Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

First time I've used my bike for errands

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 07-29-08, 01:50 PM

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts

Went to the grocery store this morning and bought a loaf of bread and some lunch meat . I strapped a cardboard box to my rear rack to hold the goodies . Now I want(need) a basket. Then I went to the bank this afternnon on my bike . It's neat not using any gas to do somethings that need to be done. Total mileage was only about 15 miles , but two months ago I wouldn't have been able to make it. kirby
Old 07-29-08, 01:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Congrats on your new-found sense of freedom. It is nice not
to be totally dependent on motorized transportation.
Old 07-29-08, 02:04 PM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations I've been using my bike for similar errands and plan to do more after I retire.

I bought some grocery panniers from Performance and they work great.
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=2312

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 07-29-08, 02:26 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Hate to say it but I am in the motor trade- I drive for a living now and all I can think of is how not to use the car. Trips to the LBS-10 miles away- Minor shopping trips locally that do not involve me leaving the bike unattended- and just going to the other end of the town to see mates.

Can't pick up the bargains if they won't fit in my canvas back bag that I always carry. Don't like it when it starts raining on the return trip and I have no waterproof-(Even worse if it is on the way out) And I am getting very good at swearing at car drivers.

Other than that- I must stop using the TCR for the errands. It takes so long to explain to the questions about it.

Spike Milligan
Old 07-29-08, 03:57 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I use a back pack for all my grocery shopping.
Light fragile items like bread, chips & eggs go in a plastic grocery bag hung between the shifters.
I always have a grocery list made up, so if I happen to be riding by the market on my way home from other errands, I'll stop in and pick up a few items. Having the GL made up, helps you to determine what you can carry on the spur of the moment.
Old 07-29-08, 05:19 PM
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kirby999
Went to the grocery store this morning and bought a loaf of bread and some lunch meat . I strapped a cardboard box to my rear rack to hold the goodies . Now I want(need) a basket. Then I went to the bank this afternnon on my bike . It's neat not using any gas to do somethings that need to be done. Total mileage was only about 15 miles , but two months ago I wouldn't have been able to make it. kirby
Way to go. Over half of all trips in the U.S. are under 5 miles. If we could get everyone doing this, gas prices would plummet. Besides, driving short distances is bad for the car. It never gets a chance to warm up.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 07-29-08, 05:24 PM

Bikes: Most of my bikes are Single Speed Conversions

Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 3,044 Times in 1,012 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I started out for my morning ride with the intention of picking up the bread at a gas station a couple of miles from the house on my way back home , then I thought ; heck, the Publix grocery is just a couple miles farther and the bread will be fresher . I picked up a black plastic basket at Xmart ,to strap to my rear rack for my next trip. A list would help keep things under control. kirby
Old 07-29-08, 06:05 PM
Really Old Senior Member

CONTROL is very important!
There's a few times I bought too many/heavy items and struggled to get home.
Canned goods get heavy fast. A 12 Pack of soda = 9lbs. You have to keep mental track of weight, along with the bulkiness. Try to balance things out so that you have a full load without excessive weight.
I try yo keep my backpack under 25 lbs. More than that and it gets to be work AND/OR a distraction.
YMMV
Also jeep track of "specialty" stores that may be closer to home, or on your other errands.
I have a bakery outlet store 6 blocks away, so I get all my bread items there. Closer, plus I get a senior discount.
I do try to buy a lot of frozen food items at the same time. A larger "mass" of them, packed together, tends to keep them all a bit cooler.
Old 07-29-08, 06:37 PM
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
A bike is a great grocery getter. I also have the performance (transit) grocery panniers, always attached. I frequently get about 3 full bags of groceries at a time, one full bag with the heavy stuff in each pannier, cold stuff in my insulated tail trunk, and then one or two plastic grocery bags bungeed over the top of everything with all the light stuff.
Old 07-29-08, 07:18 PM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been considering bolting a plastic milk crate to the back rack of the MTB. I use to cart my daughter around on the back of that bike - that was not too much weight for me to handle. I have a nice grocery, pharmacy, wine shop, and barber all within about 3 miles from the house. The Library is a little closer and my work is closer still. If it weren't for the NY winters I could ditch the car - I don't have the commitment that the Rochester contengent does.
Old 07-29-08, 07:27 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Way to go. Over half of all trips in the U.S. are under 5 miles. If we could get everyone doing this, gas prices would plummet. Besides, driving short distances is bad for the car. It never gets a chance to warm up.
Artkansas, where did you read that? I believe it completely in the cities, but I'm thinking about the vast rural parts of the country and it seems impossible.
Old 07-29-08, 08:04 PM
Really Old Senior Member

Originally Posted by kirby999
Thanks for all the suggestions. I started out for my morning ride with the intention of picking up the bread at a gas station a couple of miles from the house on my way back home , then I thought ; heck, the Publix grocery is just a couple miles farther and the bread will be fresher . I picked up a black plastic basket at Xmart ,to strap to my rear rack for my next trip. A list would help keep things under control. kirby
Check out these inexpensive paniers-

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting/400560-easy-built-bucket-panniers.html
Old 07-29-08, 08:08 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I regularly use my Cypress as a grocery / errands bike. Only thing I want to modify is adding a kickstand (I know, how blasphemous!) to make it more stable when putting the groceries in the panniers. I use the bike for trips to the grocery, library, and post office. Love to get to the store and watch the other folks snaking around fighting for a parking space.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 07-29-08, 09:02 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I bought my bike I was thinking of running errands and going to the grocery store. I discovered they don’t make a bike bag for the rack I have, because of my strange designed bike. I tried the backpack thing and still use it but I can do a lot more shopping with a trailer so I got one. My LBS is working on a modification so I can get a rear bike bag for short trips. With a trailer I can bring home a case of water, 2 twelve packs of Soda and 4 or five bags of groceries.

Still I go to the mall, the post office, and the bank and sometimes out to breakfast on the bike. The last time I put fuel in the Tahoe was June 9th. The little Pontiac hasn’t been to the station since July 16th.

It can be very satisfying when you cut your fuel consumption by any amount. Check your miles and see how you will smile when you see how much you are saving.
Old 07-29-08, 09:38 PM
Squirrel

Bikes: Borthwick Touring bike, 83 Schwinn Peloton, 94 Scott Cheyenne, ?? Bianchi Torino

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My favorite bike bags are my grocery getter panniers from REI. They are big and square and open topped, and they fold in flat when not in use. Perfect size for one grocery bag on each side.

Old 07-29-08, 09:44 PM
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by solveg
My favorite bike bags are my grocery getter panniers from REI. They are big and square and open topped, and they fold in flat when not in use. Perfect size for one grocery bag on each side.

I have these and use them for commuting. They are flippin' parachutes and really slow me down, but I sure haul a bunch. I've carried, in one ride, my laptop, all my pro camera gear, some food and a change of clothes. I've also shopped with them, buying normal stuff and wine and milk.

Carry on!
Old 07-29-08, 10:13 PM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by solveg

Those look like they might work for me. With my bike there would be no trouble with hitting my foot because I am almost semi recumbent so my feet are pretty far forward. Still would need the trailer for weekly shopping but for quick runs those grocery bags look like just the ticket.
Old 07-29-08, 10:38 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's great! I'd like to do that sometime, I just need to get a carrier.
Old 07-29-08, 10:43 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I do my errands, laundrymat, grocery shopping etc. I use my trailer. It appears that people often tink that I have a baby inside so they seem to be more careful around me (I am talking about people in cars) Anyway I think about the kind of trip I am going to take before I use the trailer.

Gas, .69 cents the price of a can of beans
Old 07-29-08, 10:52 PM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I regularly use my Cypress as a grocery / errands bike. Only thing I want to modify is adding a kickstand (I know, how blasphemous!) to make it more stable when putting the groceries in the panniers.
Get the kickstand.

My commuter has one. I love it; especially great for popping into a store and holding the bike stable while you deal with getting stuff loaded on the bike.

Here's the one, the Greenfield rear-mount kickstand:

https://www.amazon.com/Greenfield-Sta...7393530&sr=8-1
Old 07-30-08, 12:59 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I also have folding baskets on my old mountain bike. I set them back so my heals clear, I also have a cooler bag on top of the rack. I rode the bike 10 miles today just stopping to talk with friends and messing around. I use my road or touring bike for my long workout rides but enjoy the old mountain bike with slick 1" street tires. I also have a little "Ice Cream" bell and a big "U" bolt lock.
Just a nice mess around bike.
Old 07-30-08, 05:43 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
With two front panniers on the back and a back pack, I can carry 6 bags of groceries. I have panniers on both my Hardrock and my "utility" road bike.

Good for you.
Old 07-30-08, 05:51 AM

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Congrats on your new-found sense of freedom. It is nice not
to be totally dependent on motorized transportation.
Plus One. Gives one bragging rights. A basket is ok. But, your groceries are more secure in panniers. You can even insert an ice pack, should you buy ice cream. Because of my bike commute, I'd say I've reduced using the car for grocery shopping by maybe 80%. Freedom to not be forced to use the car. One of my favorite freedoms.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 07-30-08, 09:36 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclinfool
I have been considering bolting a plastic milk crate to the back rack of the MTB. I use to cart my daughter around on the back of that bike - that was not too much weight for me to handle. I have a nice grocery, pharmacy, wine shop, and barber all within about 3 miles from the house. The Library is a little closer and my work is closer still. If it weren't for the NY winters I could ditch the car - I don't have the commitment that the Rochester contengent does.
Go for it!!!!!

Even more durable if you can find an old metal crate. Either way all you need are
four mending plates, four machine screws and nuts to fasten the crate to your
rack. The mending plates act as washers ...two in the bottom of the crate and
two on the underside of your rack. It may look dorky but it works great for carrying
my nap-sak etc back and forth to work. Panniers would probably be better for grocieries,
I like the wire basket type...and paniers wouldn't get in the way of the seat-post
hitch for my trailer.
Old 07-30-08, 09:41 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 61 Posts
I'd recommend a child's trailer. You can load up with a week's worth of groceries. Ours became available for this as soon as our daughter switched to a Trail-A-Bike, but you can probably get one cheaply from parents in a similar situation who are not running errands by bicycle. Since the best loacl market here does not let carts into the parking lot and has very limited parking, the trailer is a real time and hassle saver for us.

Paul

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.