Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike computers are not good company

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-26-08, 09:24 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts

Took a ride this morning on a backcountry farm road. It is charitably listed as a branch of the local rail trail but it is a Stapfam quality ride without the extreme hills. 2 tire tracks between the vegitation with a road surface that was gravel at its best and 3" diameter rocks where the maintenance crews are trying to fill wet areas. There were even a few stretches of 1" traprock (sharp and nasty) thrown in. Generally a great saturday morning workout here in CT. The ride was fortunately up on the outbound an down on the return and ran for a total of 24 miles.

After being thuroughly disheartened on the outbound trip by average speeds approaching a wopping 9mph (I was struck in the back at one point by a butterfly) I began to hammer the return with speeds in spots approaching (well, I'll keep that to myself). I had flipped the display on the computer back to total miles to see if all this effort was doing any good. Just about a mile and a half from the trailhead I began to hit the wall but was close enough to continue without slowing much.

At this point in a sort of pain inducd haze I began to struggle to get the milage on the computer to keep going up. No matter how had I rode it would creep upward at some glacial pace. It would click off another 10th of a mile every minute. It was the total ride time display. Here I was killing myself at 20+ on dirt trying to get my clock to run faster. I hate those machines.

Last edited by maddmaxx; 07-26-08 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-26-08, 10:34 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That's precisely why I don't use one most of the time.

I prefer to be the one to to decide how hard I should ride rather than leave that decision making to a machine.

Incidentally, crappy trail = another variation in the fabric of cycling. It should be cherished rather than cursed.
Old 07-26-08, 10:40 AM
jwh

Bikes: Trek EX9.8, Cervelo S3, Eddy Mercyx Mourenx 69 disc, Intense Carbine,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess it's a blessing that I can't read mine until I put my cheaters on when I'm done!
Old 07-26-08, 10:45 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Change the settings or use 2 magnets.

Old 07-26-08, 12:57 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
That trail sounds like a perfect place for the Dormouse. I know Kemo Sabe would love it.
Old 07-26-08, 01:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Change the settings or use 2 magnets.

And get bad Eye sight and small computer figures. Can't see how bad I am doing till PIE time.

Spike Milligan