User Tag List

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

50+ bike rebuilding

I started the bike rebuild today on the Simoncini. I friend loaned me his tool kit of bike specific tools. The Simoncini has early campy veloce 9 speed. My goal for today was to see if I could get the bottom bracket out. His crankpuller got my cranks off fine but he did not have the veloce specific bottom bracket wrench - so I ordered this along with a bike stand from Nashbar, with this and the rest of his tools I should get the BB out. When I had the chain rings out where I could really look at them I could tell they had a lot of wear. My friends tool kit is mostly Shimano specific (Looks like a stock spin doctor assortment) but I have another friend who has a lot of campy record/chorus specific tools - I am planning on going with Chorus on this bike so I will be borrowing a few tools from him - the Veloce BB tool will most likely be a one time use but it is only $7 and I am getting off easy because people are loaning me other stuff. I would like to ride this bike in a century in early Sept so the rebuild may be tight time wise.

Any advise along the way would be helpful.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to rebuild the Tandem every year and it was complete strip down to the frame. It does help if you know the bike but best advise I can give you is to make certain you have a New Tub of grease available. Every time I went to the grease tub- it was full of grit from where I had not put the cap on well from last time I used it.

And It will be built up by September- That is a full month away. What may delay you is getting all the adjustments right after the new parts have worn themselves in- and you haven't tightened the Water bottle cages on tight enough.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't ordered the new group yet - I have another friend who can get that for me at cost but I want to make sure I can get the BB out first. It is a sealed unit and it has never been out of the bike since it was build up 12 or 13 years ago.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'll have a lot of fun with the rebuild. If you run into more situations where you need a specific tool that you may never need again, see if you can borrow a tool from your LBS. They will probably do it if they know you. If not, maybe let them do that part of the job.

However that works out, you'll be hooked once you build up your bike. This won't be your last build. Far from it.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.