Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Making new friends at 50+

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-08, 06:40 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

As many here know last fall I pickup up a great deal on a Specialized Tarmac. I had been pineing over a Pinarello F4:13 but at $5K it was just too much. Last weekend I did a club ride where a person was riding the F4:13 in the color I wanted (red - is there any other color for a bike) - wow what a beautiful bike! However the Tarmac and I kept up with him over the 45 mile ride, even though he was 25 years younger. On several hills we even out climbed him.

When I got the Tarmac and for a long time after I was unsure of whether or not I liked it. I have found that it does a lot of things really well. After I got it broken in and learned how to use the drive train (the gearing is different than on my Simoncini) I have found I really enjoy it. As a team we have gotten much faster. On a 15 mile sprint we have shaved 1.5 MPH off the best average I was every able to do before and I don't think we are done yet as I typically peak around the last week in Aug.

I still don't like the Tarmac's ride as well as my steel bike - but the accelleration, hill climbing and stability at high speeds is unmatched. It has now become the weapon of choice for rides of 40 miles or less.

This weekend is a club ride - 50 miles. I am debating which bike to choose. It will be a fast ride. I might just take the Simoncini just to see if it isn't the engine that has made the difference. If the Pinarello shows up I guess I'll know.

I think the Tarmac and I have finally reached an understanding - it isn't my first love but it's a turning out to be a really good friend. I guess this is why I've been married to the same women for 30 years as well
Old 07-16-08, 07:15 PM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I guess this is why I've been married to the same women for 30 years as well
HEY! My wife said that wasn't legal in NY!!!!

Hee, hee, hee....sounds like you've been getting in some great rides.
Don't let the little women keep you too busy to keep on riding!!!!
Old 07-18-08, 12:52 AM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Funny thing about new bikes- They are all glitz and glitter but don't work. Takes a while for you to adjust to them and for them to adjust to you. Then something clicks and a compromise is reached- The threat of being sold if they don't work soon comes just before they get their act together and play ball.

I hate new bikes- All the adjustments to get right- the bearings to loosen up and the Tightening up of parts to stop them coming loose. But in the end- They are worth it.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-18-08, 06:31 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stapfam
Funny thing about new bikes- They are all glitz and glitter but don't work. Takes a while for you to adjust to them and for them to adjust to you. Then something clicks and a compromise is reached- The threat of being sold if they don't work soon comes just before they get their act together and play ball.

I hate new bikes- All the adjustments to get right- the bearings to loosen up and the Tightening up of parts to stop them coming loose. But in the end- They are worth it.
That is so true - and what I find interesting is that after someone plunks down a chunk of change for a new bike they are loath to admit that it isn't all they had hoped. Thats why I pay little attention to test rides. You can tell quickly if you don't like a bike - it takes months to tell if you do.
Old 07-18-08, 02:45 PM

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
I went back to my old vintage steel bike for a few weeks after fixing it up again to make it a decent ride. I was cruising my usual loops of Prospect Park on it where I know every rise, fall, crack in the road, turn, bump etc... I was feeling pretty good on it and I started thinking to myself about why I bought that $4k carbon fiber bike in the first place. My wife was wondering why I was using the old bike too, as I had to spend a little money on it, money that she'd rather spend on something else. (under $100 I should add). I'm thinking I could never admit to her that the old bike rides just as well and maybe the training I've done is more important than the bike.

Then I got back on my cf Kuota. Never mind. I haven't been on the old steel bike since.