Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Fifty Plus (50+) (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/)
-   -   OT: 50+: Poll (https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/447322-ot-50-poll.html)

solveg 07-29-08 09:07 AM

OT: 50+: Poll

I'm not usually a victim of excess anxiety. But for the past few weeks, I've had kind of itchy sense of foreboding...like something is going happen which will shake my life up. It doesn't affect my activities, but in the morning, when I'm planning my day, I have a sense of urgency in "taking care of business" because I feel something coming.

Anyone else been feeling this lately? It feels kind of like how I imagine dogs feel before a thunderstorm.

Red Rider 07-29-08 09:19 AM

I haven't been in a thunderstorm in so long that I barely remember what they're like.

The air sure smells good after it clears, though.

No unease here, just conjuring up post-t-storm air smells.

Hope your uneasiness isn't age-related. :D

swan652 07-29-08 09:22 AM

Occasionally, but it usually passes with my morning constitutional. :)

solveg 07-29-08 09:24 AM

Y'know, Red Rider, you may be right! I was* feeling this last year about this time of year. Maybe it's age, or the shortening of days? Or maybe it's the experience of having so many "BOO!" things happen in Aug-Oct.

maddmaxx 07-29-08 09:26 AM

I have detected the possibility that I may be mortal after all...........................the thought sucks.

cyclinfool 07-29-08 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 7158557)
I'm not usually a victim of excess anxiety. But for the past few weeks, I've had kind of itchy sense of foreboding...like something is going happen which will shake my life up. It doesn't affect my activities, but in the morning, when I'm planning my day, I have a sense of urgency in "taking care of business" because I feel something coming.

Anyone else been feeling this lately? It feels kind of like how I imagine dogs feel before a thunderstorm.

Take these feelings seriously - I have learned never to question a womens intuition.

wobblyoldgeezer 07-29-08 09:49 AM

No, Solveg, I don't share that foreboding. Personally, things seem to be fine.

However, we've exchanged messages about health related stuff. Whenever I'm anxious, it's blood sugar related. To me, it seems my mind follows my body.

Are you fit and healthy?

I hope the concerns ease

treebound 07-29-08 10:50 AM

The election year, gas prices, the economy, strange seasonal weather, all sort of stuff to potentially make one feel the need to take care of business. So, yes, maybe so. I'm doing what I can with what I can, and the rest I'll just have to deal with if and when it happens.

Could be the quiet before the storm, or just winter too soon coming again.

cranky old dude 07-29-08 01:06 PM

Not any more uneasy than normal.

The world is a volitile place full of many maniacal leaders and level headed citizens....
who knows what will impact our daily routine next. Nothing I do will change world events
so I just hang on and try to enjoy the ride.

RonH 07-29-08 01:15 PM

I have that feeling every time I watch the evening news on CNN. I'm afraid that an overwhelmingly LARGE group of a-holes and idiots will vote for Obama.

solveg 07-29-08 01:17 PM

I think Red Rider put me on the right track. I think I'm sensing the shortening of the days....

The Weak Link 07-29-08 01:20 PM

Exactly. EXACTLY! I've been feeling the same way.

Is it the media's non-stop harping about every single thing wrong with the world in an effort to drive up profits and advance a political agenda?

Is it because we're all a bunch of spoiled pampered brats who gripe that we can only spend three weeks this year in our beach houses, unlike generations before us who were more worried about just staying alive?

Is it that the poop really is getting ready to hit the fan?

Is it that I need to increase my SSRI dosage?

I don't really know.

Ames 07-29-08 01:33 PM

Breaking news that LA just had a 5.8 earthquake. Good thing you are not there.

DnvrFox 07-29-08 01:34 PM

Blueberry Pie!

cranky old dude 07-29-08 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Ames (Post 7160982)
Breaking news that LA just had a 5.8 earthquake. Good thing you are not there.

My daughter moved into her first home away from home in Culver City on the
16th of this month. No word from her as of yet though I read that property
damage and injury reports are nill so far.

maddmaxx 07-29-08 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RonH (Post 7160794)
I have that feeling every time I watch the evening news on CNN. I'm afraid that an overwhelmingly LARGE group of a-holes and idiots will vote for Obama.

A simple majority is often taken for an overwhelmingly large group depending on your perspective. As to whether those groups are made up of a-holes or idiots depends more on history. I've already seen on these pages that George rides a full suspension MTB and Obama rides a hardtail. Does anyone have any idea at all what sort of bike that John rides and would it be suitable for a 50+er?

bkaapcke 07-29-08 02:50 PM

I'm worried about the economy, what with the idiots being in charge. bk

The Weak Link 07-29-08 02:54 PM

I dunno for sure, but John seems like a 'bent rider to me.

Metric Man 07-29-08 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cranky old dude (Post 7161330)
My daughter moved into her first home away from home in Culver City on the
16th of this month. No word from her as of yet though I read that property
damage and injury reports are nill so far.

It was minor as earthquakes go here in So Cal. Sharp jolt and a little rumble but it was a short one. She should be fine, albeit a little unnerved if it was her first. :D

BluesDawg 07-29-08 03:28 PM

Not me. I'm not sweating any bumps and hills I'm coming upon in the short run. I see a long and smooth ride with fantastic views further on up the road.:ride:

SaiKaiTai 07-29-08 03:53 PM

I pretty much always feel like that

solveg 07-29-08 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Metric Man (Post 7161654)
It was minor as earthquakes go here in So Cal. Sharp jolt and a little rumble but it was a short one. She should be fine, albeit a little unnerved if it was her first. :D

Has anyone here ever been on a bike when a good sized (6.0) earthquake happened? I've never been in one, but I imagine you could be bounced right off a cliff if you were on a California Highway. On TV shows, every rod seems to have a 10 foot drop on the side.

Red Rider 07-29-08 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by solveg (Post 7162180)
Has anyone here ever been on a bike when a good sized (6.0) earthquake happened? I've never been in one, but I imagine you could be bounced right off a cliff if you were on a California Highway. On TV shows, every rod seems to have a 10 foot drop on the side.

'Tain't so; some are hundreds of feet to the bottom. ;)

Solveg, you need to come out here for a bike tour of our woefully misunderstood and overly-Hollywoodized state. You'd be surprised by how many roads without cliffs we have.

maddmaxx 07-29-08 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Red Rider (Post 7162202)

Solveg, you need to come out here for a bike tour of our woefully misunderstood and overly-Hollywoodized state. You'd be surprised by how many roads without cliffs we have.

roads without cliffs for the moment.................;)

Metric Man 07-29-08 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by Red Rider (Post 7162202)

True enough...it's a beautiful state when you get away from the big cities.:commute: