Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Turning The Corner

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Turning The Corner

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 12:49 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Turning The Corner

I think I have turned the corner, and have become more than a beginner - from now on I am going to consider myself an avid cyclist.

I'm now doing a 30 mile loop every day, for fat control and exercise, and automatically get onto the bike for errands now.

During my loop this morning, something happened. Without even thinking about it, which was surprising. Also, the temp is 90 F, but at least it's humid....

Last night , my alternator crapped out on me in my pickup, when we were coming home from dinner. It got us all the way home, and I just pulled it in the garage, with a promise to fix it within the next couple days.

Then this morning, during my daily ride, (about 24 miles into my loop) I realized I was only one block from my auto parts store of choice. Having my credit card in my tail trunk, I swung up and picked up another alternator, threw it in my grocery pannier,(boy, am I glad I decided to leave them on full time,) and finished my ride. Good move, saved a trip, and gas.

I got home, and decided that I might as well replace the darned thing, so swapped it out, and then looked at the core sitting on the floor.

Keep in mind, now, that the truck is fully operational, and I didn't even consider it.

I threw it back in my pannier, and rode the 5 miles back to the store, and cashed it in. Hopped back on the bike, and pedalled my butttt back home. Now, during this last forray back and forth, I rode the highway, albiet pretty urban, and traffic was lite. In the middle of the one way ride, is a new bridge under construction, and traffic is squeezed down into one tight lane in each direction, with a divider of those concrete medians they use, so nowhere else to go.

The lite turned green, and I took off with traffic, and kept up with them at about 23 MPH over a two block stretch. I never slowed them down once, and I stayed right on their bumpers..... and all the construction guys stopped, watched, and pointed...

Then, on the way home, I remembered I had to run to the grocery store for some things, so just pedalled right past my house, another mile to the store....

I'm really liking this bicycling........ even though I'm more sore, I like it more every day. On top of all the beneficial things, we re using less gasoline (moneywise) than we were before the price went up.... This is really cool. Almost makes me wish I was still working, so I could commute.

Total mileage today, 45, so far..... and no gasoline used.....

And, my new Specialized Crosstrail is really a nice do it all bike. Goes fast, goes slow, climbs walls, carries groceries and other stuff, and is a blast to ride. I really like this bike! Technology has come a loooooong way in the last 30 years.

And, the fat is just falling off. No weight loss yet, but my pants are falling off, and my stomach is too.

Cool....
Old 07-16-08, 01:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, I'd say you turned the corner, and are headed right on up the "cycling as a lifestyle" street. Good for you!
Old 07-16-08, 01:32 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
You've got the fever. The only remedy is more riding. And more bikes. And more clothes.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 07-16-08, 02:36 PM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dude....you're replacing fat with muscle! you might even experience a weight gain.
I like the idea of using bikes for errands. Its difficult to do around here because of all the mountains, but i do use the bike to go to the post office and bank.
Sounds as if life is working out pretty good for you right now. Ride that wave brother.
Old 07-16-08, 02:44 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Well, done. The next stage is when you wonder why you spent money on the alternator when you could have bought some bike components with the money instead.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-16-08, 04:54 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yep, you're there all right. I'll be there someday too, but you are there now.
Congrats to you and I'm glad you're enjoying it so much.
Old 07-16-08, 05:43 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great, I also use my city bike as much as I can.
You will love your new body, go ahead stank in front of the mirror and enjoy the view.