Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First Bike trip of the year...

My friend Jen and I are going on a crazy adventure tomorrow morning. I'd put a map up, but we're not really sure where we're going. We know we want to hit the Elroy-Sparta trail, but beyond that we're in search of the scariest, weirdest places Wisconsin has to offer.

Hope to be able to post photos of trolls, which are promised at one site. You may also get photos of 20-foot high metal birds, underwater ancient pyramids, Ed Gein's house, a tunnel that winds for 3/4 of a mile and rains on you the entire way, creepy creepy clowns, house on the rock and rock on the house, and a road where the screams of hanged witches still reverberates.

Moooooooohahaha!!!!!!!

Watch this space.

The Site Administrator: Currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes,please contact my assistnt admins for forum issues Tom Stormcrowe's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Have a blast! Good to see you out and about again.
    on light duty due to illness; please contact my assistants for forum issues. They are Siu Blue Wind, or CbadRider or the other 3 star folk. I am currently at home recovering from a couple of strokes. I am making good progress, happily.

. “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”- Fredrick Nietzsche

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by solveg View Post
    My friend Jen and I are going on a crazy adventure tomorrow morning. I'd put a map up, but we're not really sure where we're going. We know we want to hit the Elroy-Sparta trail, but beyond that we're in search of the scariest, weirdest places Wisconsin has to offer.

Hope to be able to post photos of trolls, which are promised at one site. You may also get photos of 20-foot high metal birds, underwater ancient pyramids, Ed Gein's house, a tunnel that winds for 3/4 of a mile and rains on you the entire way, creepy creepy clowns, house on the rock and rock on the house, and a road where the screams of hanged witches still reverberates.

Moooooooohahaha!!!!!!!

Watch this space.
    I'm confused..........will you be riding somewhere of posting here on BF?

My Bikes
    Surly Long Haul Trucker, Giant Cypress DX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ride the Elroy-Sparta trail ... then ride all the roads that criss-cross the trail for some great hills. You can get maps in most of the depot towns.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a lot of fun! Enjoy the ride
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I'm confused..........will you be riding somewhere of posting here on BF?
    I will be doing both. My laptop gets the internet via my cell phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Do I ever wish I was going on that ride
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of our first creeps. We drove backroads to House on the Rock, and we're getting on the bikes tomorrow morning unless it's pouring.

our loaded car:

creepy things we saw at House on the Rock:

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And Maddmaxx was kind enough to meet us there...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been to House on the Rock twice now. The first time we were unprepared
    in that we were pressed for time. The second time we had two very bored
    teenagers with us. We are scheduled to deliver one of those two to M.S.O.E.
    (Milwaukee School of Engineering) in late August, and I've started dropping
    hints to my wise Bride that it would be nice to take a detour on the way home.
    I would like to go back to Spring Green and spend a looong time at the
    House on the Rock, and being fans of Frank Lloyd Wright we would definately
    have to swing by Taliesin. You are touring a very interseting part of the
    Country. Enjoy and keep the reports and pictures coming. Thanks.

Happy Trails

My Bikes
    Trek 7700, C'dale R2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just did Camp Douglas-Elroy-Sparta-Onalaska-Trempealeau. Twice in the last month and will do so again in a week. This trail is a treasure.
    Hotel and Restaurant Trempealeau are a worthwhile goal with good food and wine. It offers a great view of the Mississippi North of Lake Onalaska. The Perot State Park is near by and another attraction.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our bike ride this morning really sucked. Even though we looked at the map on the internet, from the official rail trails site, we could not find parking where the map said there was parking. We drove around for about over an hour, getting to the area and then trying to find the trailhead. We never did find a place for the bike path parking, but we found a campsite parking lot. By then it was 10, and 78 degrees with...honest to god, a "real feel of 92". There was 70% humidity and the dewpoint was at 68.

I have done very little riding since my kansas bite incident, and am still not 100%, so I literally thought I was going to pass out. It was a decent bike trail, typical urban type with a few lovely spots.

Got back to the car at about 12, turned the AC down to 60 and went to Mt. Horeb for an art festival. I drank a great* dark beer there that tasted like coffee and chocolate. We went to the Mustard Museum.

Then we went to Little Norway, but were too tired to take the tour.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hee hee, when you said you'ld post pictures of Trolls I thought they'ld
    be walking, talking real live Trolls.

Try not to overdo things and enjoy the rest of your trip. Scout out a
    bunch of good places to come back to in the Autumn for biking when the
    weather is much more co-operative.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    UPDATE: So.....

The spookiest part of the trip so far is that my GPS has become haunted. Seriously haunted. It's trying to kill us. We went to a movie last night and it gave us directions which were incorrect, which isn't unusual because it's 10 years old. It has been doing that quite a lot in Madison, and we keep ending up at the same road, which I think is called McMooney but Jen thinks is called McFee. Anyway, we were going to a movie 1 mile north from the hotel, and it kept telling us to go south. So we ignored it and went to the theater on our own, and it kept telling us to turn around. When we pulled into the parking lot, it told us we had arrived, so it wasn't like we typed in the wrong thing.

So, coming home, Jen took a wrong turn and we ended up going back to this McMooney road, and we were laughing. So I turned on the GPS, because it's good for knowing how to get out of a mistake, and it told us to take a U turn on a road coming up. We were unsure about this, because we were on the main Madison Loop freeway! So we watched the GPS, and it said "make a U turn in .5 miles....make a U turn in .2 miles..... make a U turn in 300 feet...." and THERE WAS NO BREAK IN THE FREEWAY. It wanted us to just drive into the meridian! There was no cross road anywhere near us!

Anyway....
    We are altering our trip.

I was online, trying to figure out how we could alter our trip for cooler biking. We're basically screwed up at this point, we really want to see the weird sculpture garden in Baraboo and ride through the long tunnel. But to bike in the morning would require driving halfway home and coming back towards madison, and then the timing of the day wouldn't be right.

As I was researching the weather, I saw that it was 55 degrees up at my cabin. So we're bailing on Wisconsin and basically going home this morning with a stop at the sculpture garden. We'll pick my dogs up, and then head straight up north and ride the lake or rail trail this evening and the state park in the morning and spend the rest of the time in the lake.

It's just unbelievably hot in Wisconsin, and we it's just too hard to have as much fun as we want. So, my first real bike trip ANYWHERE, EVER kinda flopped.

Y'know, I don't think I've ever read on this forum about bike trips which fizzled. Let's hear some other stories about that. What makes a bike adventure bad?

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And Maddmaxx was kind enough to meet us there...

You never know what sort of strange people you will meet when your GPS is "drifting". Stick to the pills that mother gives you.

Nice pictures!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was really nervous about the clowns part, but thank goodness, none to be found. That beer you had sounds like it was terrific.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove all day to the lake with a stop at Dr. Evermore's sculpture garden.

Now, this was supposed to be a creepy vacation, and the things we had planned to see...well, they weren't so creepy. But it was, on the whole, very creepy. Besides the GPS being possessed and trying to kill us, when we were at the sculture garden I was playing one of the musical instruments and something fell out of it and stung me like a bee. Now, I'm just getting over being sick for over 2 months from an insect bite, so we really tried to find out what it was. It had some good size to it, and it didn't fly. So it swelled up, and everything tingled, and then my tongue started to swell! So I took some Benedryl and that took care of it. You can't even see the bite/sting this evening. But that was very* creepy. This big thing just fell from the inside of a bell and bites!

So it was a scare-filled trip anyway, and kind of in a legitimate way in that it was real and not forced.

Now we're at my cabin after driving all day and we got in too late for a bike ride, but we're leaving at dawn tomorrow morning.

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We drove all day to the lake with a stop at Dr. Evermore's sculpture garden.

Now, this was supposed to be a creepy vacation, and the things we had planned to see...well, they weren't so creepy. But it was, on the whole, very creepy. Besides the GPS being possessed and trying to kill us, when we were at the sculture garden I was playing one of the musical instruments and something fell out of it and stung me like a bee. Now, I'm just getting over being sick for over 2 months from an insect bite, so we really tried to find out what it was. It had some good size to it, and it didn't fly. So it swelled up, and everything tingled, and then my tongue started to swell! So I took some Benedryl and that took care of it. You can't even see the bite/sting this evening. But that was very* creepy. This big thing just fell from the inside of a bell and bites!

So it was a scare-filled trip anyway, and kind of in a legitimate way in that it was real and not forced.

Now we're at my cabin after driving all day and we got in too late for a bike ride, but we're leaving at dawn tomorrow morning.
    Wow, what an adventure! Maybe not the one you wanted to have, but still a real adventure!

Road Fan

My Bikes
    Randonee
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought California had some interesting attractions and strange people, but next to the Frozen Dead Man Festival in Nederland, Co (seems like the last vestige of real hippies) your trip in Wisconsin has to be filled with more unusual experiences than I would have expected from Wisconsin.

Neat pictures Solveg! Hope you are having a great time!
    F Thomas

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
    Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, the trip is carrying on its theme, even though we're back in MN. We got up early to ride through the forest. Almost immediately Jen's Deraileur got totally screwed up, but I fixed it!!! Yay! Then we rode until a big hill slowed us down and we were attacked by hundreds of deer flies. Hundreds. I had so many swarming around my head I felt like The Candyman with his swarm of bees encompassing his head. We race back to the car, covered in welts, and a mother bear and 3 babies walked in front of us! Of course, I wasn't ready to take a picture, and couldn't get the camera out in time, because we were so terrorized by the deer flys.

We stopped for breakfast on the way back, and the take out tray was black, which was very suiting for our trip!

This afternoon we're going to look for albino deer which live in the other state park up here. There's a bunch of them, but they're hard to find. I hope I get a photo for you.

Me fixing Jen's Bike.

The Black Take-Out Box

The wine we drank last night
    Last edited by solveg; 07-22-08 at 11:23 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    solveg, in the first picture, what is that thing between the saddle and seatpost of your friend's bike?
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    solveg, in the first picture, what is that thing between the saddle and seatpost of your friend's bike?
    A pogo stick. Here is a better version.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you own one? If so, how good is it for long bike rides and handling the common road bumps?
    Just because God says He will save all mankind does not necessarily mean He won't (1 Tim.2:4-6; 4:10,11)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Chick bike mechanics. What's next?

Cool trip.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony (Michigan) View Post
    Do you own one? If so, how good is it for long bike rides and handling the common road bumps?
    Have it on the stokers saddle on the tandem and it does work. It is called a Cane Creek Thudbuster and the elastomers vary for weight of the rider. Bit on the pricey side but when the Pilot forgets to call a bump on the trail- I hardly feel it.

Long bike rides are not a problem (14 hours long enough?) but the saddle stills hurts after about 8 hours. This is the long travel version and there is a road version that is short travel. The Long travel is overkill on the road.

Very popular on Tandems so perhaps other tandem teams can confirm the usefullness. I have used it on night rides on the MTB as the post fits both bikes and it does work. Only problem is that you start to rely on it and it can put extra strain on the rear tyre. I use one heavy stoker and we are always getting pinch flats on the offroad downhills because he sits in the saddle instead of taking the weight on the legs. Hit a rock at 50 mph and we are stopping to repair a puncture within 200 yards.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast