Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone ever been a bike jacking victim?

I haven't been, but has anybody ever been a victim of a bike jacking. I sometimes get worried becasue I ride alone on a fairly expensive bike and I wonder if it could happen.

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have never worried about that, but I have lost two unattended cheapo bikes and one front wheel to theft.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another upside to speedplay Zeroes. I can imagine watching someone try to swipe a bike with pedals like that, and give up after about 100 yards.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My commuter is rather plain. My road bike is flashy and I generally don't commute on it. Why invite trouble?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a group ride we stopped at a quikie mart for a break. Everyone was inside and 2 guys in a pickup were eying up several of the bikes. Put my stuff on the counter and went outside so nothing happened but I would think that is how bikes most often get lifted. If I was going to steal a high end bike that is how I would do it, a grab and dash.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year a friend had her Trek 5200 on her bike rack. On her way home she was stopped at a railroad crossing and a man grabbed it from the rack and ran. She reported it to the police and kept checking in with them every couple weeks to see if they had recovered it. After a couple months she purchased another bike and assumed she would never see this one again.

Recently (8 months after the theft) she received a call from the police saying they had recovered her bike. They said they knew the bike was just a little too small for the fellow riding it so they stopped him. When they checked on the serial number it turned out to be hers. My friend is 5'3" and the fellow riding it was 6'3" It was pretty trashed but the LBS says they can restore it.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California's first Three-Strikes criminal sentencing went to a bike jacker.

The news made a big deal out of it because one of the things the anti-three strikes people didn't like was that the third strike could be "any felony" and not a "violent felony". So they reported "This guy's going to jail for 25 years for stealing a bicycle" (I guess that sounds not too terrible to the gen pop). They didn't report as much that the guy jacked the bicycle at knifepoint and had two previous violent felony convictions.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    On a group ride we stopped at a quikie mart for a break. Everyone was inside and 2 guys in a pickup were eying up several of the bikes. Put my stuff on the counter and went outside so nothing happened but I would think that is how bikes most often get lifted. If I was going to steal a high end bike that is how I would do it, a grab and dash.
    Heard of a group riding London that had a similar thing happen- except that the would be thief actually picked up a bike and walked off with it. He did not get very far as he walked in the direction of a couple of the group as they came out of a shop. And the would be thief was in Lycra and wearing a helmet. Just waiting for idiots to leave their bikes.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    They said they knew the bike was just a little too small for the fellow riding it so they stopped him. When they checked on the serial number it turned out to be hers. My friend is 5'3" and the fellow riding it was 6'3" It was pretty trashed but the LBS says they can restore it.
    That was some really smart police work.
    2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact
    1982 Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I'll chime in as the first 50+ who has actually been bike jacked.

I was riding to school in L.A. after work and noticed 3 teens following me on their bikes. They looked like gang members, but I wasn't concerned because I was on my new Centurion Pro Tour and on the start of a 10 mile trip, so I knew I could outrun them.

What I hadn't counted on was another gang that came up on us in a 1964 Chevy Impala. The gang in the Impala assessed the situation and quickly slammed me to the curb with the fender of the car.

I tried to get away but quickly had 7 people around me. The heavy curly cable in my backpack cushioned a hard blow from a baseball bat. I even tried using the Pro-tour to cut a path through the crowd, but I found out that I tired faster than I would have thought. So it got to me or the bike.

Last I saw the bike, it was suspended in the air with one gang on either end. I was walking away to the police station two blocks away.

When I got there, the cops wouldn't believe me until a witness called in to report the crime. She even identified one of my attackers. That put them into high gear and they took a report. Grand theft and assault with a witness and all they could do was take a report. That was insult to the injury.

The next night, I took my American Eagle/Nishiki to school and dropped 10 minutes off of a 50 minute commute time in one night. Pure paranoia. It led in part to me going off to another city to finish my college degree a year later. But I had to ride those streets again till I felt confident on them, at least to a degree. I wasn't going to let them scare me into not riding to work and school.

It also affected me in that I wouldn't spend much on a bicycle until almost 30 years later. I won't buy a bike I can't afford to lose.

I've had other bikes stolen from garages and when locked, but this is the only real bike jacking where it was stolen out from under me.
    Last edited by Artkansas; 07-14-08 at 09:03 PM.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw, mayan, that sucks, Art. Kudos to you for not being intimidated. That's big.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

GGE
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar experience to Artkansas'. One Sunday afternoon at a busy intersection in New Orleans (I was a graduate student on my way to my office), two guys on one bike came up behind me; one jumped off, hit me over the head with a brick (I think; I didn't see it, I'm going by what a witness told me later), then cold-cocked me in the face, and stole my bike. I woke up in the ambulance; I don't remember everything, some of this I learned from witnesses. My helmet definitely saved me; there is a crease in skull still that matches the even larger crease my helmet suffered.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to admit this thought crossed my mind during my ride last Saturday.
    I had no particular destination in mind, just kind of a vague, whimsical direction to follow
    In the end, it took me through one of the -uh- lesser neighborhoods of the City and I must admit to feeling a bit conspicuous in my jersey and shorts and $2000 bicycle. Hell, my cleats/pedals probably cost more than some of these folks make in a week.
    At one point, I rode past a long line of people who were all kind of string at me... my Spanish is old and long-forgotten so I couldn't quite make out the signs. Then I saw one in English: "Free Food Giveaway"
    Right then I wondered about somebody coming up to me at a red light or something and stealing my bike from me at gunpoint. At that point, I turned around and headed back for home. Not a relaxing ride at all.
    It's a thin line, people...
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was younger a bunch of punks came out into the street and blocked me so I had no choice but to stop. They surrounded me, pushed me off the bike and took off riding it. A few days later I saw a guy on my bike from my living room window coming down the street toward my house. I was so mad that I went down to the garage, opened it, got a baseball bat and waited. When he was almost in front of my house, I ran toward him with the bat in the air, prepared to hit him. I just couldn't do it. So I shoved the handle of the bat in the spokes and over he went.

I yelled at him, picked up my bike put it into the garage and shut it.

Never heard from him again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a semi-unrelated note - I know a guy who was in the Navy in Norfolk VA. Some nights he'd walk to the bars and on the way back to the ship he would sometimes see folks riding bikes that may have been stolen - he'd yell "Hey! That's my bike!" and every once in a while the guy would drop the bike and run away and Navy guy would ride the bike back to base.
    http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha ha!! That's a good one!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A while after we moved out of our apartment in San Diego, my ex and I heard a distressing story. One of our neighbors and his wife came back home and noticed a fellow across the street on a bike exactly like the wife's. They parked and went into their apartment to check to see if her bike was where it should be. It wasn't.

The fellow went out across the street and confronted the fellow on his wife's bike. The fellow on the bike pulled out a *** and shot him point blank, killing him.

A year before I'd had a beautiful Bianchi Eros stolen out of my garage. I actually saw the fellow, but was a block from home and realized that the bike was gone, but that I had to get home to protect my wife's stuff. As it happened I was able to catch up to another fellow who was making off on foot with my toolbox. When he dropped the tool box, I went for it and he got away. The cops wanted to know why I didn't apprehend the perp. The event above was the answer.
    "He who serves all, best serves himself" Jack London

Quote Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
    I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry for anyone who has experienced this kind of abuse.

Slightly off topic, but I was able to insure my Look for roughly $40 a year on my home owners insurance policy. While it would not take away the sting of being violated, at least you can get your wheels back. Just add in some value for the sinking dollar as our frames and components are going to cost more.

Cinelli ProBestOf / Parlee Z5 / '89 Cinelli SuperCorsa / Look 585 Optima - all Campagnolo
    '85 Swiss Cilo / SingleSpd 44x18 for fun / Electra Techino's for city riding

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Long ago, when $400 was a lot to spend on a bike. I was on my way home and had to go through a town that was not known for it's friendly people(it had gotten worse over the years). Since I was on the major streets I thought I didn't have to worry too much. At the edge of the downtown area, where traffic thinned, I saw some kids standing on the corner, one on each side of the street, two where holding pieces of broom handle, and the other a softball sized rock. So I did the only sensible thing, Put it on the big ring, and dropped the hammer. I figured if one of them got close enough to put a stick in my spokes, he was going to be the target and would pay by getting hit by a bicycle going 25mph, and we would go down together. As luck would have it, all three of the little criminals where looking in the opposite direction from where I was coming. The one with the rock, turned and saw me and started to yell to his friends, but it was too late. When they turned, I was moving too fast for them to get to me before I passed them. But mr rock was able to throw the rock at me. It was a nice well aimed throw, but not enough juice, it hit my rear wheel. Just hard enough to knock it out of true, and put a scratch in the rim. At that point I slowed, just enough to turn my head and yell "F*** YOU, A*****E". Then the hammer got dropped again until I was well out of range. And I didn't stop to check the bike until I got home.

My Bikes
    '96 Trek 5500 OCLV, '05 Trek 6500 SLR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    When I was younger a bunch of punks came out into the street and blocked me so I had no choice but to stop. They surrounded me, pushed me off the bike and took off riding it. A few days later I saw a guy on my bike from my living room window coming down the street toward my house. I was so mad that I went down to the garage, opened it, got a baseball bat and waited. When he was almost in front of my house, I ran toward him with the bat in the air, prepared to hit him. I just couldn't do it. So I shoved the handle of the bat in the spokes and over he went.
    Another fine use for a Louisville Slugger!
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!"