User Tag List

My Bikes
    Schwinn Heavy Duty , Schwinn Cross-Cut, Raleigh Olympian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Magical Saddle ?????

I'm a newby at riding , a little over a month . I've tried a few different saddles , some comfort models , some gels , padded , etc. I kept reading about the Brooks B17 . I looked around for one and found they make one in British Racing green with copper rivets . I figured it'd look good on my dark green Schwinn Voyageur 7 and if it didn't help , I read I could send it back within thirty days and get my money back less the shipping . So I ordered one from Nashbar. The first day I put it on , I only had time to ride about 5-6 miles on it and that was in short runs back to the house to adjust the "fit" . Well I must have hit the sweet spot , I went this morning to ride my normal 10 miler and rode 12.7 , my longest distance so far and , I have very little discomfort in the sitting area . If I'd had time, I think I could have gone for 20 . Don't know whether I can contribute it all to the saddle , but (pun intended) so far, it looks like I'll have to order at least one more Brooks ,for the Schwinn Le Tour III I just picked up and going to fix up. kirby

My Bikes
    Trek 1500, Trek 7300FX, Cannondale RT3000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good saddle choice. Resist the temptation to perform any radical break-in procedures. Although it doesn't sound like you'll be tempted. I'm a 55 year old 210 pounder and I ride Brooks saddles on all of my bikes. I think the break-in period for a Brooks saddle is proportional to the time required to get the position dialed-in.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the club. Those of us for whom Brooks saddles work are truly blessed. I'll have to take people at their word when they say Brooks saddles are not comfortable to them, but I really feel sorry for them. I have found no other saddle that is anywhere remotely near to the comfort I have while riding a B17.

As Skipper said, don't listen to people who tell you to use extreme methods to break in your saddle.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Selle An-Atomica Titanico. Expensive but well worth it.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just don't buy this one off of eBay. That's black plastic, not leather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ewww. Knock off Brooks??? The NERVE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    Ewww. Knock off Brooks??? The NERVE!
    It really looks ugly when you enlarge the thumbnail picture.

My Bikes
    Schwinn Heavy Duty , Schwinn Cross-Cut, Raleigh Olympian
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on me and my Brooks . I went 16.1 miles this morning . Not ready to tackle a century yet , but I'm getting there. I know 16 miles doesn't sound like a lot to most of you , but it's quite an accomplishment in my book . And this wasn't flat land , there was a few hills mixed in . Avg. speed is over 11 mph now too. kirby