Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   MapMyRide changes (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/441862-mapmyride-changes.html)

Beverly 07-16-08 07:24 AM

MapMyRide changes

I notice this website now charges to print the bike routes you've created. Since I often use it to generate ride sheets I'm trying to find another source before signing up for their service. I really like their maps and turn-by-turn descriptions for the route.

Does anyone know of another website that allows you to create a bike route and print it?

John E 07-16-08 08:15 AM

If I recall correctly, both Google and Yahoo offer similar services.

slyjackson 07-16-08 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Beverly (Post 7069897)
I notice this website now charges to print the bike routes you've created. Since I often use it to generate ride sheets I'm trying to find another source before signing up for their service. I really like their maps and turn-by-turn descriptions for the route.

Does anyone know of another website that allows you to create a bike route and print it?

Mapmyride bandwidth is terrible. I spent hours creating a map and get to the completion point and the website crashes. I now use http://bikeroutetoaster.com/ and find the bandwidth so much better and the turn indicators show up in my 305. check it out.

Beverly 07-16-08 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by John E (Post 7070199)
If I recall correctly, both Google and Yahoo offer similar services.

I've tried these but haven't found the feature that lets me point and click to develop a route. They seem to function with a starting and ending position you input then it develops the route for you. I've tried editing the route they suggest but I always end up going in circles.:(

reiffert 07-16-08 11:36 AM

Changing the route in Google is a bit tricky. Click to drag the route to a different road, being careful to click before intersections. I think you need to do it in short bits. Zooming in seems to help also.

Start, obviously, by clicking 'Avoid Hiways'. Last couple of times I did a route, it took a couple of tries. First one always seems to include some circle.

Not ideal, but beats taping a map to a window, tracing and labeling, then riding and adding mileage points to the cue sheet.

Recycle 07-16-08 11:43 AM

I like http://bikely.com

Here is an example route and cue sheet from an overnight club ride we've done a few times.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

We typically ride this on Labor Day weekend, so the route winds thru a lot of neighborhoods and MUPs to avoid very heavy holiday traffic in the region.

[edited URL to show map rather than cue sheet and add comment about neighborhoods and MUPS]

cyclinfool 07-16-08 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by slyjackson (Post 7070305)

+100000

Bike route toaster is the cats meow.
I have tried Bikely, Routeslip, mapmyride and bike route toaster tops them all - it solved all the issues I had with those other sites. If you print the cue sheet in csv format it even gives you the GPS coordinates of the turns!!!

This is the first one I have considered contributing too - it is really great.

Did I mention I thought it was great!

BluesDawg 07-16-08 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 7073967)
+100000

I have tried Bikely, Routeslip, mapmyride and bike route toaster tops them all - it solved all the issues I had with those other sites. If you print the cue sheet in csv format it even gives you the GPS coordinates of the turns!!!

Looks promising. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a way to search for routes already loaded. Is there a way?

cyclinfool 07-16-08 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by BluesDawg (Post 7074040)
Looks promising. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a way to search for routes already loaded. Is there a way?

Don't know if you can search for routes as this is not one of the features I care about. For me I want to be able to create, store, share and edit routes easily, get the cue sheet and the way points and elevation profile. I use Google street view when I am creating a route to make sure the roads are paved and have adequate shoulders. I really like the fact that when editing a route you only have to deal with the points you put in - not all the intermediate points that it puts in when adapting a route to a road.

HiYoSilver 07-16-08 06:43 PM

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

BluesDawg 07-16-08 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 7074528)
Don't know if you can search for routes as this is not one of the features I care about. For me I want to be able to create, store, share and edit routes easily, get the cue sheet and the way points and elevation profile. I use Google street view when I am creating a route to make sure the roads are paved and have adequate shoulders. I really like the fact that when editing a route you only have to deal with the points you put in - not all the intermediate points that it puts in when adapting a route to a road.

Creating routes is my main use as well, but I like to see if someone else has already plotted routes through an area so I can get ideas from them. Also, as bicycling club leader, I want the routes I create to be out there for other people to use.

Beverly 07-17-08 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 7073967)
+100000

This is the first one I have considered contributing too - it is really great.

Did I mention I thought it was great!

I tried several mapping sites yesterday and think Bikeroutetoaser might be the one I'll be using. I did send an email to the site this morning since I can't pull up the route I saved yesterday:( I keep getting "error on page". Anyone using this software have the same problem? It's probably something I've done:mad:

Terex 07-17-08 07:53 AM

You have to be a registered user to search and save. Also, if you're just taking a look, do not click your normal "Back" button - it erases all info. Use the tabs "Map", etc., within Toaster. If you've registered, and still can't find info, let us know their response. Thanks

Beverly 07-17-08 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Terex (Post 7077646)
You have to be a registered user to search and save. Also, if you're just taking a look, do not click your normal "Back" button - it erases all info. Use the tabs "Map", etc., within Toaster. If you've registered, and still can't find info, let us know their response. Thanks

Yes, I'm registered.

HiYoSilver 07-17-08 11:32 AM

I hate bike route toaster. Good: summary, turn by turn. Bad: 1. uses car routes not bike routes, 2. chooses dangerous routes, 3. add 1.5 miles to a 9.5 mile round trip.

rodrigaj 07-17-08 11:42 AM

I uploaded a file yesterday to try biketoaster.

I registered and the file is there today. I wanted to try the edit functions. So I hit load file....and wait... and wait...

I type this reply and am still waiting.... 5 min to load a file...still waiting.....

Back to Toporoute for me.

skiph 07-17-08 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Recycle (Post 7071805)
I like http://bikely.com

Here is an example route and cue sheet from an overnight club ride we've done a few times.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

We typically ride this on Labor Day weekend, so the route winds thru a lot of neighborhoods and MUPs to avoid very heavy holiday traffic in the region.

[edited URL to show map rather than cue sheet and add comment about neighborhoods and MUPS]

Recycle:

OK, how do you get the 'cue sheet' function to work on bikely.com?

I've used it for some routes, but I don't see any cue sheet option on any routes I've done, one just a few weeks ago.

And I didn't see anything about cue sheets in the Help section.

What's the secret?

Thanks

John E 07-17-08 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by HiYoSilver (Post 7074752)

I like that one, too. Good suggestion.

Recycle 07-17-08 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by skiph (Post 7081274)
Recycle:

OK, how do you get the 'cue sheet' function to work on bikely.com?

I've used it for some routes, but I don't see any cue sheet option on any routes I've done, one just a few weeks ago.

And I didn't see anything about cue sheets in the Help section.

What's the secret?

Thanks

Hi skiph,
First, here's how to display the cue sheet for an existing route:

Using this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

1) As you run through the route using the arrows, any directions or comments entered by the author at various way points will appear.

2) Clicking the Show button at the upper left of the Bikely form presents 3 options
a) Whole Route, b) Elevation profile, c) Cue sheet
Selecting the Cue Sheet option produces a display like the one on this link: http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route...-Indiana-Dunes The columns headed Where and Notes were entered by the author. The rest of the information was calculated by the program.

To enter the Where and How information as you build the route:
When you add a new point to the route, enter the desired text in the Now In and Notes boxes.

Or to edit or add notes to an existing way point:
Highlight the point. I.e. click the point to turn it green, then type the new or revised text in the Now In and Notes fields.
Be sure to save the route. That's it.

cyclinfool 07-17-08 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by rodrigaj (Post 7079555)

I registered and the file is there today. I wanted to try the edit functions. So I hit load file....and wait... and wait...

I type this reply and am still waiting.... 5 min to load a file...still waiting.....

I haven't tried that function yet.
As far as the poster who said distance was off - I used it froa 75 mile ride, the distances for the total trip and all the cue sheet points was exactly correct. I don't let it choose my path, I do that by selecting points on the roads I want to travel. Most of these packages use the same automatic route selection as google maps. I will stick with toaster - it is the best one I have used. Each to thier own.

rodrigaj 07-17-08 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 7082183)
I haven't tried that function yet.
As far as the poster who said distance was off - I used it froa 75 mile ride, the distances for the total trip and all the cue sheet points was exactly correct. I don't let it choose my path, I do that by selecting points on the roads I want to travel. Most of these packages use the same automatic route selection as google maps. I will stick with toaster - it is the best one I have used. Each to thier own.

Apparently, it doesn't load maps using firefox. At least it doesn't work for me. Using IE it appears to be working. Strange, because it is supposed to be a fast firefox site. I had one of those updated firefox messages, so I wonder if I should just restart the computer and all will be well.

What I want most is to be able to edit existing routes and to have the ability to upload all of my gpx files of favorite routes. Que sheets would be nice as backups if my edge 305 dies again. I've just contacted Garmin for my fourth 305 in one year. This is getting ridiculous. But that's another thread.:(

rodrigaj 07-17-08 07:12 PM

I restarted my computer and bikeroutetoaster still doesn't work with firefox. Works with IE.

Can anyone confirm the problem with firefox and bikeroutetoaster? The map function does not work.

Road Fan 07-18-08 02:47 PM

I just tried to get on Routeslip, and it sent me to MapMyRide. Is Routeslip toast?

Tom Stormcrowe 07-18-08 05:50 PM

I use Bike Route Toaster w/ Firefox, no problem.....

I also use it on my laptop with FF on Vista, no problem. Odd.....

Beverly 07-18-08 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by rodrigaj (Post 7079555)

That's the same problem I had. I couldn't reload a file I had created:(