bought me a pair of these from L.L. Bean, and I really like them. They are shorts, with padded cycling shorts sewn in.
    http://www.llbean.com/webapp/wcs/sto...Search&feat=sr

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I bought a pair of Novara bike capris (in black, shown in 3rd thumbnail image) which I love. They came with removable padding but I wear my own padded liners instead for more saddle comfort. They are probably MTB shorts but they suit my style as I prefer a more walk-around style and long enough to cover my sun-challenged skin.

The only issue is that my liners (or the removable liner) adds an extra layer of warmth in hot weather.

Does anyone know of anything with padding that is not removable (i.e. isn't worn like an extra layer underneath) but is substantial enough to provide saddle comfort on a long ride?
    Mrs. Road Fan LOVES her Terry capris with a built-in chamois. It's not as good a chamois as in Terry's better shorts, but fine for 25-45 or so miles. She tried some other capris with a standard bike short underneath, but even with the Terry shorts they were not as comfy - too much fabric?

Road Fan

My Bikes
    1976 Apollo Mk IV, mid-'80s Miyata touring bike, mid-'80s Miyata mtn bike, 2007 Trek 6500 mtn bike, 2008 Trek Madone 5.2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, for Pete's sake, Yen. You are an attractive, svelte, fit woman. Wear some nice black lycra bike shorts and be proud that you are turning heads for all the right reasons.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone.

I want the longer length only for additional sun protection but I could use sunscreen instead. I'm fair-skinned and my upper legs haven't seen the light of day since................. I can't remember when. The padded liner does add heat that I don't need on a day in the upper 90s.

I've read/heard great things about Terry clothing, I'll give those a look. And Bev, I already have my eye on some of the items at TE (I bought my UPF jerseys there).

Cone Wrench:
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cone Wrench View Post
    Oh, for Pete's sake, Yen. You are an attractive, svelte, fit woman. Wear some nice black lycra bike shorts and be proud that you are turning heads for all the right reasons.
    I can agree with this, especially since she called her bike the "little black dress."

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2-wheeled "little black dress"....

Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    My 2-wheeled "little black dress"....

Exactly, now how could you look nicer on a sleek svelte machine like that, but to wear similarly svelte calf-length lycra capris?