User Tag List

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conditioning for organized events

I'm getting to the point that I'm ready to start riding in some organized events. Something along the lines of 40-60 miles. I have a chance to do a metric century on August 23rd and in fact have a couple of people pushing me to do this ride.

My problem is that I've been biking now for a little over 5 weeks. Yes, I do have 722 miles on the odometer as I write this, but my rides have been on commutes (10 miles one way) with the balance being just tearing around on the bike trail. I have 20 miles experience on rural roads that have a 200' elevation change so there are some hills but not what I would consider huge. My longest rides have been in the neighborhood of 15 to 20 miles and I have only done a couple of those.

As I look at this it seems obvious that I need to work up within 20% of 60 miles to have a good chance of getting that metric century. There is no sag support on this ride so I need to be sure I can finish it.

So far so good. But then I read about a guy that put 800 total miles in this year before running in RAGBRAI. Well, I can't even begin to think that I could do that. Who knows, maybe I could. At 235 I'm about 20 lbs over what I want to be weighing.

I guess my question is this: Am I being too conservative in getting into good enough shape for a metric century? I would also like to do a (regular?) century this year. I am seriously motivated to do this but I need to be sure I don't blow out a knee or anything doing this either.

I'm doing this all on a Trek 7.3FX if that makes a difference. When I got the bike it seemed like the right choice. I'm already planning on getting a nice road bike by next spring but that isn't going to help me much now.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This weekend- Plan a circular route of say 10 miles. Do it from home if possible. You say you have done 20 miles max at present so this is the weekend of 3 x 10 mile laps. You can leave water on the porch so you don't get tempted to stop and sit down for 3 hours watching the TV. With the milage you have done on your commute and general riding- 30 miles will be do-able. In fact- If you feel good after 3 laps- do a 4th.

Now has the trek got slicks fitted or treaded tyres? Get slicks if you can before the metric- but only after this weekend. Doing a 30 or 40 miler and you will know if you will be ready in 3 weeks time for the longest ride you have done to date.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Galveston County Texas 10 Wheels's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do a 40 mile ride now. 60 is a big jump.
    Try Stapfam's recommedations.
    I was able to do 48 miles ride after 1,000 miles on my 66 y/o legs.
    Last edited by 10 Wheels; 07-29-08 at 12:26 PM.
    [SIZE=1][B]What I like about Texas[/B]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGukLuXzH1E

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Now has the trek got slicks fitted or treaded tyres?
    I have slicks - 32mm.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the amount of miles you have you can do a metric - you may need to take a few breaks along the way and if you don't try to stay with a fast pace group. Your average is 140miles/wk or 20 per day. Thats a lot of miles and that assumes no rest days. Now if you want the metric to be easier and a little faster then throw in a couple of 30 mile rides this week, a 30 and a 40 next week and a 30 and a 50 the week after. Take a rest day after each long day and for two days before the metric and you will most likely blow right through it. Using the 10 mile loop idea will work for this if you can stand riding in circles all day. The other bit of advice is make sure you get proper nutrition/hydration, it is not an issue for rides of 30 miles or less but becomes more of one the longer you go after that.

Good luck
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Slicks will make it easier- And don't forget that 30 or 40 miles is longer than you have done before. Have a breakfast of Oatmel and drink before you start riding. If it is hot-- then drink a liter of water at least per hour and start eating snacks as soon as you start riding. Salty biscuits- dried fruit- cereal bars. you WILL need the energy that food gives you.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing that your butt will give out before your legs do.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a thread I posted on my club's forum this week for a couple of members who are planning their first 50 mile organized ride this coming weekend. I think some of the tips should be helpful for you.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Weak Link View Post
    I'm guessing that your butt will give out before your legs do.
    I thought it was courtesy to let the "New" rider find this out for himself.

Then it is down to the "Brooks or Not" debate to start again- we haven't had one of those for a couple of weeks.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Then it is down to the "Brooks or Not" debate to start again- we haven't had one of those for a couple of weeks.
    OOOO - and I thought things were getting dull around here - I can't wait...
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    OOOO - and I thought things were getting dull around here - I can't wait...
    I already have 200 miles or so on my B-17 so we won't have to have the argument again

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're ready for a metric.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Trek 7.3FX
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the input. I registered today for it.

I'll celebrate tonight by doing the 10 mile ride home and then a 20 mile loop around the MUP.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdastroguy View Post
    Thanks for all the input. I registered today for it.

I'll celebrate tonight by doing the 10 mile ride home and then a 20 mile loop around the MUP.
    Right- You are now committed. Get the milage in and make certain the Butt/saddle interface is right. Make certain that you drink a bit more in the day at work- to get a bit better hydrated for the training rides- and start Carbo- Loading. Carbo-Loading is where you start eating more Carbo-Hydrates. Rice- Pasta- Sticky buns and PIE. Carbohydrates are where your energy on the rides will come from so throw the scales away for a couple of weeks. With extra riding you will lose weight but then gain it as Fat turns to Muscle.

As you are a newcomer- Don't throw the scales yet. On your training rides-You will need to drink. Weigh yourself before the ride and if you weigh more than 2lbs less after the ride- Then drink to make up the weight loss. Any loss on the ride will not be fat- It will be liquid so replace it within an hour of finishing the ride. If you do not rehydrate within an hour or so- You will pay for it the next day.

And Don't over do the riding- Commute every day if you have to but only do the extra miles every other day.

There is tons more information to give you but drink- Eat and rest are your main priorities now And getting the milage up of course.

Good luck.

Spike Milligan