Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Weird aches, pains, numb feet....ooohhh

Folks;
    Just joined the 50+ crowd; bought a Bianchi road bike (approximately 58 ~ 60cm; I'm 5'10" ...265 pounds and I have one leg that it about 1/2 inch shorter than the other....had shoulder surgery last year...recovering nicely from that....)

OK, I've been riding for about two months...nothing too ambitous...max of about 30 miles...anyway, just developed a really nice version of Sciatica (pardon the spelling) and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.

The bike feels very nice and rides beautifully.

thanks much-Joe

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Look-You have a BIANCHI and hopefully in Celeste colour.

Bianchi riders do not have problems.

Can't help on the Aches and pains but feel certain that someone will be able to help.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ran into a numbness/aches on the bottom of my feet above the cleats years ago. It turned out that my cycling shoes were a bit narrow in the forefoot area. I switched shoes and don't fasten the Velcro toe strap tightly. The Specialized mountain bike shoes seem wider in the toe area. I use them for road as well.

Al

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stepfam.....thanks for reminding about the Bianchi "code". Oddly enough, the doc I spoke to recommended that I do some more bike riding so, I guess I don't have any excuses.

Thanks Much!!!

Later-Joe (In Minneapolis)

Between Lecanto and Hernando Florida, 6 miles due west of the Withlacoochee Trail
    My Bikes
    I've had several since 1999 but have settled on my beloved 2001 Litespeed Tuscany and my latest, a 2013 Cannondale CAAD 10.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joer View Post
    bought a Bianchi road bike (approximately 58 ~ 60cm; I'm 5'10"

OK, I've been riding for about two months...nothing too ambitous...max of about 30 miles...anyway, just developed a really nice version of Sciatica (pardon the spelling) and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.
    58-60 cm and you're 5'-10"???
    I'm 6'-0" and my bikes are 56/57 cm. Unless you have really long legs are you sure fit isn't part of the problem?
    My bikes --> 2001 Litespeed Tuscany---2013 Cannondale CAAD 10 2 (5) "Racing Edition"

Life is like a 10-speed bicycle. Most of us have gears we never use. ~ Charles Schultz

My Bikes
    Cilo 12 speed road bike w/shimano 105 and tange #1 double butted frame,fork and stays...Schwinn criss cross, modified to climb off road..currently treaded for the katy trail.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you should look into a custom orthotic or shoe for the short leg if you can't find a position that works. 1/2 inch is more than the 3/16 I deal with for walking and the lift I wear made a difference within a few hundred feet of walking. If you can find a seat height that doesn't cause rocking or knee pain in the other leg, just ride more. I only use the lift for walking. 3/16 doesn't seem to matter on my bike.

God bless!

-Ron

My Bikes
    ariZona carbon fiber tandem & single
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are not using orthotics, you could install a shorter crankarm for the short leg.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RonH View Post
    58-60 cm and you're 5'-10"???
    I'm 6'-0" and my bikes are 56/57 cm. Unless you have really long legs are you sure fit isn't part of the problem?
    +1 It might all be a matter of bike fit.

train safe-

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought about the "fit" issue also. Other than this little problem, the bike feels very comfortable to me and I don't feel like it's a burden to ride (although, that being said, I have also thought about looking for a smaller used frame/fork combo and take all of the components off this bike....if I do this, you guys might see the frame I have on Ebay. I'll keep you posted). I've also thought about getting a shorted crank arm for the left side (the ones on the bike right now are 170mm...does anyone have any idea about which size I should be looking for??)

Thanks Again.....Joe "slowly recovering" in Minneapolis........

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo View Post
    I think you should look into a custom orthotic or shoe for the short leg if you can't find a position that works. 1/2 inch is more than the 3/16 I deal with for walking and the lift I wear made a difference within a few hundred feet of walking. If you can find a seat height that doesn't cause rocking or knee pain in the other leg, just ride more. I only use the lift for walking. 3/16 doesn't seem to matter on my bike.

God bless!

-Ron

What said above plus a bike fitting by a quaified shop is in order to reduce you problems and increase your riding pleasure.

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zonatandem View Post
    If you are not using orthotics, you could install a shorter crankarm for the short leg.
    Or install a shim between the shoe and the cleat of the shorter leg. Years ago I met an old bike and ski racer who had survived several leg and ankle fractures, who had hand-fabricated all manner of shims under his cleats.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joer View Post
    Folks;
    Just joined the 50+ crowd; bought a Bianchi road bike (approximately 58 ~ 60cm; I'm 5'10" ...265 pounds and I have one leg that it about 1/2 inch shorter than the other....had shoulder surgery last year...recovering nicely from that....)

The bike feels very nice and rides beautifully.

thanks much-Joe
    Howdy and welcome. I've got just the opposite physical ailment, one of my legs is
    longer than the other. Oh well, none of is is perfect. Sonds like a nice bike and you're
    off to a great start. Hope the sciatica clears up for you.

Happy trails