Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 26
  1. #1
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    MapMyRide changes

    I notice this website now charges to print the bike routes you've created. Since I often use it to generate ride sheets I'm trying to find another source before signing up for their service. I really like their maps and turn-by-turn descriptions for the route.

    Does anyone know of another website that allows you to create a bike route and print it?
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  2. #2
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,939
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I recall correctly, both Google and Yahoo offer similar services.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  3. #3
    Drop Master slyjackson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Orlando FL
    My Bikes
    Fuji Roubaix / Scott CR-1
    Posts
    221
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverly View Post
    I notice this website now charges to print the bike routes you've created. Since I often use it to generate ride sheets I'm trying to find another source before signing up for their service. I really like their maps and turn-by-turn descriptions for the route.

    Does anyone know of another website that allows you to create a bike route and print it?
    Mapmyride bandwidth is terrible. I spent hours creating a map and get to the completion point and the website crashes. I now use http://bikeroutetoaster.com/ and find the bandwidth so much better and the turn indicators show up in my 305. check it out.
    Scott CR1 Pro
    Garmin Edge 305 HR+CAD, Shimano Ultegra-6600 shifters, 10sp 12-27 cassette, Shimano Ultegra-6600 front & Rear Derailleur, Shimano Ultegra-6600 38/52 Crank, Shimano Ultegra-6600 brakes,Continental Grand Prix 4000s tires, Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels, Crank Brothers "Quattro'" pedals, Selle Italia SLR Saddle, FSA K-Wing Pro compact Road bars,Samsung YP-U2J MP3 player

  4. #4
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    If I recall correctly, both Google and Yahoo offer similar services.
    I've tried these but haven't found the feature that lets me point and click to develop a route. They seem to function with a starting and ending position you input then it develops the route for you. I've tried editing the route they suggest but I always end up going in circles.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  5. #5
    Senior Member reiffert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    135
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Changing the route in Google is a bit tricky. Click to drag the route to a different road, being careful to click before intersections. I think you need to do it in short bits. Zooming in seems to help also.

    Start, obviously, by clicking 'Avoid Hiways'. Last couple of times I did a route, it took a couple of tries. First one always seems to include some circle.

    Not ideal, but beats taping a map to a window, tracing and labeling, then riding and adding mileage points to the cue sheet.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NE IL
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like http://bikely.com

    Here is an example route and cue sheet from an overnight club ride we've done a few times.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

    We typically ride this on Labor Day weekend, so the route winds thru a lot of neighborhoods and MUPs to avoid very heavy holiday traffic in the region.

    [edited URL to show map rather than cue sheet and add comment about neighborhoods and MUPS]
    Last edited by Recycle; 07-16-08 at 12:04 PM.

  7. #7
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by slyjackson View Post
    +100000

    Bike route toaster is the cats meow.
    I have tried Bikely, Routeslip, mapmyride and bike route toaster tops them all - it solved all the issues I had with those other sites. If you print the cue sheet in csv format it even gives you the GPS coordinates of the turns!!!

    This is the first one I have considered contributing too - it is really great.

    Did I mention I thought it was great!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  8. #8
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    +100000

    Bike route toaster is the cats meow.
    I have tried Bikely, Routeslip, mapmyride and bike route toaster tops them all - it solved all the issues I had with those other sites. If you print the cue sheet in csv format it even gives you the GPS coordinates of the turns!!!
    Looks promising. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a way to search for routes already loaded. Is there a way?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  9. #9
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Looks promising. I only looked briefly, but couldn't find a way to search for routes already loaded. Is there a way?
    Don't know if you can search for routes as this is not one of the features I care about. For me I want to be able to create, store, share and edit routes easily, get the cue sheet and the way points and elevation profile. I use Google street view when I am creating a route to make sure the roads are paved and have adequate shoulders. I really like the fact that when editing a route you only have to deal with the points you put in - not all the intermediate points that it puts in when adapting a route to a road.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  10. #10
    Rides again HiYoSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    W. Sacramento Region, aka, Nut Tree
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi 'o Silver away

  11. #11
    just keep riding BluesDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Milledgeville, Georgia
    My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Posts
    12,740
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Don't know if you can search for routes as this is not one of the features I care about. For me I want to be able to create, store, share and edit routes easily, get the cue sheet and the way points and elevation profile. I use Google street view when I am creating a route to make sure the roads are paved and have adequate shoulders. I really like the fact that when editing a route you only have to deal with the points you put in - not all the intermediate points that it puts in when adapting a route to a road.
    Creating routes is my main use as well, but I like to see if someone else has already plotted routes through an area so I can get ideas from them. Also, as bicycling club leader, I want the routes I create to be out there for other people to use.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    +100000

    Bike route toaster is the cats meow.
    I have tried Bikely, Routeslip, mapmyride and bike route toaster tops them all - it solved all the issues I had with those other sites. If you print the cue sheet in csv format it even gives you the GPS coordinates of the turns!!!

    This is the first one I have considered contributing too - it is really great.

    Did I mention I thought it was great!
    I tried several mapping sites yesterday and think Bikeroutetoaser might be the one I'll be using. I did send an email to the site this morning since I can't pull up the route I saved yesterday I keep getting "error on page". Anyone using this software have the same problem? It's probably something I've done
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  13. #13
    Senior Member Terex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Jersey - outside the bibs.
    Posts
    3,473
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to be a registered user to search and save. Also, if you're just taking a look, do not click your normal "Back" button - it erases all info. Use the tabs "Map", etc., within Toaster. If you've registered, and still can't find info, let us know their response. Thanks
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

  14. #14
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Terex View Post
    You have to be a registered user to search and save. Also, if you're just taking a look, do not click your normal "Back" button - it erases all info. Use the tabs "Map", etc., within Toaster. If you've registered, and still can't find info, let us know their response. Thanks
    Yes, I'm registered.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

  15. #15
    Rides again HiYoSilver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    W. Sacramento Region, aka, Nut Tree
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Posts
    3,259
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate bike route toaster. Good: summary, turn by turn. Bad: 1. uses car routes not bike routes, 2. chooses dangerous routes, 3. add 1.5 miles to a 9.5 mile round trip.
    Hi 'o Silver away

  16. #16
    Senior Member rodrigaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I uploaded a file yesterday to try biketoaster.

    I registered and the file is there today. I wanted to try the edit functions. So I hit load file....and wait... and wait...

    I type this reply and am still waiting.... 5 min to load a file...still waiting.....

    Back to Toporoute for me.

  17. #17
    Senior Member skiph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Oregon coast
    My Bikes
    '06 Trek Pilot 5.2 SPA, '07 BikesDirect frame build, '10 GF Wahoo disc
    Posts
    419
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recycle View Post
    I like http://bikely.com

    Here is an example route and cue sheet from an overnight club ride we've done a few times.
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

    We typically ride this on Labor Day weekend, so the route winds thru a lot of neighborhoods and MUPs to avoid very heavy holiday traffic in the region.

    [edited URL to show map rather than cue sheet and add comment about neighborhoods and MUPS]
    Recycle:

    OK, how do you get the 'cue sheet' function to work on bikely.com?

    I've used it for some routes, but I don't see any cue sheet option on any routes I've done, one just a few weeks ago.

    And I didn't see anything about cue sheets in the Help section.

    What's the secret?

    Thanks

  18. #18
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    14,939
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HiYoSilver View Post
    I like that one, too. Good suggestion.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NE IL
    My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Posts
    640
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skiph View Post
    Recycle:

    OK, how do you get the 'cue sheet' function to work on bikely.com?

    I've used it for some routes, but I don't see any cue sheet option on any routes I've done, one just a few weeks ago.

    And I didn't see anything about cue sheets in the Help section.

    What's the secret?

    Thanks

    Hi skiph,
    First, here's how to display the cue sheet for an existing route:

    Using this route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...-Indiana-Dunes

    1) As you run through the route using the arrows, any directions or comments entered by the author at various way points will appear.

    2) Clicking the Show button at the upper left of the Bikely form presents 3 options
    a) Whole Route, b) Elevation profile, c) Cue sheet

    Selecting the Cue Sheet option produces a display like the one on this link: http://www.bikely.com/cuesheet/route...-Indiana-Dunes The columns headed Where and Notes were entered by the author. The rest of the information was calculated by the program.

    To enter the Where and How information as you build the route:
    When you add a new point to the route, enter the desired text in the Now In and Notes boxes.


    Or to edit or add notes to an existing way point:
    Highlight the point. I.e. click the point to turn it green, then type the new or revised text in the Now In and Notes fields.
    Be sure to save the route. That's it.

  20. #20
    gone ride'n cyclinfool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Upstate NY
    My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Posts
    4,052
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    I uploaded a file yesterday to try biketoaster.

    I registered and the file is there today. I wanted to try the edit functions. So I hit load file....and wait... and wait...

    I type this reply and am still waiting.... 5 min to load a file...still waiting.....

    Back to Toporoute for me.
    I haven't tried that function yet.
    As far as the poster who said distance was off - I used it froa 75 mile ride, the distances for the total trip and all the cue sheet points was exactly correct. I don't let it choose my path, I do that by selecting points on the roads I want to travel. Most of these packages use the same automatic route selection as google maps. I will stick with toaster - it is the best one I have used. Each to thier own.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

  21. #21
    Senior Member rodrigaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    I haven't tried that function yet.
    As far as the poster who said distance was off - I used it froa 75 mile ride, the distances for the total trip and all the cue sheet points was exactly correct. I don't let it choose my path, I do that by selecting points on the roads I want to travel. Most of these packages use the same automatic route selection as google maps. I will stick with toaster - it is the best one I have used. Each to thier own.
    Apparently, it doesn't load maps using firefox. At least it doesn't work for me. Using IE it appears to be working. Strange, because it is supposed to be a fast firefox site. I had one of those updated firefox messages, so I wonder if I should just restart the computer and all will be well.

    What I want most is to be able to edit existing routes and to have the ability to upload all of my gpx files of favorite routes. Que sheets would be nice as backups if my edge 305 dies again. I've just contacted Garmin for my fourth 305 in one year. This is getting ridiculous. But that's another thread.

  22. #22
    Senior Member rodrigaj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    1,126
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I restarted my computer and bikeroutetoaster still doesn't work with firefox. Works with IE.

    Can anyone confirm the problem with firefox and bikeroutetoaster? The map function does not work.

  23. #23
    Senior Member Road Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor, MI
    My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Posts
    11,098
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just tried to get on Routeslip, and it sent me to MapMyRide. Is Routeslip toast?

  24. #24
    The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    South Florida
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Posts
    16,015
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I use Bike Route Toaster w/ Firefox, no problem.....

    I also use it on my laptop with FF on Vista, no problem. Odd.....
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.


    . “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

  25. #25
    Senior Member ?? Beverly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Englewood,Ohio
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Posts
    5,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rodrigaj View Post
    I uploaded a file yesterday to try biketoaster.

    I registered and the file is there today. I wanted to try the edit functions. So I hit load file....and wait... and wait...

    I type this reply and am still waiting.... 5 min to load a file...still waiting.....

    Back to Toporoute for me.
    That's the same problem I had. I couldn't reload a file I had created
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •