User Tag List

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ordered a new bike

There is not much wrong with my bike. It serves my riding well. Then why did I just order a new bike. I don't know. Someone must have drugged me or something. I was just gaining my senses as I left the LBS with the receipt for the order in my hand.

The bike is an Orbea Onix SL. I rode with a young rider a few weeks ago that had just received his a few days earlier. It was a great looking bike. I kept thinking I would love to ride one. Then I must have slipped into an unconscious state, stumbled into the LBS and placed the order. Anyway that is the story my wife is getting and I am staying with it.

Anyone riding one of these? A review from a 50+ forum member would be great.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I almost did that with a Pinarello F4:13 last year - however the spirit was willing but the checkbook was weak

Instead I opted for the Specialized Tarmac.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ordered it without riding one?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0, ~'92 Trek Navigator 400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sweet bike, congratulations!
    Jim
    - - - - - - - - - - - -
    '07 Trek Pilot 5.0
    '06 West Marine Port Runner (Foldable)
    '01 Trek Navigator 400
    n + 1 = ???

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Yep - I rode the roubaix which was all they had in the shop. I had never ridden a CF frame and I wanted to see if it felt at all harsh like an AL frame.

I believe that all a test ride will tell you is if you hate a bike and not if you will like or love it. It takes me several long rides (>20miles) to get the fit adjustments all dialed in and then it takes me several months of riding to really decide. I have written a lot about my Tarmac here - it has not been until the last 6 weeks before it and I have dialed each other in and are acting like one and I have been riding it since last Sept or Oct (can't remember when I bought it). I am still tweaking the seat on it. It is a real climbing/sprinting machine and if I am riding for 10 to 40 miles I grab it. If I plan to ride over 40 miles I take my steel Simoncini - rides like butter but 5 lbs heavier, if I go for under 10 miles I take the Gary Fisher MTB - heavy, regular pedals but no overhead to start riding - I don't even wear bike clothes - just tie a shoe lace around my pant leg if I am not wearing shorts, strap on the helmet and go.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    I did ride the bike and worked with their staff coach/sales person. Very knowledgeable. I think I will get a great fit. The components, all Ultegra, are just what I wanted, including the compact crank (50/34)and the cassette (12/25).

I also know that the best laid plans can sometimes go awry. so even with the work I and the LBS put into this, who knows if it will the the bike I think it will be.
    I started riding my bike to get healthy. Now I try to stay healthy so I can ride my bike.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR T, Trek SC
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never riden the bike. It looks very nice. You must not have hills. I would have used a 13:29 cassette instead of a 12:25, especially since you're using a compact crank.

Let us know how it goes when it gets and you get to play with it.
    Hi 'o Silver away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love to get an Orbea... sweet looking machines. Never rode one, though.
    As for riding a CF frame to see how it feels because I've never tried one", yeah, I did that, too.
    That's how I ended up with my Giant. Watch yourself
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gearing seems right- providing no Mountains involved. There is something about the Pro Racing bikes. It may not be the same model as used in the TDF- but just to have an Orbea- Pinarrelo- Cervello- etc. improves your speed by about .1mph. But mentally is is 100 times that.

Great bike- great choice but what colour- what size and where is it going to live for the first month of its life. Does the wife understand that new bikes have to have a room of their own yet?
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't get my question wrong. I don't own a bike that I rode an example of before I ordered it.
    I had never actually seen a Bridgestone RB-1 before I ordered Ribby. We are a match made in heaven. Never rode a steel Trek MTB before I bought the 970 frame off eBay. I love that frame and have enjoyed every configuration I have put it into. The first ride I ever took on any full suspension MTB was my first ride on the Stumpjumper FSR Comp I ordered ealier this year. Fits me like a glove and rides great. My KHS tandem turned out to be just slightly larger than ideal for me, but I suspected that before I ordered it. The only other available size would have definitely been too small. I have been able to get it to fit me pretty well.

If you know enough about what you like and want in a bike, you can hit a target pretty well by studying the specs and reading about a bike's characteristics.

Those Orbeas are some sweet looking bikes.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    2007 Tirreno Razza 2000
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The size of the new bike is 60. The color is white with black trim. The wheels are Mavic with Mavic hubs.

We do have lots of hills on the western side of town and all flat country to the East. I have been riding a compact crank with 50/34 and a 12/27 cassette. Gearing has not been a problem as I seldom need to go to the 27. Mostly I am in the 24, which is the next to lowest. I think I will be Ok with the 25 on the new bike. It is the tired old engine that is a problem.

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your new acquistion; the Orbea bikes are the real deal. Post a few pics when you get it. Lp

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a few months I owned a 2006 Orca, which the factory replaced 2 mos. ago with a 2008 Diva. I loved the ride of the Orca but the Diva is the best yet. I love the fit, the feel, the stiffness, the comfort, the sheer rideability of this bike. It's just hawt.

I hope you love your Onix as much as I love my Diva. Post a pic when you get it.
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.