User Tag List

My Bikes
    Specialized Sequoia, Specialized Crosstrail, Cannondale Synapse Carbon
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunscreen for your face

I've been spending a lot more time cycling in the sun than ever before. I don't mind slathering sunblock on my arms, neck, etc., but I don't like that greasy-faced feeling of putting any quantity on my face. So this weekend, having ridden several hours on two beautiful sunny days, I didn't like the redness in my face when I looking in a mirror. I've had a couple of basal cell thingies removed in the past and would like to be cautious given my general history of skin disorders.

So what type of sunblock is particularly good for use on your face? I remember using a gel-type product a few years ago called (IIRC) "Shade", but don't remember how effective it was.

Also, what about getting sun on a balding pate through the helmet vents? I have a fabric helmet liner that would cover my head, but in the summer it counteracts the reason for the vents in the first place and just makes my head super-sweaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife bought me the Neutragena Dry Touch sunblock. It's like wearing no sunscreen at all and seems to last a long time even in hot weather.

My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To keep the sun off my head I wear a cycling cap turned around backwards. I haven't noticed my head being too hot but I have noticed that my sunglasses don't get sweat dripping on them anymore.

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For your balding head this product is GREAT!! I use the sweat band when I work
    around the property and a sweat cap when I ride. THEY ARE GREAT!!

CAP.....
    http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products

BAND...

HAT.....(Good al'round solution but you'll have to ditch the helmet)

As far as you face/neck the only real solution is shade. Kinda hard to do on a bike but not
    impossible if you think outside the box.
    Last edited by Nightshade; 07-29-08 at 11:17 AM.
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always wear a skull cap or "do rag" under my helmet to prevent weird suntan patterns on the top of my head. My wife and I use Ocean Potion FACE SPF 45 Clear Zinc Oxide on our faces and it is a good product. The wife stands in the Florida sun most of the day giving tennis lessons so is particular about her sunscreen. I don't use the same stuff on my arms and legs though, it would take too much of it to cover other than my face/ears.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wear "Head Sweats" and find no difference in cooling. (In fact they help protect from being stung from the occasional bee that flies into the helmet vents. For my face I use Neutrogena Age Shield SPF45 and a full beard.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have powder sunscreen out now made with minerals so your pores don't get blocked up. It's in the women's make up section, but it's unbelievably awesome. You just brush it on, and it doesn't sweat off.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read this --> http://www.ewg.org/node/22204
    I switched sunscreen products after I read it.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    1980 Motobacane Team Champion 2008 Gary Fisher Hi Fi 2009 Madone 6.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use an athletic water resistant sun screen and it works very well to date. Currently Coppertone from Wally World. It seems a lot less oily feeling and I wash my hands afterwards and only apply to exposed areas like the outisde and front of legs and arms.and no higher than the bottom of the eye area.

My Bikes
    07 Rivendell Atlantis, 80's Mondonico, 91 Cinelli ATB, 83 Schwinn Peleton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, 97 Klein Stage Comp, 81 SR Touring Bike, 80's CCM, 84 Bridgestone 200
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Jane Iredale, and it got a 2 on that list, which is pretty good.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewaday View Post
    The wife bought me the Neutragena Dry Touch sunblock. It's like wearing no sunscreen at all and seems to last a long time even in hot weather.
    I tried that stuff. It seemed to work pretty well, but when it gets in the eyes, it feels like acid.
    I've had good luck with Banana Boat Faces and regular Banana Boat. Ocean Lotion is good, too.
    Tried some generic stuff and got burned a little.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to use sunscreen due to being immunosuppressed. Over the past couple of summers, I've tried the more expensive brands with the more exotic chemicals in them, but every single one gives me a rash. So I just use Coppertone Faces oil-free. I don't know what it's doing to minimize my long term UV exposure, but I sure haven't had any sunburn on my face despite hours of riding in the sun. Of course, I do reapply if I'm out much longer than a couple of hours. The one negative about sunscreen is the need to reapply. I won't do it on the road unless I can wash it off my hands somehow, because it gets all over my bar tape and Campy hoods. A little package of wet towels in my handlebar bag does the trick.

My Bikes
    1979 Rampar R-1 (SS Conversion), 1991 Jamis Exile
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aveeno Continuous Protection Sunblock Lotion. Just spent a couple of weeks fishing, and no sunburn even after spending all day on the water, though I'm very fair skinned. Felt good on my skin -- almost like there was nothing there.

My Bikes
    Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use the Walgreens zinc oxide stuff for the face. It got a real good review for effectiveness. It looks bad like cold cream at first, but once you rub it in it disappears and you don't notice any more.

My Bikes
    Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bald pate or not do not use any of the classic sunscreens above the eyes where it may end up sweating into them. Sunscreen in the eyes stings like blazes. I only made that mistake once many years ago in ignornace and again one time when I somehow got some on my hands and rubbed my eye with the finger. Oh man did that sting. Had to find a place to wash and rinse it out of my eyes. ince then I wear head gear of some form instead of using sunscreen anywhere above the eyes.

Some of these new ones they are talking about here may prove to be different in that regard but any of the "usual" ones will burn your eyes out like someone is sticking a knife into them.
    Model airplanes are cool too!.....

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    Read this --> http://www.ewg.org/node/22204
    I switched sunscreen products after I read it.
    I did too, but haven't been happy with what I've tried so far. I'm still experimenting.

+1 on the skull cap. I have no bald spots, but keep my hair so short my scalp would burn.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

My Bikes
    Specialized Tricross SportCannondale Road Warrior 500, Trek 7300
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dewaday View Post
    +1 on that. I have been using it for two years now and have been very happy with.

Know what to say about how to protect your dome. Got mine covered still.

You know what they say, "God made a few perfect heads, the rest he covered with hair."

My Bikes
    '08 Orbea Diva "The Avocado"; Specialized Dolce comp "Sweet Thang"; Co-Motion Roadster "Blue Jay", Fuji Team Pro
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Clinique city block on my face, Coppertone sport spray everywhere else (allegedly it's waterproof), and wear a cycling hat or skullcap to protect my head. And still I tan. Oh, well...
    When my feet hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders and says, "Oh, *****, she's awake!"

Visit my blog.

My Bikes
    Cervelo Prodigy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's also the long forgotten aspect...after the ride. I have been using aloe vera gel on the arms. I don't know if it will make any difference but no harm trying. Perhaps in the long run there might be some good to it. Also in riding, much like sailing, there is also wind burn. That will make your skin turn red too. Here again aloe vera gel might be good for the skin.

My Bikes
    Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with putting regular sunscreen on my face so I can't comment on that. I just use Coppertone 30, or even a generic spf 30. I have a helmet with a visor. I think that helps quite a bit in protecting your face, though not enough to consider forgoing sunscreen. I wear those "pirate" bandana things to protect the top of my balding head from sun-through-the-vents. I bought some from Nashbar or Performance made from CoolMax. They're called "HeadSweatz" I think. They probably add to my hot head, but I don't find them uncomfortable. They're overpriced though.

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For touch-ups on the road I use Neutrogena Sunblock Stick. SPF (only) 30. It's like a chunk of chapstick, which has two advantages: it doesn't seem to run into my eyes (too waxy); and I can put it on without getting it on my hands.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Road Warrior 800 & H400
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel
    For touch-ups on the road I use Neutrogena Sunblock Stick. SPF (only) 30. It's like a chunk of chapstick, which has two advantages: it doesn't seem to run into my eyes (too waxy); and I can put it on without getting it on my hands.
    Thanks for the link! I haven't noticed that in stores, but it looks like a good solution for a longer ride.
    `,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,`,
    2005 Cannondale Road Warrior 800

My Bikes
    Douglas Matrix, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A biking vet coworker of the wife suggested some stuff called Blue Lizard. It's only available on the net (AFAIK) but this stuff is amazing. I used one coat for the Triple Bypass, spent 11.5 hours in the sun at 9000-12000' ASL and didn't even get pink. Truly amazing stuff IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the evidence I've seen seems to suggest there is very little difference between SPF 30 and SPF 60. If the latter costs much more, it's probably not worth buying it.