Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blood pressure & pulse

I can find lots of information on high blood pressure.

Since old people worry about such things (I'm starting to!), I was wondering about what was normal and what was low. The little data I can find suggests I'm at the low end of normal. 100/60 with a pulse of 53, just sitting down after working in the shop. The tech measuring this (yesterday) indicated that my exercise probably led to what she thought was low BP & pulse. Well. I'm not in particularly good shape by my standards. I can't just hop up and ride a fast 50 without thinking about it.

If I get trained up, should I be concerned that I'll develop lower BP? I don't think so, but figured I'd see if any of you folks have run into this.

This is what happens from listening to smart doctors. Job=stress, get rid of it. Eat fruit, avoid bad foods. Exercise lots. Don't worry, be happy. I used to have a resting pulse of 75 and a BP of 130/70!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nothing wrong with lower blood pressure, unless you get to the point where you start fainting when you stand up. That is unlikely.

Keep at it.

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good. I only faint when someone stops at a stop sign.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would kill for a consistent 130/70
    My doctor says "too low" is a problem he'll worry about when he sees it.
    100/60 is definitely on the low end of the scale
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Bacchetta Corsa, RANS Stratus XP
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be sure to keep yourself well hydrated when you ride. Low blood pressure is good, but getting dehydrated can lead to low blood volume which drops your blood pressure even further, and can cause the dizzy or fainting thing when you stand suddenly. My blood pressure often seems exceedingly low after riding (101 over 61 at a doctor's appointment after a morning ride two weeks ago), and I've had the dizzy symptoms, so I did a bit of research. Google "hypotension" to learn more.

I do have to smile at some of the nurse reactions that kind of blood pressure gets. The last one was, "Is that natural or are you on a high blood pressure drug?"
    Last edited by Bud Bent; 07-30-08 at 01:55 PM.
    Bud
    * 2009 RANS XStream
    * 2007 RANS Stratus XP
    * 2006 Bacchetta Corsa
    My Blog - uneasy-rider.com

They told me it's ok to post mileage over in the commuting forum, so you'll probably find me there these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandovoodoo View Post
    I can find lots of information on high blood pressure.

I was wondering about what was normal and what was low. The little data I can find suggests I'm at the low end of normal. 100/60 with a pulse of 53, just sitting down after working in the shop. .
    If I get trained up, should I be concerned that I'll develop lower BP? I don't think so, but figured I'd see if any of you folks have run into this.

This is what happens from listening to smart doctors. Job=stress, get rid of it. Eat fruit, avoid bad foods. Exercise lots. Don't worry, be happy. I used to have a resting pulse of 75 and a BP of 130/70!
    I cured my 120/90 at age 26 with jogging. It's 110-120/70-75 (pulse 49) and has stayed there for 43 years. A friend of mine had to go off his blood pressure med recently when he got in shape by cycling as he started to have dizzy spells. That apparently is the symptom of too low blood pressure. My wife used to suffer from it once in a while.

I wouldn't worry about it until you get dizzy spells which is probably unlikely.

Stress is how one reacts to pressure. Two people will react differently, one will be stressed, the other will thrive under the stimulation. Not too good to get rid of the pressure/stimulation, it can keep one challenged and younger.

Al

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't figure for the life of me why my BP is so high sometimes (160/70). I usually get this reading during a doctor visit where I just left work. I can't change jobs or stop working, Ive got a three year old to feed. I promise I'm not the typical hypertension patient. I'm 135lbs 5'6" and ride close to 100 miles a week. Not to mention my wife makes me eat good. My doctor has mentioned BP medicine, but my BP is not always high. I guess I just inherited this condition.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A recent concern has developed when there is a marked difference between systolic and diastolic readings, known as your pulse pressure. 160/70 is a really high difference between the two.

Some folks (like me) claim to have "white-coat" hypertension, but research has shown that many of us also have hypertension under any kind of pressure similar to a MD's office. Generally, white-coat hypertension needs to be treated.

I would discuss your blood pressure again with your doc. Hypertension can be in the genetic makeup, despite good health habits.

Also, take you BP daily and record it.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have similar resting BP & HR - even after coffee.
    Although I don't considered myself a well trained athlete, I still have a little weight to loose and I am not super fast on a bike. I have had fairly low BP&HR all my life. I would not worry about it unless as was stated you start passing out. What I experience and I am not sure if this is normal is a high max HR. It seems mine is around 195. I have asked a Doc about this and he said not to worry but I still do. If max HR = 220-age, does age=220-max HR - if thats the case I am really only 25!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    .If max HR = 220-age, does age=220-max HR - if thats the case I am really only 25!
    Try Equation # 2. My measured (4 times) max HR is 173. # 2 gives 171.

Al

Simple Formulaic Estimation of the MHR Based on Age:
    In general, this method will provide reasonable accuracy for about 80% of runners, but it should almost invariably be supplemented with an actual test. Typically, one of three simple formulas is used to estimate one's maximum heart rate.

Formula #1: The first formula involves simply subtracting your age from the number 220 (for men) or from 226 (for women). This method is preferred for beginning runners, those who have been leading a sedentary lifestyle. MarathonGuide.com Simple Heart Zones Calculator

Formula #2: The second formula is very similar, but is preferable for those who are already quite active. For this formula, simply subtract half of your age from the number 205.

Formula #3: The third formula runs along the same vein as the two preceding it. For men, subtract 80% of your age from the number 214. For women, subtract 70% of your age from the number 209.

All of these formulas provide approximations that are based on the standard curves representing the "normal" MHR's for any given age, and they get you close to your own MHR, but not close enough. The numbers you will get when you plug in your own age would best be used as a guide, as opposed to an accurate measure.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
    Try Equation # 2. My measured (4 times) max HR is 173. # 2 gives 171.

Al
    Thanks Al - makes me feel better but still comes up a little low for me.

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by spoke50 View Post
    I can't figure for the life of me why my BP is so high sometimes (160/70). I usually get this reading during a doctor visit where I just left work. .
    Any single BP reading is meaningless. And, if the only high BP readings are at your doctor's office, then those likely don't mean much. Get a BP machine (sphygmomanometer!) of some sort and check your pressure yourself at various times on a regular basis. Take those readings with you when you visit your doctor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the 220-age thing AGAIN!!

Grrrrrr!

I'll have to locate that article again, but, in general 220-age is only a starting point, and not a very good one at that.

There are much better measures - i.e. aerobic capacity (VO2 max).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Thanks Al - makes me feel better but still comes up a little low for me.
    Nothing beats actually measuring it. Max h.r. is a very individual thing. However, it is a funtion of one's fitness as well which throws in another variable that can't be handled by an equation.

Al

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mandovoodoo View Post
    This is what happens from listening to smart doctors. Job=stress, get rid of it. Eat fruit, avoid bad foods. Exercise lots.
    Eat right, exercise lots, die anyway.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alcanoe View Post
    Nothing beats actually measuring it. Max h.r. is a very individual thing. However, it is a funtion of one's fitness as well which throws in another variable that can't be handled by an equation.

Al
    In thinking about this I prefer the equation age=220 - max HR - I'll stay 25!

My Bikes
    Terraferma 650b, Mondonico SL and ELOS, Masi Gran Criterium, Trek 610, Breezer Liberty, Georgena Terry Classic
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I had a job once working with Russian physicists, right after the Cold War ended. They used to joke, "Americans will all die healthy."

Road Fan

The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cholesterol 146

BP 100/60

Pulse morning 40 as I get the day going it gets up to 50. I ride at 115-140 with a 10 minute recovery to 60.

Doc said it was normal if you train hard.
    Burr,
    I Push Iron & Turn Cranks!
    Yoga, Pilates & Orchids
    I Stay Busy, I have GOPD

My Bikes
    trek
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    I swear this just happened just yesturday - My wife's parents are living with us right now, because her mother has brian cancer and her father can't care for her. Her dad thinks I'm crazy when I suit up and head out on the bike in the 100 degree heat. He is 78 and spends his whole day sitting in my chair watching TV (something I hope I never do). While on my ride in the State park yesturday, I ran into an old nieghbor riding a hybrid. He told me he was going to do 20 miles and had another 5 miles to go. He also told me that he would be celebrating his 78th birthday on Friday. This guy might die next week, but I would much rather be in his shoes when I reach that age.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    Any single BP reading is meaningless. And, if the only high BP readings are at your doctor's office, then those likely don't mean much. Get a BP machine (sphygmomanometer!) of some sort and check your pressure yourself at various times on a regular basis. Take those readings with you when you visit your doctor.
    Dream on....
    "It could be anything. Scrap booking, high-stakes poker, or the Santa Fe lifestyle. Just pick a dead-end and chill out 'till you die."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    I've been using a doctor recommended Sunbeam self-pumper for years -like over a decade- and I bring it in with me from time to time just to prove to the doc that it reads the same as his manual job. He blesses it and I'm on my way. I check it every couple of days, sometimes more than once in a day. I'll do some at the same time to sort of establish a baseline and I'll also check it at random times. Granted sitting on the couch at home isn't the real world (like at work) but it's always, always much lower than at the doctor's.
    Except for my cardiologist... it reads normal for him, too. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Terex (in reference to the above) View Post
    Dream on....
    Not quite sure what this means.
    I mean, if you don't want to, by all means don't but it's till good advice.
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)