Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did 60 on the 5th!!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did 60 on the 5th!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-08, 07:29 AM

Bikes: Aegis Trident (Big Red)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Did 60 on the 5th!!

Had planned to bike to a friend's house on the 5th of July, have a cookout and watch fireworks. I thought her house was about 60 miles from mine so a little less than a metric.

The day started of overcast and drizzly here in the northeast, and they predicted showers on and off. My wife said I should consider postponing due to weather, but in the end I decided to chance it. Started slow and was sore ( had run 2 days before, strategic error, quads sore as hell ). But after the first hour I felt better.

When I got close to my friend's house, I noticed that I had only gone 51 miles, so I rode right past and made up 9 more for a total of 60. I had done 40 miles two weeks previously, and now feel as if I could do more. Burned a bunch of calories and enjoyed pearl hot dogs, gumbo and beer after the ride.

I will be 60 in December and hadn't ridden that far in over 30 years. Got a lot of great advice here from my fellow 50ers. Thanks to all. Thinking about 90 miles later this month. Sorry no pics.
Old 07-08-08, 07:51 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations. You've got the "ride your age" done early

We'll need pics from your 90 mile ride. Of course that's so close to a century so you might want to think about setting that milestone, too

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-08-08, 09:13 AM

Bikes: Specialized Tricross Comp, Custom Steel Sport Touring, Specialized Turbo Vado 4.0 SL

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Congratulations. This group is a good source of info and encouragement. My 60th birthday is also coming up (in August) and I just did my 60 last Tuesday. Before that 40 miles was about my max. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought I could do something like that. Now, 15 pounds lighter and in the best shape of the last 20 years, it seems easy.
Old 07-08-08, 09:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you're ready for a full century later this month. Cut out the running right before, and use the same strategy... ride your 90 miles and keep going for another 10. Should be a piece of cake.
Old 07-08-08, 12:10 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BSLeVan
Sounds like you're ready for a full century later this month. Cut out the running right before, and use the same strategy... ride your 90 miles and keep going for another 10. Should be a piece of cake.
Or maybe....................a piece of pie? Thanks all for the words of encouragement, and will not forget the camera next time.
Old 07-08-08, 12:20 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Nice going. Ain't it fun? If I had a nickel for everytime someone said, "A year ago I wouldn't have thought I could ride _____ miles" I'd have enough for a gallon of gas, of which I am using less now.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-08-08, 12:38 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
So much fun that I am thinking I might bike to a spot on cape cod where i will be going fishing later this month. 90 miles, will meet a friend, fish the next day and head home.
Old 07-08-08, 12:55 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Or maybe....................a piece of pie? Thanks all for the words of encouragement, and will not forget the camera next time.
I'm sorry but I can overlook one breaking of the Birthday Ride regs- so perhaps the forgetting the camera is admissible- but not to have pie on the ride means that the ride has to be done again- It does not count. Just hope you didn't do it on a white bike (No pics so we can't tell) as if you did- that would be 3 infringements and you would then have to do it on a rainy day.

EDIT- Just noticed that your birthday is not till December so this was A "Ride Your Age Ride". Take it all back as this can be done at any time in the year---- So forget the rainy day.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-08-08 at 12:58 PM.
Old 07-08-08, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on a Great Ride.
Old 07-10-08, 06:55 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stapfam
I'm sorry but I can overlook one breaking of the Birthday Ride regs- so perhaps the forgetting the camera is admissible- but not to have pie on the ride means that the ride has to be done again- It does not count. Just hope you didn't do it on a white bike (No pics so we can't tell) as if you did- that would be 3 infringements and you would then have to do it on a rainy day.

EDIT- Just noticed that your birthday is not till December so this was A "Ride Your Age Ride". Take it all back as this can be done at any time in the year---- So forget the rainy day.
It was raining for part of the ride anyway. But yes, it was a birthday ride. But when i do the 90 later this month, I guess it wont be, can't do them that far in advance.
Old 07-10-08, 07:09 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Congrats on the 60!

What's your plan for the 90?

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-10-08, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
60 doing 60, sounds great to me. You must be in great shape. I wonder if even 10% of Americans who are 60 could ride a bike 60 miles. Congrats!
Old 07-14-08, 02:07 PM

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
Congrats on the 60!

What's your plan for the 90?
The plan is to take the same approach as the 60. Start early in the morning when it is cooler, maybe 5:30 or 6:00am. Ride an hour, take a break, ride the next hour, another break, then stop every 45 minutes or so. Energy drinks an bars. Ride to finish, not for time. enjoy the scenery etc.

Have been doing moderate rides since the 60, 20 to 25 miles at a time, cross training at the gym. I had done 40 approximately 2 weeks before the 60 and used the same approach, so I am hoping that the success will continue. Looking forward to an enjoyable, long ride on the 25th. Then some striper fishing the next day
Old 07-14-08, 05:49 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Timtruro
Burned a bunch of calories and enjoyed pearl hot dogs, gumbo and beer after the ride.
That qualifies as a great ride in my book.