Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Never trust a smiling dog
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Duh! Saddle height

Just a note on the importance of getting saddle height perfectly dialed in.

I haven't been riding much this summer (new city, new house, tough at work, etc) so in the last 3 weeks with the drier weather in the PNW I start riding my 2 older road bikes. Something wasn't quite right, I didn't attribute it to my riding position but to a lack of fitness. Developed soreness on the front of my right kneecap after a few miles of riding at a moderate pace - nothing serious, but definately worrisome. Did I strain it with all the moving?

To make a long story short, I hopped on one of my newer road bikes this afternoon and went for a 20 mi ride - no knee pain at all. Tonight I found out that my son had lowered the saddle for his own comfort on the older bikes - "...only a few mm, Dad, I swear - it shouldn't make any difference".

Well only a few millimeters of saddle height adjustment can make a big difference. Thought I'd share.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    an old trick I recall from earlier riding days:

mark your saddle post with a waterproof marker. instant, easy identifier for whenever you remove / replace your seat (or the kid borrows the bike)

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloOldSpokes View Post
    an old trick I recall from earlier riding days:

mark your saddle post with a waterproof marker. instant, easy identifier for whenever you remove / replace your seat (or the kid borrows the bike)
    I measure from the top of the saddle to the top of the bottom pedal in line with the seat tube. For me that's exactly 36". That way I can quickly adjust any bike that I want to ride.

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use a similar measurement when I am making my homebuilt recumbents...from the back of the seat to where I need to plan on installing the pedals.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did a ride earlier in the year after changing cranks on the TCR. It came with a standard crank 172.5. before it left the shop-I changed it to a compact in 165 and kept the standard crank. Just to see what they were like- I put the standard crankset on. Adjusted the front derailler and chain length and went out for a twenty mile ride. Did a lot of riding the hills out of the saddle as when I put pressure in- the Butt got a twinge and the thighs hurt. So the standard crank was not for me.

Except- I had not adjusted for the different crank length The saddle was just a bit too high---7,5mm to be exact. Readjusted saddle height and my first thought was correct. The standard crank is not for me.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I changed to 10MM shorter cranks a few weeks ago, so I went out for a flat 10 mile "test drive".
    I expected them to "feel different", but I was about 3 miles into it before I remembered I'd forgot to raise the seat. Sure wish I headed straight home and adjusted the seat, instead of finishing the ride! Mr. Knee was sore for a couple days.