Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pie to celebrate.

First get back ride today after a long period of not much riding. Only 40 miles on the flat and took it steady to bring myself back. 20 miles to the cafe and met a couple of riders. They had just travelled from Cherbourg in France- up to Calais- cross to Dover and were making their way back home to Portsmouth. 600 miles and they were on target to complete it in 5 days. Not a bad ride but they had a couple of bikes that were not really suitable. the one I am holding is an 80's Peugeot and the headset was very loose when I picked it up for the photo. The same could not be said for the rear end as I could not even lift it. Reckon there was 100lbs on those panniers. The other bike was a Cannondale and had a standard double Crankset. The peugeot had a single ring.

Advised them on the safe way up the 16% hill as I reckoned they would be walking so told them how to find the Footpath. Then it was down to my PIE- except it wasn't. That chocolate gateaux was too enticing. Took a few extra miles on board for the return and went through Pevensey. The spot where William the Conquerer landed in 1066. The plaque commerorates this event and that Queen Elizabeth II paid a vist 900 years later. Also a picture of an old house in the Village- but this only dates from the 16th century- going by the style. Then it was off for home at a leisurely pace and completed the ride at an average of 15.1 mph which in view of the lay off I had- I am quite happy with. And by the way- Giordana Tenax shorts rock.

Edit-- What am I saying- they are not shorts--But Bibs.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by stapfam; 07-18-08 at 02:21 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report, happy that your return was successful and delicious, and the 50+ jersey is spiffy..
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    And by the way- Giordana Tenax shorts rock.
    I agree - I bought my first pair this season. Luckily I have a friend who has been feeding me Giordana goodies at cost, I will be taking more advantage of this when I get a few extra $$
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've only been to England once; we never left London, except for the ride to Heathrow and a magical mystery tour of Stonehenge.
    I say that because I later found out that we got on the the coach -the bus- for the ride out to Stonehenge at exactly the same spot that the Magical Mystery Tour bus left on its, well, Magical Mystery Tour in 1967. OooEeeOooo...

But, I digress... London sunk a hook in me that has never let go.
    Your pictures make me miss it anew.

I hope that Peugeot makes it.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice pics, Doug.

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your area looks so lovely! Want to house swap? Spend a couple weeks riding your bike in the California Wine Country?

I'm only kind of kidding. Have any of you thought of house swapping with other cyclists? We could join one of those legit agencies, but only swap with each other...
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

rck
    My Bikes
    cannondale 400st, dean el diente, specialized hybrid
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug,
    I was going to chide you for passing on pie, however, I guess (at least from the looks of it) that a chocolate gateaux is an adequate substitute. One of these days I'll get a digital camera and take some pics from around here, mayhaps it will look as exotic to you as your rides look to me!

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great report, I really enjoyed the pictures. What can you tell us about that stone arch?

15.1 mph average over 40 miles is great -- I'm still trying to get above 12.5.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Arch is looking back along the road where the old house is-From within the grounds of Pevensey Castle. Pevensey is where William the Conquerer landed when he invaded England in 1066 and he built a Castle on the same site as a Roman Fortress that was built there in around 56 B.C. Couple of pics of the Castle but it is in need of renovation. The Other pic of Herstmoncieux Castle is only about 8 miles up the road but that is a false one- having been rebuilt about 1700 and is now a conference centre. And we are strong on the Castle theme here in Sussex. That modern brick built building is on the Seafront at Eastbourne and was built about 10 years ago and houses the Sewerage treatment works- that treats Raw sewage before it is pumped into the sea.- Don't swim at Eastborne.

And this was a flat ride so speed is higher than I would normally do.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Your area looks so lovely! Want to house swap? Spend a couple weeks riding your bike in the California Wine Country?

I'm only kind of kidding. Have any of you thought of house swapping with other cyclists? We could join one of those legit agencies, but only swap with each other...
    Now that is a great idea. Would be a good way to see other areas without spending a lot on hotels etc. Perhaps in some cases even bike swap with the house in order not to worry about rentals or shipping bikes. Probably would depend on sizes and how willing people would be to share their rides though. But a good and creative idea.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)