Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Felt Bike Prices

I'm new to the forum and 51 years of age. I'm wanting to upgrade from an old steel frame road bike to a used Felt F55. The bike has lots of miles but is in excellent condition and has been well maintained. The owner is asking 1000 dollars. Can some of the very experienced riders on the forum tell me if this is a fair price. Thanks.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What year is it? What components are on it? Can you post a pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's an early 2007 model. I'm not sure of the components. The owner is adding new tires. If the bike components are stock would this be a fair asking price.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really need to know the components - it probably is if it has Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace and the bike is perfect. I have seen where people paid between 1600 and 2200 new for it.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Hey guyz? Guyz? Wait up!! Siu Blue Wind's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddha
    We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by making View Post
    Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Took a quick spin through Craigs List, lower mileage bikes are going for more. Price seems to be fair.

If you like it and it fits, go for it.

If you are near Boise, this one sounds sweet:

FELT F55 Road Bike - 2007 - New/Mint Condition 52cm - $1100 (Sun Valley, Idaho)

Reply to: sale-755492664@craigslist.org
    Date: 2008-07-14, 10:57PM MDT

$1100 OBO (frameset only is $750 on EBAY!). Call Jim @ 208.721.1203.

Photo is not actual bike but mine looks exactly like it. Fits riders 5'5" to 5'9".

This bike is rated 4.79 out of 5 on www.roadbikereview.com!!! Follow this link:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/la...8_5668crx.aspx

Delivery to Boise possible on Saturday, July 19, 2008 or the second weekend in August.

This bike has been ridden 3 times (100 miles total). Never crashed, never in rain. It looks and rides as new. Purchased new last year, the bike has been hanging on my wall for the past year. I don't ride it so it's time for it to go.
    Last edited by wrk101; 07-18-08 at 09:16 PM. Reason: addl info

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going to suggest that a season old Bike has a value of half of the retail price. Retail of $1999 and half that is about right for a private sale. Couple of points to look at and a new set of tyres will mean it has had some good use. milage wise. Cf Seat stays I believe so check the frame for dings on the Aluminium and knocks on the CF. Wheels are strong so check truemess on them and then ride it. Gears change ok- no sloppiness in them and the final thing -DOES IT FIT. If it doesn't fit- forget it so perhaps you should look at that first.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Siu Blue Wind View Post
    What year is it? What components are on it? Can you post a pic?
    Thanks for all the great feedback. I did some research with the bikes owner. It has the following parts. It sounds like he is asking a fair price. Do you guys agree.

Felt F55 - Aluminum Frame w/ Carbon Fork and Seat StaysShimano Ultegra Shift/Brake Levers
    Shimano Ultegra Front Derailleur
    Shimano Dura Ace Rear Derailleur
    Shimano Ultegra 10 Spd Cassette
    Full Speed Ahead (FSA) Carbon Pro Compact Crankset
    Velomax Vista SL Wheelset
    Tektro RX20G Brakes w/Cartridge Brake Shoes
    Michelin Pro3 Race Tires *New On Monday*
    - I ordered these before purchasing the new bike so they will be installed on Monday.

My Bikes
    Too many to list, all vintage
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Interesting to me, I use the same 50% rule that Stapfam mentioned. My logic is based on several reasons. First, I figure the bike is used (instant depreciation), secondly, I figure it could have been bought for less than MSRP so MSRP is not really the starting point, and third, usually, any warranty goes away.

+1 on new tires, probably means some serious miles, which is OK, but can be additional negotiating tool.

All in all, probably a fair price if it fits and you like it. Original owner is taking a serious haircut on depreciation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My LBS tells me that Felt 2008 is totally sold out at the factory so any comparison you make will be with what the dealer has on hand. Seems like a reasonable price if the frame fits! Otherwise pile up your money and light it on fire.