Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   Making new friends at 50+ (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/442157-making-new-friends-50-a.html)

cyclinfool 07-16-08 06:40 PM

Making new friends at 50+

As many here know last fall I pickup up a great deal on a Specialized Tarmac. I had been pineing over a Pinarello F4:13 but at $5K it was just too much. Last weekend I did a club ride where a person was riding the F4:13 in the color I wanted (red - is there any other color for a bike) - wow what a beautiful bike! However the Tarmac and I kept up with him over the 45 mile ride, even though he was 25 years younger. On several hills we even out climbed him.

When I got the Tarmac and for a long time after I was unsure of whether or not I liked it. I have found that it does a lot of things really well. After I got it broken in and learned how to use the drive train (the gearing is different than on my Simoncini) I have found I really enjoy it. As a team we have gotten much faster. On a 15 mile sprint we have shaved 1.5 MPH off the best average I was every able to do before and I don't think we are done yet as I typically peak around the last week in Aug.

I still don't like the Tarmac's ride as well as my steel bike - but the accelleration, hill climbing and stability at high speeds is unmatched. It has now become the weapon of choice for rides of 40 miles or less.

This weekend is a club ride - 50 miles. I am debating which bike to choose. It will be a fast ride. I might just take the Simoncini just to see if it isn't the engine that has made the difference. If the Pinarello shows up I guess I'll know.

I think the Tarmac and I have finally reached an understanding - it isn't my first love but it's a turning out to be a really good friend. I guess this is why I've been married to the same women for 30 years as well :love:

cranky old dude 07-16-08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by cyclinfool (Post 7074733)
I guess this is why I've been married to the same women for 30 years as well :love:

HEY! My wife said that wasn't legal in NY!!!!:eek:

Hee, hee, hee....sounds like you've been getting in some great rides.
Don't let the little women keep you too busy to keep on riding!!!! :rolleyes:

stapfam 07-18-08 12:52 AM

Funny thing about new bikes- They are all glitz and glitter but don't work. Takes a while for you to adjust to them and for them to adjust to you. Then something clicks and a compromise is reached- The threat of being sold if they don't work soon comes just before they get their act together and play ball.

I hate new bikes- All the adjustments to get right- the bearings to loosen up and the Tightening up of parts to stop them coming loose. But in the end- They are worth it.

cyclinfool 07-18-08 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by stapfam (Post 7084117)
Funny thing about new bikes- They are all glitz and glitter but don't work. Takes a while for you to adjust to them and for them to adjust to you. Then something clicks and a compromise is reached- The threat of being sold if they don't work soon comes just before they get their act together and play ball.

I hate new bikes- All the adjustments to get right- the bearings to loosen up and the Tightening up of parts to stop them coming loose. But in the end- They are worth it.

That is so true - and what I find interesting is that after someone plunks down a chunk of change for a new bike they are loath to admit that it isn't all they had hoped. Thats why I pay little attention to test rides. You can tell quickly if you don't like a bike - it takes months to tell if you do.

zacster 07-18-08 02:45 PM

I went back to my old vintage steel bike for a few weeks after fixing it up again to make it a decent ride. I was cruising my usual loops of Prospect Park on it where I know every rise, fall, crack in the road, turn, bump etc... I was feeling pretty good on it and I started thinking to myself about why I bought that $4k carbon fiber bike in the first place. My wife was wondering why I was using the old bike too, as I had to spend a little money on it, money that she'd rather spend on something else. (under $100 I should add). I'm thinking I could never admit to her that the old bike rides just as well and maybe the training I've done is more important than the bike.

Then I got back on my cf Kuota. Never mind. I haven't been on the old steel bike since.