Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learning to Track Stand 50+

Any of you learn to do a track stand after you turned 50?

The instructions on this site make it sound attainable, and I tried some of the exercises on a grassy field today. Not easy. Gonna take some time and a few falls.

I figure it would be good to know because it *cough* looks cool *cough* would be good low speed riding balance practice.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I practice from time to time, but only on my daughter's bike as it has platforms. If you're gutsy you're supposed to practice clipped in, and then learning to fall by keeping both hands on the handlebar so the bike takes the brunt of fall. I guess it sounds fine in theory, but I'm not dumb enough, er I mean brave enough to try it.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been practicing mine for about a year and I am only good for a few seconds, but now thanks to that article I am going to be impressing people at lights very soon, maybe. I always unclip my chocolate foot, but my goal is to stay clipped in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useless stupid human trick as far as I'm concerned. I can't see risking a broken clavicle to impress anyone with a track stand. YMMV but I've never felt like I was disadvantaged having to put a foot down. Getting the ability to consistently clip in without having to look down is far more valuable IMO.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I do that all the time when the bike is in the trainer
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried and made it maybe 15 seconds at the most. Clipped in helps. Just be ready to give up quick when you need to. I am a long long long way from ever doing it at a light.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Cilo 12 speed road bike w/shimano 105 and tange #1 double butted frame,fork and stays...Schwinn criss cross, modified to climb off road..currently treaded for the katy trail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to do it at any stop with enough crown in the road. Now I am practicing it as I return to cycling after a 15 year layoff. It used to be a piece of cake...not anymore. I think my extra pounds may be putting the fear of a fall in my mind somewhere. It will come. Practice makes perfect. It was as routine as breathing back then. I'm sure you can do it.

God bless!

-Ron

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeWNC View Post
    Useless stupid human trick as far as I'm concerned. ...
    I trackstand almost every stop sign and many red lights, and it makes for a safe, smooth, efficient launch. I do sometimes cheat by creeping forward, but if a klutz like me can do it, anybody can.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Useless stupid human trick as far as I'm concerned. I can't see risking a broken clavicle to impress anyone with a track stand. YMMV but I've never felt like I was disadvantaged having to put a foot down. Getting the ability to consistently clip in without having to look down is far more valuable IMO.
    Not true if you trail-ride. It's a rght nice thing to be able to do.

For roadies it seems a bit gratuitous.

My Bikes
    Cilo 12 speed road bike w/shimano 105 and tange #1 double butted frame,fork and stays...Schwinn criss cross, modified to climb off road..currently treaded for the katy trail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHen I lived in Rochester new york, it was very handy on the city route I rode to get to my country ride. Lots of traffic lights and lots of traffic. Every little bit helps.

God bless!

-Ron

I need more cowbell. Digital Gee's Avatar
    My Bikes
    2012 Masi Evoluzione, 2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere that track standing is harder on white bikes.
    Visit my blog! The Leadership Almanac
    2012 Masi Evoluzione
    2009 Specialized Globe Vienna 2

Proud member of the original Club Tombay

My Bikes
    1984 Trek 520; 1990s Peugeot (Canadian-made) rigid mountain bike; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I learned around age 50, or maybe late 40s. In the playground nearby, they had added a wheelchair ramp to a large kids' play structure, so I placed myself on that so I could practice trackstands with rails on both sides of me for convenience. While my youngest kid played I rocked the bike back and forth while lightly holding those rails.

The idea is you have your wheel slightly turned to one side, so as you move the bike subtly forward and back, it also moves from side to side to help you stay balanced.

It's harder to learn stuff when you are over 14 and your brain is not as plastic as it was then. I can only track stand now under the following conditions: The road slopes upwards a bit, my left foot is forwards, and the wheel is angled to the left. In that situation I seem to be able to propel the bike a little bit forward and left, then let it roll back and the front wheel moves a bit to the right, and stay balanced that way. I cannot balance with the wheel pointed right or my right foot forward. I can do it on my road bike but not my mountain bike. I can't do it on flat land by using the brakes to stop the bike and rock it backwards as some people do - I need to ride up a slope and roll back by gravity.

My Bikes
    Lemond Zurick, BF Pocket Crusoe, Trek 2120, Iron Horse Maverick
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Vancouver a few weeks ago. I was waiting for a bus and watched a bicycle commuter riding between cars at rush hour on a fix geared bike. His cell phone rang and he picked it up with one hand while standing. He then came to a red light where he executed a one-handed, track stand while talking on the cell phone with the other hand. I was impressed.

My Bikes
    2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always wanted to and now that I've read that article, and since I have some time, I think I'll try, in spite of the fake hip!

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can about come to a complete stop for an instant but can't get the dadburned recombinant bike to trackstand. Gonna keep trying.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooker View Post
    It's harder to learn stuff when you are over 14 and your brain is not as plastic as it was then.
    A lot of the time it feels like my brain is plastic,or rubber, or some other synthetic material. I guess I'm just on the bounce.

Witzelsucht alert.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not at all. It can save broken bones while climbing a very steep trail and stalling out. You can maintain your balance and get your feet down and keep from falling back down the hill. That's a major cause of bone breaks in places like Moab with the slickrock.

I practice once in a while, but I'm not there. I've made some platforms out of wood to snap into my pedals so I can practice with out being clipped in. I can maintain balance at less than half a mph which helps some times on the really steep climbs where a root or rock will slow you very suddenly if you don't unweight just right.

Al

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of skills come when you have to use them. After 15 years of Mountain biking a lot of skills that you don't realise you knew- come into practice. Hammering down a trail and a Tiny pooch appears. Too late to brake and you hope it doesn't run in front you. It does so you suddenly know how to bunny hop.A turn comes on the trail that is too sharp to get round and you do a stoppie and find the rear wheel lifted and round she goes. Going down a steep rooty drop and you realise it's an Oh-Oh moment and you find yourself trackstanding while you look for the least painfull route to fall on.

Onto the road bike and traffic lights that you approach slowly waiting for them to change----and they don't. you know that if you take the foot off the pedal and stop- the lights will change so instant trackstand.

Now I missed out completely on the BMX and that is where I think our generation are missing out. Those BMX bikes teach you a lot of skills. They are built for tricks but I missed out on them. Certain skills still allude me. I can't wheelie- I can't hop sideways up kerbs and I most certainly can't annoy the ***** of a neighbour that I want to by pulling tricks on 700C wheels.

So I reckon we all have to buy new bikes. Tricked out BMXers with the baggies to go with it and the Dome helmets. Never know- I might be able to start annoying that neighbour.

Now onto the sideways bunny hop. The rider is Martin Ashton. (Britains Hans Rey). Ex worlds trials champion- British and European height record holder and on top of that he has (Wheres the Drum roll emoticon?)--He has a Blue Peter Badge and this is the mostly prized award a 12 year old could ever attain. Only expect UK readers to understand this. That bar is 1.1 metres high. And I wasted a decent ride especially to stop and meet him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a guy do a TS the other day during a group ride. It was both impressive and scary at the same time. It was so jerky looking that he may as well have been under a strobe light. But he made it through a red light without falling. Kudos for that.

Not sure I wanna do that on a CF bike though. At least, not learn to TS on one.

My Bikes
    custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I trackstand almost every stop sign and many red lights, and it makes for a safe, smooth, efficient launch. I do sometimes cheat by creeping forward, but if a klutz like me can do it, anybody can.
    Biggest problem with doing it at stop signs is that motorists then tend to get all antsy about whether you are stopped or not, and what should they do... resulting in the odd "after you Alphonse" situations.

I still track stand when there is no one around, (as my stops are in nano seconds, then). But if I come to a stop sign with other traffic on the cross street, I put my foot down, just to be clear.

Stoplights are a different matter... trackstanding through an entire red light is good practice.

My Bikes
    I've got a bunch...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh! Thanks for the link! I'm just learning to ride fixed at 55...

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hammering down a trail and a Tiny pooch appears.
    Or a bunny.
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JanMM View Post
    I can about come to a complete stop for an instant but can't get the dadburned recombinant bike to trackstand. Gonna keep trying.
    Keep working on it....I've almost got the knack on my EZ Sport LWB. With the Trek
    820, on a good day I can impress the motorists.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
    Or a bunny.
    I got hit by a bunny recently. As I passed a bush, this brown furry thing went from left to right, passing between the two wheels hitting me on the right ankle. Startled the fool out of me and the bunny. I don't think the rear wheel rolled over him.

I'm used to running over rattle snakes when going to fast to avoid them, but not bunnies.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I grow up I'm going to learn to trackstand... I ride a fixie, so I have no excuses, as it is supposed to be much easier, but I haven't taken the time to learn...

train safe-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast