jwh
    My Bikes
    Trek Fuel EX8, Miyata 914,Trek Madone 5.2, Kona Jake The Snake
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comfort road bikes?

I'm going to start looking for a new road bike. The one I have now is a '92 Myatia 914 (short wheelbase, shift levers on the down tube) it is very quick but no fun on long rides.
    I want a comfortable road bike in the $1500 - $2000 price range.
    I've heard that the Specialized Rouabix? is a nice riding bike.
    What other options should I consider?

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trek Pilot 2.1 or 5.0
    Giant OCR A0
    Marin Verona
    Cannondale Synapse 5
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had been riding hybrids for a year and wanted a lighter bike but not one with an aggressive geometry. In our search for road bikes with a relaxed "comfort" geometry, we settled on the Specialized Roubaix. We swapped out the stem for a higher stem to get us a little closer to the bars, and narrower bars to get our hands a little closer together (which, in turn, raises the shoulders a little). The narrow bars also fit our shoulder width.

In addition to having a relaxed geometry, the Roubaix is also a very nice riding bike. Lots of review comments saying that it does smooth out bumps.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would highly recommend looking at the Fuji CCR series. They are specifically designed with more "relaxed" angles in order to be more comfortable than the more traditional road bikes. Older and less flexible? Additionally, they come with nice components. The top tube on the CCR is also sloping.

Fuji Road Bikes
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All else being equal I'm a big fan of steel frames. They just seem to soften the impacts better than aluminium. I'm basing this on having ridden like 6 of each style a fair amount over the last few years.

And on top of that if you're after a little more comfy riding posture but still as serious and you want then what about something like the Surly Crosscheck or Soma Double cross? In any event I'm tossing in for the cyclocross option. Room for tires as big as you want and fenders if you need them. Plus many of them have brazeons for rack mounting if that's an issue.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

jwh
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to all for the response.
    I never thought of looking at cyclocross bikes, good idea.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another steel option would be to build up (or have your LBS do it) a Surly Pacer or Soma Smoothie ES frame.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Habanero Ti. I have an S-Works Roubaix and my Habanero Team Issue Ti is more comfortable. However, the bikes are not the same size. The Habanero, by design is a tighter bike in terms of geometry. So, I purchased it in the next larger size. This allows me to move the handlebars up just a tad. There is no comparison between the two rides. Five, six or seven hours on the Habanero and I'm tired but not sore anywhere. That much time on the Roubaix and I'm a bit more tired and sometimes sore.

One other thing I would recommend for comfort, and that is careful selection of the seat. For me that is the Selle An-Atomica - expensive and worth every cent.

http://www.habcycles.com/index.html
    http://www.selleanatomica.com/
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Habanero looks like a nice bike, but I'm not sure you could build one within the OP's $1.5K-$2K price range.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The most comfortable bikes I have ever owned have been circa 1960 road bikes with relaxed geometries and lightweight moly steel frames. These bikes were engineered for long distance European road races over cobblestones.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    The Habanero looks like a nice bike, but I'm not sure you could build one within the OP's $1.5K-$2K price range.
    I built mine for under $2000. Took some deliberate shopping on e-bay, but under $2000 with Ultegra SL and Mavic Open Pros.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jamis has some nice bikes and to me they offer a better value per dollar than a lot of others. My bike is titanium and comfortable, but the most comfortable bikes I have owned and ridden were the steel ones. Here is a steel Jamis that lists for $1400 with shimano 105 components. http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...s/08quest.html

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be aware that not every bike with a sloped top tube is a comfort-oriented bike. Some still maintain a racing geometry. Compact geometry is not equivalent to comfort geometry.

Likewise a traditional geometry bike can be comfort / touring oriented.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might also look at building up a Salsa Casserroll or Gunnar Sport. These are road bikes with "longer" and lower geometries for an easier riding position and smooth handling.

I have both a Gunnar Sport and Specialized Roubaix. They both have their strengths but both are excellent for long distances with the Roubaix being lighter and more responsive and the Sport ultimately being more comfortable over the long haul.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Comfort on the long road rides for $2K? How about a Rans Stratus...come over to the dark side.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't beat the Rans Comfy Chair for comfort.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Electra Glide

My Bikes
    Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Touring bikes are meant for comfort for the long haul. Ask in the touring forum. It is too late for you to get a Bruce Gordon for under $2,000.
    This space open

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to try out a cyclocross bike with a steel frame, then check your local Trek store for closeout specials on the LeMond Poprad. Trek is dropping the LeMond line.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might not be what you want to hear but my older friends tell me that the most comfortable road bike around is the recumbent.

My Bikes
    Trek 1000C, Raleigh M50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm happy with my Trek 1000c. Unfortunately, the whole road comfort series has been discontinued, so you'd have to find a used one. It has 28c tires, relaxed geometry, and a suspension seat post.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfield Cat View Post
    This might not be what you want to hear but my older friends tell me that the most comfortable road bike around is the recumbent.
    Find new friends.

jwh
    My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the good sugestions!
    I was looking at a Cannondale Synapse 3 today. It looked nice, all Ultergra,Mavic wheels and carbon frame.
    It was a little out of the price range at $2250.00, but I can pack a lunch for a couple months to make up the difference!

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you take it for a spin?

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hubby tried a Cannondale Synapse and liked it very much. He has very bad shoulders and cannot put much weight on his arms; he found the geometry of that bike very comfortable for him.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast