Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Cycling in the groove again

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-08, 07:11 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts

The week following my first week of chemotherapy has been a mixed bag. It started smoothly, hit some pretty rough spots for a couple of days and now seems to be back on a smooth course.

For a couple of days in the middle of the week, I had bad sore mouth and throat problems, a common side effect of one of my chemo drugs. I was losing weight and dehydrating. Theonly good thing about it was I got to stay home sick on the day of the Alpe d'Huez stage of the TdF. The second day was rough, but I got IV fluids, new throat medicine and lots of good vibes from all around.

A pan of veggy lasagna seemed to be the catalyst to get things back on track. I was able to eat a square of it Thursday night and I woke up Friday and ate a big breakfast. I even ate Mexican that night and still felt great.

Today I rode a few miles with my wife and son and a few members of my club on the MUP at the local river greenway. I came home to watch the TdF time trial and celebrated the surprising result. It's good to be back in the groove.

Old 07-26-08, 08:30 PM
TCR Advanced SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Nuttin but the best ------ keep it up! Lane Lp
Old 07-26-08, 09:07 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's just great news! Sounds like you are making the best of things.

The group photo is the best bike group photo I have ever seen.... possibly one of my favorite photos ever! Everything about it -- the scenery, the faces, the colors, the lineup of the people and bikes, the sunlight through the trees..... it's just captivating and I keep going back to it.
Old 07-26-08, 09:31 PM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Originally Posted by Yen
That's just great news! Sounds like you are making the best of things.

The group photo is the best bike group photo I have ever seen.... possibly one of my favorite photos ever! Everything about it -- the scenery, the faces, the colors, the lineup of the people and bikes, the sunlight through the trees..... it's just captivating and I keep going back to it.

The photographer, my wife Lori, says thank you.

Now I need to go find a bigger pillow so her head will fit on it.
Old 07-26-08, 09:46 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
The photographer, my wife Lori, says thank you.

Now I need to go find a bigger pillow so her head will fit on it.
She deserves it. A big satin pillow and a crown of jewels.
Old 07-27-08, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Glad to see you out and about and looooookiiiiing goood, BD.
Old 07-27-08, 10:51 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Yen
She deserves it. A big satin pillow and a crown of jewels.
You are sure right about that. She has had to deal with more than a person should have to bear with her Daddy's 25 year battle with MS that mercifully ended last year. Then her grandmother passed away at 92 after a struggle with Altzheimer's. Just when we thought she would get a break, I came home with the news that I have cancer. Sometimes I don't see how she can handle it all. Sometimes she can't. But she always gets back up and soldiers on. She deserves more than I can give her.

More good news today. I stepped on the scales this morning and I'm up 5 lbs. from my low point Thursday of 180. I'm onlt 10 lbs. below the 195 I weighed before going into the hospital in June. And I'm eating like a teenager.
Old 07-27-08, 11:09 AM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure love reading these posts, Dawg! You da man! (And she's quite a lady as well!)

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-27-08, 11:17 AM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BD, the book I mentioned in another post is A Cancer Battle Plan. Take a look and read the reviews and see if it's something you might benefit from.
Old 07-27-08, 11:38 AM
just keep riding

Originally Posted by Yen
BD, the book I mentioned in another post is A Cancer Battle Plan. Take a look and read the reviews and see if it's something you might benefit from.
Thanks for the link, Yen. I must be honest. From reading the reviews it sounds a little flakey and quasi-religeous for my tastes.