Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my best ride ever yesterday!

heh heh...

No. No tales of struggling to surpass prevous milestones and attain new heights. It was a short ride which didn't even cover as much distance as my usual "I'm not really going for a ride" ride. I generally cover at least 16km (10 miles) on those rides, and this'n only covered 11.5km in distance. It was quite a bit slower than my normal riding, too.

The difference, and what made it so enjoyable for me, was that this time Mrs. CW came for a ride with me!

I've mentioned before that Mrs. CW isn't really a push bike person. Her recreation ride is a thump'n big cruiser motorbike. But I was fiddling about out in the shed yesterday, after lunch, and ended up swapping over the saddle from my son's flat bar road bike for a wider gel saddle I had laying about. I dropped the seat post down a bit, called out to Mrs. CW and asked her to jump on the thing and see how it felt to her.

It was still a bit high, so I dropped it down a wee bit more and next thing I knew Mrs. CW was smiling and saying "Grab your helmet, then. Let's go for a ride!"

That surprised me, in a nice way, and it was a really nice and mild winter's day for a ride so it had me smiling too. We headed off and when we got down to the end of the street I took the lead and headed us toward the highway out of town. I could see the look of consternation on Mrs. CW's face when we headed that way, but it soon disappeared when I turned off down one f the rural roads where I generally ride. We were chatting away as we rode at a nice, easy and leisurely pace, and Mrs. CW looked a bit surprised when I pointed out that we were travelling at 18 km/h. "That's why riding distances isn't really so hard" I told her. "The next main town is only really a few hours of easy riding away."

The conversation was sprinkled with a bit of chat about the bikes and about riding them. A bit further on I asked her if her bum was starting to hurt and the answer was a quick "Yes!" With a chuckle I stood up on the pedals and said "This helps. Let your bum air out a bit so it cools down!" I copped one of her famous "looks" for that, but had to chuckle again when a sideways glance now and then saw her practicing using the pedals rather than the saddle for support. She was enjoying herself, by the looks of things.

Mrs. CW's knees soon began to hurt a bit. She's not one to complain, but she remarked on it and I mentioned that I thought the saddle was mounted a wee bit too far forward for her. that wouldn't have been helping matters. "Never mind." I said. "We'll turn off at the roundabout up here and go visit outr granddaughters."

The youngest of the girls, Teaghan, is just starting to string sentences together, and she doesn't miss much. As I was parking the bike out front I could hear her inside, excitedly calling out "Nanna! Nanna! Nanna on a bike!"

It was a nice break, chatting with our son and daughter in law and with the girls. After we'd been there a little while the kids from out son's dance group started to turn up. They had a rehearsal for a performance they were scheduled to do today. I could see Mrs. CW starting to little a tiny bit edgy, so I said "Are you ready? We might as well keep going." I knew what the edgy looks were all about, of course. Mrs. CW isn't too comfortable with the take-offs and stops, and didn't want to risk falling over in front of a group of teenagers. Elders need to retain their dignity, after all!

We headed off over to the other side of town and pulled in for a cuppa with her brother and his wife, then headed back home. Afterwards, Mrs. CW remarked that it'd felt like 50 km but was probably only about 5. she looked kinda chuffed when I mentioned that the ride had actually covered 11.5km of distance, and that she deserved to feel proud of herself about it. Later, sitting back with a quickly thrown together evening meal, she remarked "You know what? I really enjoyed that ride today!"

I'm really chuffed too. She's never going to have an interest in cycling like the one I have, but I'm sure there's going to be more rides like that. And I'm really looking forward to them.

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good story!
    Hopefully her legs don't hurt too much tomorrow. She may end up making YOU pay for her sorrow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isn't love grand?

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is great that you all shared. Don't forget to do something that she likes in return and tell her why.

Life's wonderful
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way to go!
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.