Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Price rant (maybe on topic)

OK whats the deal? My wife and I just got our AARP cards and the first time I elect to ask for a discount I've been rejected! I contacted a race Director regarding an upcoming race that has a Master 55+ group. The purpose of my contact was to determine if I am eligible to race in that catergory or if I even should since this if my first year of racing. I noticed that the race entry cost varied by race and catergory i.e. Juniors @ $15, cat 5's @ $20 Cat 1,2,3's @ $25. I merely asked if there were a discount for the Master riders aged 55 and over. The answer was a short and direct "NO". Not even accompanied with a cursory apology.

Should I be offended? Is there any agency out there to protect my status as an AARP member? Maybe I should just boycott the event. Better yet, maybe we can get 300 of us 55+ riders out there to do crital mass like ride to block the route of those willing to pay full price while being subjected to pain and humilation.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In this case it looks like a clear case of mistaken identity. You were mistaken for one of the members of the Alternative Admisions Research Project.

Once the race director made that mistake, it was logical for him to think that you were looking for some alternative admisions rate projection......................................

My Bikes
    LeMond Buenos Aires, Trek 7500, Scattante CFR, Burley Hudson
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jet,
    Try not to confuse being over 55 with being a member of AARP. there is a difference.
    Suntree, Fl.
    Burley Hudson (n+3)
    Scattante CFR (n+2)
    LeMond Buenos Aries (steel)(n+1)
    Trek 7500 (n)

crazyguyonabike.com/lighthorse

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lighthorse View Post
    Jet,
    Try not to confuse being over 55 with being a member of AARP. there is a difference.
    But the application promised discounts backed by the purchasing power of millions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably my Pennsylvania Dutch/Quaker upbringing, but I think discounts are inherently dishonest. Charge an honest price and you don't need to give discounts. This, I suspect, is not a popular view.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet View Post
    But the application promised discounts backed by the purchasing power of millions.

Yep, but not everywhere. Some places have no discounts, some have small discounts
    and some have larger discounts. I always carry my card and ask everywhere I go.
    One other point as I also belong to AAA (Automobile Association of America), sometimes
    one discount is better than the other so I ask about both.

I've also been to many establishments where the cashier has assumed by my appearance
    that I'm old enough to qualify for senior discounts that I had no knowledge of and they
    just apply it. This has been happening to me since my late 40's. I always thank
    them and just go on my way.

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cranky old dude View Post
    Yep, but not everywhere. Some places have no discounts, some have small discounts
    and some have larger discounts. I always carry my card and ask everywhere I go.
    One other point as I also belong to AAA (Automobile Association of America), sometimes
    one discount is better than the other so I ask about both.
    Culver's has discounts both for seniors and for sports teams in uniform.

My wife and I stopped for lunch at Culvers after a ride while we were still wearing our bicycling garb. I tried for both discounts but they said only one discount to a customer. I got her lunch at the senior discounted price and the athlete in uniform discount for mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BSLeVan View Post
    It's probably my Pennsylvania Dutch/Quaker upbringing, but I think discounts are inherently dishonest. Charge an honest price and you don't need to give discounts. This, I suspect, is not a popular view.
    +1 plus discounts to the elderly are discrimination based on age. which is illegal.

OK I'll get out of your forum.

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the discounts that AARP is talking about is on things like car rentals, hotels, meals, etc. Not bike races.
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Your attitude is popular with me. It reminds me of a day when a nod and a handshake were enough to seal a deal that was good for both parties.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You are confusing "senior age" with "retirement". The two are not necessarily the same.

My Bikes
    1986 Univega Grand Touring; 1983 Puch A/D Pacifica; 2006 LeMond Sarthe
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [rant] That any "special" privileges should be granted on the basis of age is wrong. By what measure does any age entitle anyone to have more favorable treatment than others? Ageism is ageism, no matter what age it is applied to. Age is inevitable, and nothing "special" at all. [/rant]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Wife and I own a used book store and price our books as cheaply as we can. We feel that if a store is having a sale they are overcharging in the first place. The same with discounts.

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our only special service for the over 55 crowd is talking more loudly!

I hope the OP was a joke.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandovoodoo View Post
    Our only special service for the over 55 crowd is talking more loudly!

I hope the OP was a joke.
    Of course it was a joke. Geeze, maybe I'm not ready for this fourm yet?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As more and more of you reach 50 or 55 or whatever age the discount is, there will be fewer and fewer discounts, or they will move tha age up higher.

It's not age dsicrimination. It's age advantageism.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rober View Post
    [rant] That any "special" privileges should be granted on the basis of age is wrong. By what measure does any age entitle anyone to have more favorable treatment than others? Ageism is ageism, no matter what age it is applied to. Age is inevitable, and nothing "special" at all. [/rant]

I don't remember reading anything about entitlement. I'll say this though, if
    someone's willing to offer a discount......well I ain't daft enough to refuse it, yet.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    He he he. I wouldn't have bothered with the smiley.

Next up, whip that card out the next time you buy a bicycle and try to get the extra discount.

Or at a toll booth.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a senior discount for you:

http://www.wayodd.com/german-brothel...ers-60/v/6842/
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as organized rides / races go, the older you are, the longer you are probably out there, using up the event resources. Therefore you should actually pay more.

Old Fogy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ain't got no pride. Offer a senior discount and I'll take it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The wife and I took the granddaughter to the amusement park. Pulled up and said 2 seniors(55+) and a 2 year old. Teen ticket taker looked at me and said "You are real lucky it was not twins!" Compliment, I guess?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    The wife and I took the granddaughter to the amusement park. Pulled up and said 2 seniors(55+) and a 2 year old. Teen ticket taker looked at me and said "You are real lucky it was not twins!" Compliment, I guess?

Compassionate is more like it. When I turned 50 our twins were 11 years old.
    They're great kids but it's been a tough 19 years, and still counting.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I play a role in the freshman student orientation at the University of Wisconsin. Every once in a while, there are parents who stick out as being much older than the average parents. I've seen guys who looked to be around 70, there with an 18 yr old child.

As a 53 yr old with a 16 yr old still at home, I cannot imagine still dealing with all of the trauma of having a teenager at 70.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    I play a role in the freshman student orientation at the University of Wisconsin. Every once in a while, there are parents who stick out as being much older than the average parents. I've seen guys who looked to be around 70, there with an 18 yr old child.

As a 53 yr old with a 16 yr old still at home, I cannot imagine still dealing with all of the trauma of having a teenager at 70.
    When my 26 year old became a teenager- she was 13 going on 25. Never really knew what it was like to have an annoying youngster in the house. However the 24 year old has always acted her age- Then the boys came along and she grew up.

What a pity.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast