Thread: Hello Headwind!

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Headwind!

Monday is now my day off. Old guys ought to have Mondays off. I hit the road early to run errands and get some pedaling time in. Accomplished the errands (added 15 to 20lbs to my already plus 30lbs bike) Then I decided to take the 10 mile turn around the lake.. Really awsome I'm averaging 15 mph for ther first 12 miles of the day thought I must be younger and skinnier than yesterday then I turned North and HELLO HEADWIND! Dropped from the tall gears down to lower and I'm pedaling like mad for 8 to 10 mph for the next 3 miles when I finally turned west it was done but so was I. Apparently I'm still old and fat but there's always tomorrow.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are taking the wrong day off- On my days off I always do a circular route with a Tailwind all the way--Or it would be if I went the other way.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Going out with a tailwind I often feel that I must be stronger and faster than I thought. The turn-around always brings me back to earth.

Funny but I can remember lots of rides with a tailwind outbound followed by struggling against a headhead wind on the return leg. I can't remember ever battling a headwind outbound and breezing home on a tailwind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In a head wind I keep reminding myself of what a good workout I'm getting. Although I can never quite convince myself that I'm right.

My Bikes
    Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    Going out with a tailwind I often feel that I must be stronger and faster than I thought. The turn-around always brings me back to earth.

Funny but I can remember lots of rides with a tailwind outbound followed by struggling against a headhead wind on the return leg. I can't remember ever battling a headwind outbound and breezing home on a tailwind.
    Ain't that the way! Although I did get a tailwind in a storm coming home recently. It's that time of the year in Florida we're getting storms every afternoon. If I'm lucky it's clear at 6pm and I get home before the bottom drops out. If not, I get wet before I get home. Fellow told me 40 years ago that I wasn't sugar and sh__ wouldn't melt but dodging lightning bolts if more fun than I care for. Once or twice I've had to call my wife to rescue me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wind is like a hill, except it's a great opportunity to practice riding in the drops. Makes a big difference in the effort required to keep a good speed.

My Bikes
    Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the summer I consider a good head wind as air conditioning. In the winter it is a sign to turn around and go home.
    George
    Laissez les bon temps rouler

VNA
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You want to make yourself as small as possible against the wind--but I do not like feeling pushed around--hills are so much more predictable, on the other hand it is no fun when it is hot going up hill and wishing for more wind to keep cool!

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oops. I accidently hit a bad key.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This happened to me today, too. Headed out on a solo ride. After getting out of town (about 2 miles) I was tooling along on a flat stretch. My average speed was 15.9, but I was in a bit of tailwind. 16.2. 16.5. At about 8 miles I hit a brand new paved portion of the road. Suddenly, 17 mph average seemed possible. Yep, hit it. Now, I'm going slightly up hill, but don't feel any wind. 17.1. 17.4. Now I'm at the top and it's flat. I push a bit so I can get to 17.5 by the turn around. I made it.

Now, I head back, but make a turn downhill. I was disappointed that by the bottom of the 1.5 miles, I was only at 17.6 ave, due to the headwind. Now, I'm on the flat. At my official break, I'm down to 16.8 with 18 miles of head wind home. Pulled into my driveway at 15.8 after 40 miles. Still good for me. I actually felt pretty good about it.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

el padre
    My Bikes
    Linear,
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always thought the first rule of bike rising is you "ride into the wind first"...not always possible, but when I can I look at the weather channel or whatever to see what is the 'best' way to go first in order to have the wind coming home.

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my little two mile loop I'mrunning 115 BPS (heart rate) then when I turn into the wind it runs up to 129 then when I turn down wind it's back to 115. Funny to watch.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD