Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Mods strike again!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mods strike again!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-08, 05:55 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mods strike again!

I see some moderator is active in 50+ again. The thread where Will asked about Wisconsin Rail Trails and where I answered his questions was moved. Hopefully this now won't start happening with all of our threads about various localities, as we've had a number of them.

As far as I'm concerned, when a thread is moved out of 50+, then it is dead to me. If anyone in the new forum where it landed asks any questions about my posts in it, they aren't going to get a response because I won't be reading it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-12-08, 06:06 PM

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I agree with your last sentiment. I rarely, if ever, follow a "moved" link because it's likely to take me to a forum in which I have no interest. But you know about mods... a power unto themselves.
Old 07-12-08, 06:45 PM
Humvee of bikes =Worksman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Sour grapes fella's? No one is perfect ya know.

I will admit for a Mod to move, or edit, a thread and not take by name
credit is a bit low in my book.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?
Old 07-12-08, 06:51 PM

Sour grapes? After all the posting I've done here in five years, I've had one thread moved. Several deleted, but they were close to the edge anyway. This issue was dealt with extensively and acrimoniously several weeks ago. Apparently, the lessons remain unlearned for the BF mod gang... that is, if in doubt, leave it alone!
Old 07-12-08, 06:52 PM
Roadkill

Bikes: 2002 Lightspeed Classic; 2010 Pedalforce RS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the mod moved it because it he thought it might be of interest to folks in another forum, I wouldn't have much problem with that. If it was not appropriate to forum, it should be deleted.

If he moved it because it was off topic, if it was of interest to a 50+er, it was on topic, by definition.
Old 07-12-08, 06:58 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It certainly wasn't off-topic. It was about biking the rail trails in Wisconsin & the current conditions of some of those trails & the roads to access them. Will & I, as 50+'ers, enjoy riding on those trails and have frequently shared our experiences on them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 07-12-08, 07:08 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
50+ Should be a Mod Free Zone!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 07-12-08, 07:52 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My guess is that the mod thought he/she was doing a favor moving it to the regional forum encompassing Wisconsin, where it might get a broader response.
Old 07-12-08, 07:55 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-12-08, 08:36 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just open another thread.
Old 07-12-08, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I wonder...has a thread ever been moved to the 50+ forum?

Just sayin'.
Old 07-12-08, 09:35 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
My guess is that the mod thought he/she was doing a favor moving it to the regional forum encompassing Wisconsin, where it might get a broader response.
I don't doubt this. But a large percentage of threads in 50+ could be moved if the same criteria is applied to them. Only those that are specifically addressing issues that have to do with being over 50 would be immune.

All of the threads on n+1 bikes, tires, clipless, riding to Portland, saddles, cycling clothes, biking Virginia, and so on and so forth could be moved to other forums. That's not even touching the ones that could technically be moved to Foo.

Old 07-12-08, 10:15 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Just nobody move the pardeeville thread. That would be very embarrassing.
Old 07-12-08, 10:19 PM
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
As a mod - as a practice, if I were to move, delete or edit something my usual protocol would be to PM the OP and let them know where I moved it and why. I also would post in the thread that it was moved. I usually would leave a redirect so others will know where it is. Perhaps the OP was notified and was okay with it and could chime in and let us all know.

???
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 07-12-08, 10:20 PM

Bikes: Trek 7700, C'dale R2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These guys are a pain in the butt. Don't they have nothing else to do?
How about worrying about the stock market instead?
Old 07-12-08, 10:48 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Stock Market.
30-year reunion.
Flooded bike paths.
Threads being moved.
High Humidity.
Gas Prices.
Old 07-12-08, 10:49 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by will dehne
These guys are a pain in the butt. Don't they have nothing else to do?
How about worrying about the stock market instead?
We've now heard from the OP.

Old 07-12-08, 10:50 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Solveg,

Are you feeling any better?

Still planning to be in Wisconsin this coming weekend?

Old 07-12-08, 10:57 PM
Squirrel

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am* still going to go to Wisconsin, but the riding portion of the trip will be lessened. We'll still ride trails, though, but we'll take it day by day. I'm neg for lymes and parasites, but still not back to normal. I'm anemic, so I'm hoping a weeks worth of taking iron will make me feel like a biking fool.

Can't wait to do that long tunnel.

Are you still leaving* Wisconsin that weekend? I hope not... I was hoping for some cooler weather. Or in the summer, do you bring heat and humidity?
Old 07-13-08, 12:45 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
This has been going on for too many years to worry about now. I have just started reading the old post's and on the last few pages of the 50+ forum- quite a few postings that to me relate to 50+ and cycling have been moved. Prize one is as on the link and originally appeared on page 177.

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=80780

Remember- BIG brother is watching you. Or at least reading your post's and poking his/ her oar in where it is not wanted.

Spike Milligan

Last edited by stapfam; 07-13-08 at 12:50 AM.
Old 07-13-08, 02:42 AM

Doesn't it strike you all the old names who don't participate on BFs anymore?

Same thing happened in Touring with a six-year-old thread that was revived (unbelievable). And another that has been revived several times in the past six years. Interesting recalling some of the entertainment that some of the characters provided before they were banned (D*Alex, N-C [now he was really, really scary, literally!], Koffee, for example). And what about Pokey and his bargeloads of applesauce... ahhhh, they were the days.

And I think many would now be eligible for admission to this village.

And I suppose I should remember... it could have been Koffee we're dealing with...
Old 07-13-08, 05:02 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have seen threads moved but I have never seen a thread copied. Just saying if it is so good that it needs to go into another forum maybe it also needs to stay where it is also.
Old 07-13-08, 05:21 AM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by byte_speed
If the mod moved it because it he thought it might be of interest to folks in another forum, I wouldn't have much problem with that. If it was not appropriate to forum, it should be deleted.

If he moved it because it was off topic, if it was of interest to a 50+er, it was on topic, by definition.
I think moving threads to ENABLE access for non-50+ ers is nonsense. Why don't most of us look at multiple forums, to find information we want? I routinely surf Great Lakes, C&V, Mechanics, 50+, Long Distance, Road, Training, and sometimes General. I see many of the same names here as in those other forums, generally not disjoint sets of users. People will browse many areas if they want to find information. There's no need to move it for better access.
Old 07-13-08, 05:32 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Rowan
And I suppose I should remember... it could have been Koffee we're dealing with...
Very scary thought!

And, yes, I really could never understand why D*Alex was banned - all he did was "tell it like it is!"
Old 07-13-08, 06:38 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe the mod who moved it will speak up. I suspect it was one who has not been hanging around lately - a hit & run new mod.

In general I have to believe that they are just trying to be helpful - but if I had started that thread and it were moved - it would be the last time I looked at it because I don't venture out of this sand box.

When you get to be 50+ you can get disoriented easily and I don't want to get lost and not find my way back home...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.