Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: More Loco

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Loco

Well, I tried to resize the pictures for the first thread. It appears that I got one right. Sorry about that.

When I'm on the bike, I tend to notice the flora as well as the fauna. The fauna would relate to stokers on tandems and other fit specimens, but I dare not go there and risk invoking the wrath of the better half of soon-to-be 39 years.

There were a bunch of these along the route.

The color of these flowers was really nice, but my camera is old and missing a few megapixels, I believe, and the photo doesn't do this bunch justice. I've ordered a new camera. Hopefully, it will give a better rendering of nature's gems.

These day lilies grew wild along the road in several spots. With the presence of the tiny white flowers amongst the lilies, it made for a nice natural arrangement.

Nearing the end of the final loop, and my ability to keep the pedals going round and round, we cycled through the bustling metropolis of Miller, MO.

Exiting Miller, I noticed this old garage with the Route 66 sign over the door.

The sign appears to be the genuine article, but as I recall, Route 66 was quite a bit north of southwest MO. Perhaps someone liberated it from its original mooring years ago.

Here's Ol' Fuj taking a break at the end and yours truly wearing the official Tour de Loco T-shirt. We made it! 103.1 miles at 15.1 mph.

This was a great ride. The organizers did a wonderful job. I saw the SAG vehicles cruising the route regularly and assisting with flats and at least one broken chain and at least one broken spoke (I can relate to the broke spoke!). Rest stops were fully staffed with helpful folks and well-provisioned. Each stop was equipped with a clean porta-potty, something I've not encountered on previous organized centuries.

Having ridden 41 miles on The Forth and the century yesterday, I'm taking a break! C U later!

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picture threads featuring "fly over country" are the best!

My son is thinking about going to college in Joplin, BTW. I'll assure him there is indeed civilization there.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctor j View Post

These day lilies grew wild along the road in several spots. With the presence of the tiny white flowers amongst the lilies, it made for a nice natural arrangement.
    Those are called "Privy lillies" around here. Several of the county roads are loaded with them.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics on both threads, doc. I love that old garage...if only it could tell us all that it has seen.

My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doc J:

I see your photos are on photobucket.com.

Perhaps you could post a link to your albums so we can see your pics in the larger size/higher resolution, or re-size them a bit bigger where you have them linked on BF.

Thanks