Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 07-14-08, 04:59 PM   #1
gruffydd

Bikes:
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Triple By Pass Ride

Anybody else do the Triple this year? 120 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing. The weather was great and so were the mountain passes.
gruffydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:13 PM   #2
Bill Kapaun

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
I thought you were talking about heart surgery!
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:16 PM   #3
cyclinfool
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
That sounds like quite a ride - 120 miles and 10K ft of climbing!
I am shooting for good conditioning but that sounds like a yougins game
cyclinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:40 PM   #4
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Not this year, but TBP is definitely on my list of rides to do! I did the Markleeville Death Ride in '05, but the TBP is so much farther away, it takes more logistical work.

Sounds quite do-able. How many feet of climbing per pass, what was the % of grade, and what are the time cuts?

Rick / OCRR
Rick@OCRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 06:49 PM   #5
DnvrFox
Banned.

Bikes:
I've never done it, nor do I plan to do it. My wife would have a heart attack about my having a heart attack, and actually needing a Triple By Pass. Besides, I just don't enjoy that kind of thing.

But, I have stopped by the aid station just before Loveland Pass and watched as more than one rider puked all over the place. I'm sure only a few have this problem - most likely folks from lower altitudes.

Remember that Loveland Pass is 11,992 feet, and just getting there is uphill all the way from Idaho Springs, and one has already done a major pass a few miles previously..

My best wishes to anyone who tried whether or not they did it, and congratulations to all of those who did the whole thing.
DnvrFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-08, 07:35 PM   #6
BikeWNC
Climbing Above It All

Bikes:
I did it in 2004. We had great weather that day too.
BikeWNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 04:02 AM   #7
cranky old dude

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
I thought you were talking about heart surgery!
If I tried to ride that, we would be!

gruffydd, congrats to you and glad you enjoyed the ride.
cranky old dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 06:51 AM   #8
SKYLAB
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
I was all signed up for my first run at the TBP this year and got waylaid with a series of weekend work assignments. This and the Copper triangle are on my list of must do rides.
A couple of friends did the ride this year on a tandem and had a great time, although he came away with the painfully acquired knowledge that he needs to get a different seat on the tandem.
SKYLAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 07:03 AM   #9
Merfman

Bikes: Douglas Matrix, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
Wow, a forum for old guys! Love it!

I did my first TB this year. Left Bergen Park at 5:32AM and arrived in Avon around 5PM. Yes it was a long day. Yes the pull from Georgetown to Loveland was a gut check. This was only my 4th organized ride since I started riding road bikes about a year ago.

I enjoyed the ride but didn't enjoy the 5 miles of I70 shoulder. Everything else was pretty much what I expected. It was a tough ride and I'm still recovering, but if you enjoy a personal challenge, this is the ride for you! I'll definitely wear that jersey with pride!

On a side note, as we were pulling out of the parking lot around 6-6:30, we saw a huge cloud of smoke and heard lots of sirens. What happened?
Merfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 07:09 AM   #10
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
And gals Welcome to 50+.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 07:10 AM   #11
Beverly
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail
Quote:
Originally Posted by gruffydd View Post
Anybody else do the Triple this year? 120 miles and 10,000 ft of climbing. The weather was great and so were the mountain passes.
Congratulations

I doubt this ride will ever be on my to-do-list

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Beverly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-08, 07:25 AM   #12
Merfman

Sorry Bev! I'll not forget the gals next time!
Old 07-16-08, 01:58 AM   #13
Bill Kapaun

Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
We're not old.
Just 50+
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 05:17 AM   #14
w2brdbkr

Bikes: Raleigh SC30
A bunch from my bike club did it.

You have to sign up way in advance & since I've only starting riding 5 months ago I didn't have a registration but Thursday a couple popped up on Craigslist but I wasn't prepaid that quick.

I guess the weather was really nice & it sounds like it was a good year to ride it. I have been told I'll be doing it next year.

One of the older (50+) members joined three others from Denver & also did Mt. Evans to make it a 180 mile ride, now that is just crazy!!!

For those that did ride TBP, CONGRATS!!!!!!
w2brdbkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 06:47 AM   #15
Merfman

Spirit....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun View Post
We're not old.
Just 50+
I found this forum by complete accident. I was trying to find out what happened at the party on the TB and discovered the 50+ forum quite by accident. After spending a couple of days reading through the posts, I've decided that I'm in pretty good company here as there seem to be many kindred souls. I've spent the last 20 years racing offroad motorcycles and contrary to popular belief, it's quite grueling to wrestle a 250+ pound motorcycle through the woods for 100+ miles. In the last 10 years, I've been racing motocross as well. I frequently find myself competing against kids 1/2 my age and I hold my own most of the time. So, when I see the same competitive spirit, can do attitude and never say quit determination I've seen here, I feel quite a home. Thanks!

That said, I rank the TB in the top 5 toughest things I've ever done. I only started riding road bikes a little over a year ago having started my "career" on the Copper Triangle on a rented bike last year. The bike almost crippled me and it took me almost 6 months to recover from the numbness. I was ill prepared and suffered heavily for the last 20 miles of the ride. So, what did I do? Bought a bike (Douglas Matrix) and started training for the Triple. Stupidity or determination? I think I can feel the general consensus here...

Anyway, thanks to all! I no longer feel so "unique"
Old 07-16-08, 01:51 PM   #16
chuckb

Bikes:
Yah, I did it this year and in 2007. A very hard ride, especially coming from sea level to do it. However, in the splendid weather of the last two years the weather has been perfect and it is just stunningly beautiful. (I hear 2006 was very different, 2/3's of riders dropped out in steady cold rain).

It was 3 years of progression from finishing my first completely flat century ride (Seagull) to doing the Triple las year. I must have plateaued or something, because it felt just as hard this year as last!

The funny story on the plane ride in: After sitting in silence for the whole ride, I finally started a conversation with the guy sitting next to me. Turned out he lives in Denver, and eventually he says, "What bring you out here from Washington?" So I say "Triple Bypass." The guy says, "Wow, I hope that goes okay for you!" After I stopped laughing, I explained what I meant. I guess I was kind of focussed on the ride...
chuckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 10:35 PM   #17
Roadiedvm

Bikes: Tarmac Pro
Triple Bypass

I rode it this year for the first time. Have done several centuries but registering for the triple made me stay serious about training and losing weight. I live in the area so have opportunities to ride in the mountains and did each of the climbs separately with the Team Evergreen group in the weeks leading up to the ride. It wasn't that hard and I'm 61 but a year and 40 pounds ago would have been a different story. 8:42 ride time, 10:10 total - so I spent a too much time at rest stops and taking pictures at the top of Loveland Pass. My daughter beat me by an hour. I'm proud of her but...I'll kick her butt next year (yeah, right).
Roadiedvm is offline   Reply With Quote