0 Thread(s)

Did 54 miles . . . my age, yesterday and

Sometimes I feel, sometimes I feel,
    Like I been tied to the whipping post,
    Tied to the whipping post,
    Tied to the whipping post,
    Good Lord, I feel like I'm dyin'.

Allman Brothers band

Today I feel like I've been tied to the whipping post.

I am normally a raw foodist, eating sprouted grains, greens, etc.
    But yesterday, halfway through the ride I stopped at a restaurant and did the salad bar thing. The deviled eggs and looked soooo inviting I had two halves since I knew I needed my protein and fats. They were delicious!

The pic. is of me using my phone in a McDonalds having an ice tea. I sent that pic to my daughter's cell phone. She texted me back and said "nice pic. lol" (typical 15 year old girs)

Saw another cyclist riding through the little town of Brown City. So after my afternoon meal I took off and caught up with him. He informed me he was riding from New York, left on Monday, over 400 miles away (it was Sunday when we met), and he was riding to Claire, Michigan, about 200 more miles. He was riding an old Ross bike with shiney chrome rims and shifters on the down tube (or whatever tupe you call it) with paniers on the back. He didn't have much to carry though.

Anyway, last night as I was sleeping I had a terrible nightmare that my boss was firing me. I was rather irate with him in the dream. I woke up so happy it was just a dream but was hungry so had a banana and went back to sleep.

Getting to the half-way point of 27 miles was a piece of cake. The rest of the way home though was very hilly and my left knee started bothering me with about 10 miles left to go in the ride. My Mtb SPD's were causing my feet to burn. At one point I had to get off the bike and just stand by the side of the road till the pain subsided then I was good to go for another 10 miles.

I don't feel like I am getting enough calories on these long rides. Also my eyes feel like they have wind burn, like someone threw sand in them. What do you do for that?

I eventually want to work up to a century then ride from Almont to Columbus, Ohio which is around 250 miles. At this point I could never do a century unless I broke it up in 30 mile pieces.

What did you do to get ready for your first century or any century? Do you eat a massive dinner the night before? Did you ride a couple 50 milers during the week?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First off, congrats on riding your age.

As far as nutritional advise, you'll get plenty of good help from the folks
    here on this forum....I don't pay much attention to the nutrition posts as
    I don't do many marathon rides.

The one century I did ride, last Oct., I had a big Spagetti dinner the night
    before, grabbed two bottles of Gatorade and two bottles of water and just
    went out and rode. I met my wife and we had Cheeseburgers at the 85 mile
    mark. Far from a professional or good nutritional approach, but it worked for
    me.

Best of luck on your quest.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want some good advice on getting ready for a century look at the book "Cycling past 50". Good overall book on how to get the most out of your miles.

For me I spend most of the summer training for the centurys that come up starting the first week in Sept. I use half centurys and metrics as my training rides. This time of the year I am doing one of these rides/week. But I am looking at continually imporving my average speed on a century so don't take that as indicative of what is needed.

When I did my first century a few years back I had only 2 rides over 50 miles under my belt that summer. I found that you needed to drink as much as you could - and only 1/2 of that being water, you need to replinish electrolites and this is where sport drinks come in. You need to eat along the way, approx 300 cal/hour - a good rule of thumb is to eat every 1/2 hour so stock up at the sag points. Pace yourself - your first century is about finishing comfortably and not fast. On my first century I made a point of not using my big chain ring and trying to keep my speed down to 15mph on the flats except when drafting (and drafting as much as possible).

What would concern me on your post is the knee pain. This kept me from my first century goal for almost 10 years of riding until I figured it out and solved it. Because of knee pain my first century attempt ended as an aborted and very painful metric and the end to that biking season.

Good luck - let us know how it works out
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on riding your age. This theoretically gets tougher every year. In running, there's a similar goal of "running a 10K in less than your age", but at least that gets slightly easier as you go along.

For your century, you should target a local event ride like the Peach of a Ride (out of Memphis) or the Blue Water Ramble (St. Clair). Both are very flat, and if at the last minute you don't feel up to it, you can always opt for one of the shorter route options (65 for the Peach and 60 or 80 for the Ramble). I'll have to do one or the other this year to beat my age (61), and I'm not sure if I'll ever attempt a century unless the conditions are ideal (flat, cool, and no wind!).

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pain of getting up to sensible milage rides- Is Painfull.

Not getting many miles in at present and in fact my total milage for June was what I normally do in 1 week. SO----I will be going through the pain in a couple of weeks when I do get back to riding.

So you are only 54- you look older- but that is probably just the Mc D that did that. But only having a Tea did not doing you any favours. Find a better cafe and get some carbs inside you.

Prepare for future rides- Sounds as though you need some energy so start doing a Ride at the weekends that takes in a variety of Cafes. My favourite ride would be a fairly flattish 20 miles to a Cafe for breakfast- The whole hog of an English breakfast. Then a couple of hills taking in about 1500 ft of climbing over the next 15 miles to the next cafe that has the best Coffee in Sussex and a variety of PIE and cakes and gateaux and----(Just started drooling so going up to get changed and get the bike out for an evening ride For Coffee.) Then just a gentle 12 miles home.

This milage thing is not too important but I do suggest Carbo- loading before the next ride. Plenty of Pasta-Rice- Bread- Dried fruit and the best bit is that you have to have a sticky bun or two to keep the fat content up aswell. This makes it that weight goes up so you have to get out and do a few extra miles to burn off the lbs. Then on the ride- Take an energy drink with you and either find the cafes- or plenty of snacks. All you have to do is Drink and Eat- Then drink a bit more along with another snack and then eat and drink a bit more---Frequently.

Keep at it----It does get easier, Or so they say.

Well done on reaching that age without getting roped in already for an organised Metric- That is your next target but not next week.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, homebuilt recumbent
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By this time in the season, I do metric centuries every weekend, just for fun. That's more than my age, BTW. If a century ride comes up, I'll do it; the only prep I need is a good breakfast and to not have done a hard ride the day before. Oops, I've done that before too, but it tends to cut into my average speed.

It's been said that on a big ride, any food with calories is health food. True, to a point. Greasy stuff may have lots of calories, but they're not accessible calories. Carbs and a bit of protein and fat, and lots of water, that's the ticket!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday my left knee was hurting a little. Today I took just an 8 mile leasurely ride in the country. My left knee began to hurt so badly I had to pedal with my right leg.
    The pain is right on top of the knee right behind the knee cap. I must have strained it during the 54 mile ride.
    I don't know why 30+ miles ride don't hurt my knees but 54 does.
    I guess I'll have to take a little time from riding till the knee heals. Dag nab it anyway!!!
    I so much want to ride!
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your feet hurt you might need different shoes, or maybe they are too tight. Work on your spin so that you aren't mashing down all the time, try to pull up with your feet. Try to describe a circle as you spin the pedals. You may have to mash on the hills, but spin as much as you can.
    If your knee hurts you may need to adjust the cleats or try something else. You can't force the knees to twist or turn in a way they don't naturally go. I use Kneesavers pedal extenders because I toe-out. I rode with clips and straps with flat shoes and based my cleat position on the marks on those shoes.
    I use SPD pedals on all my bikes and my feet never hurt, even after climbing for hours. The shoes are the key, not the pedals. I've tried Look, Time, Shimano Look-type, and Mavic pedals. It's mostly about the shoes.

I get that eye problem with some glasses, but not if I use larger lenses, like Oakleys.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by big john View Post
    If your feet hurt you might need different shoes, or maybe they are too tight. Work on your spin so that you aren't mashing down all the time, try to pull up with your feet. Try to describe a circle as you spin the pedals. You may have to mash on the hills, but spin as much as you can.
    If your knee hurts you may need to adjust the cleats or try something else. You can't force the knees to twist or turn in a way they don't naturally go. I use Kneesavers pedal extenders because I toe-out. I rode with clips and straps with flat shoes and based my cleat position on the marks on those shoes.
    I use SPD pedals on all my bikes and my feet never hurt, even after climbing for hours. The shoes are the key, not the pedals. I've tried Look, Time, Shimano Look-type, and Mavic pedals. It's mostly about the shoes.

I get that eye problem with some glasses, but not if I use larger lenses, like Oakleys.
    Thanks big john. I wear Oalkeys size 11 but my true shoe size for walking is 9.5. The reason for the 11's is due to width. It is hard to find EEE width in biking shoes. I can strap down the shoes tight enough though on the Oakleys.
    I walk toe out and probably should toe out riding the bike too.
    The guy at the bike shope that measured me said I should eventually make my toes point straight while pedaling.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    Yesterday my left knee was hurting a little. Today I took just an 8 mile leasurely ride in the country. My left knee began to hurt so badly I had to pedal with my right leg.
    The pain is right on top of the knee right behind the knee cap. I must have strained it during the 54 mile ride.
    I don't know why 30+ miles ride don't hurt my knees but 54 does.
    I guess I'll have to take a little time from riding till the knee heals. Dag nab it anyway!!!
    I so much want to ride!
    My experience says you will need to curtail your riding for several weeks. What I found was that my knee pain was more of an overuse injury - once it flaired up my mileage steadly dropped the more I tried to ride - I would get hit around 40 miles and it would get so bad I could barely do an 8 mile ride. Over the years I tried everything, anti-inflamatory drugs, stretching, weight lifting, seat position, regular pedals. It wasn't until several years ago I found my solution. I started using a knee brace (the kind you find in the drugstore) for rides over 35 miles. My problem was tendonitis and the knee brace enhanced the blood flow until I could strengthen the knee. Last weekend I did a 75 mile ride on Friday and one on Sunday - I had forgotten my knee brace (it was out but just forgot it) - I had no knee problems - I guess I have been successful in strengthening the muscles around the knees. I will still use the brace for longer rides - for insurance.

This may or may not help you - my advice would be to take it easy for two weeks, then try the knee brace (they are cheap) and ease you miles back up slowly. Stop at the first sign of the knee pain - call home for a pickup - but stop immediately. If you struggle to get back home you will start all over again.

As far as the excessive foot pronation - speedplay pedals offer a great deal of float and rotation, you may want to consider them, I think the LBS guy is all wet.

I hope this does help and you find what works for you.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks cyclinfool,
    I will go to the drug store and pick up a knee brace. Is it the one where you can see the actual knee and the brace goes all the way around it?

Can you show a picture of yours or a URL of where to get one like yours?
    Last edited by Tony (Michigan); 07-08-08 at 07:53 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The guy at the bike shope that measured me said I should eventually make my toes point straight while pedaling.
    Don't let anyone tell you that you have to fit into some standard or ride like others do. If you need to toe-out, like I do, then you have to find a way to do that. If I try to make my feet straight, my knees will hurt. I have ridden close to 100,000 miles with my toes pointed out and my knees like it.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, congratulations on your 54 mile ride!

My favorite ride snack is something with refined + complex carbs, such as an oatmeal cookie w/nuts (homemade for the best ingredients). From the store, we like Nature Valley Oats 'n Honey bars.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Mtb SPD's were causing my feet to burn. At one point I had to get off the bike and just stand by the side of the road till the pain subsided then I was good to go for another 10 miles.
    I had issues with a hot foot.. pain would get very intense in my left foot after 30-40 miles. Getting off the bike for a few minutes would give me enough relief to continue.

I did a couple of things to solve this:

1) made sure the toe strap was fairly loose so my toes could move around in the shoe. On my Shimano RT51 shoes, I leave the toe strap only lightly tightened. The mid strap a bit tighter and the top strap firmly tightened.
    2) put inserts in with arch support.

I've not had any more trouble since... and just did a metric last week with NO foot pain at all.

My Bikes
    Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Congratulations from another former Michiganian. Oatmeal and a banana is my suggestion.Plus, an energy bar and a power drink. A good breakfast. Nothing greasy, but plenty of carbs. / Age can be irrelevant to fitness. I am 50 plus too. Todays ride, most elevation gain this year . 16 miles of non stop climbing.Mostly easy grades. / No elevation markings. It had to have been over 3000 feet. The view was awesome, wish I'd taken my camera. Keep at it, it will get easier.
    Pray for the Dead and Fight like Hell for the Living

^ Since January 1, 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclezealot View Post
    Congratulations from another former Michiganian. Oatmeal and a banana is my suggestion.Plus, an energy bar and a power drink. A good breakfast. Nothing greasy, but plenty of carbs. / Age can be irrelevant to fitness. I am 50 plus too. Todays ride, most elevation gain this year . 16 miles of non stop climbing.Mostly easy grades. / No elevation markings. It had to have been over 3000 feet. The view was awesome, wish I'd taken my camera. Keep at it, it will get easier.
    cyclezealot, thanks.
    BTW, in about a year or so I'm to move out to California. I used to live in Canyon Country (50 miles north of LA.
    I can't imagine 16 miles of upgrade! Wow! I can't wait to get into the same shape. Maybe some day our tires will cross paths.

Now if I can just get more info on a good knee brace.

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    always good to hear from someone seriously picking up the sport. congratulations! Just keep riding and it should get easier.
    As for that knee pain - you should probably look into some different pedals. speedplay offers more float than any other pedal; they're also the lightest pedal on the market. I finally had to switch from SPD;s when my knees would begin hurting within 2 miles of the house. I like to flair my knee when I need to mash and the spedplays allow me that flexibility. I think as we get older we often need more latitude with the pressure we put on our various joints.
    Hot feet? Never had that. Really never even heard of it.
    I don't worry too much about food. Breakfast is almost always oatmeal and some organic sausage. Maybe berries and brown sugar with the oatmeal. Ideally i ride around 11 AM (usually 16-20 miles with 1500 - 2000 ft elevation gain) after a red bull and a cliff bar. soup when i get back home. then dinner which is often some protein (steak/chicken/port) and salad/rice/veggie dish.
    Much depends on what state of conditioning/weight you are starting from.
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyclezealot, thanks.
    BTW, in about a year or so I'm to move out to California. I used to live in Canyon Country (50 miles north of LA.
    I can't imagine 16 miles of upgrade! Wow! I can't wait to get into the same shape. Maybe some day our tires will cross paths.

L.A.? When you're ready, I'll take you on this, it's a looong climb.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    cyclezealot, thanks.

Today's 16 miles was pretty much low grade climbing. I had far worse climbing when I did a 8 mile climb and the average grade was double today's percentage. Still, 16 miles seems like a long way to go. Yep. Maybe we will do some riding in Calif either this fall or next Spring. Ever ride in the Northern part of the Lower Peninsula. Some great riding over near Traverse City.

^ Since January 1, 2012

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cyclezealot, No, never biked the Northern lower Peninsula but have some property up there. It is on the Antrim county/Charlevoix county line and is truly beautiful rolling hill country!
    Well I finally purchased a knee brace at the local drug store. I hope it does not chaff the back of my leg as I ride.

Big John, that wouldn't happen to be Rt. 2 up to Mt. Baldy would it? I MUST cycle that when I move out there. I used to camp out on Mt. Baldy and around Baden Powell.
    Also the road that goes to Mt. Pinos is a very long road with a decent grade to it. I MUST do that too!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is indeed Route 2. The climb is starting near the 210 and the descent is Hwy 39 into Duarte. The 2 doesn't go to Mount Baldy Village, it goes behind the mountain on the way to Wrightwood. There is a section from Hwy 39 to Vincent Gap which is closed to cars and has been for several years. We love that!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a view from the top of Mt Pinos. The village down there is Pine Mountain Club. I lived there from 1993-97. I took the mtb up there.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Tony (Michigan);7032304]cyclezealot, No, never biked the Northern lower Peninsula but have some property up there. It is on the Antrim county/Charlevoix county line and is truly beautiful rolling hill country!
    Well I finally purchased a knee brace at the local drug store. I hope it does not chaff the back of my leg as I ride.

Been awhile since being on Michigan's West coast. Antrim county. Awesome. If they have decent bike lanes, check out the Tunnel of the Trees, heading north towards Mackinac.

^ Since January 1, 2012