Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New bike considerations

I had a little altercation with an oncoming car turning left in front of me last week and will have to replace my beloved 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 with full Ultegra components. The current near equivalent is the Madone 5.2, so I'm anticipating the possibility of an insurance settlement check somewhere around $3500 or so.

My LBS is great and I'd love to buy something from them, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that Madone. I'm disappointed to see the component level drop each year while the price increases. Not particularly excited about the black and white paint on it either. But I might could be happy with it in a triple version.

For that kind of $$, what other good options are contenders? The kicker will be if the bike is in stock because I do not want to be without a ride for an extended time.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you ridden the newest version of the Madone? I haven't, but everyone I know who has ridden both the older model and the new one, likes the new one better.

As to the component level dropping, that is occurring across all bikes & all lines. The dollar exchange rate is driving up the cost of component sets.

You might get a good price on an '08 soon, as the '09's are about to start arriving at shops. Two of my LBS's just started closeout sales on '08 models.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Have you ridden the newest version of the Madone? I haven't, but everyone I know who has ridden both the older model and the new one, likes the new one better.

As to the component level dropping, that is occurring across all bikes & all lines. The dollar exchange rate is driving up the cost of component sets.

You might get a good price on an '08 soon, as the '09's are about to start arriving at shops. Two of my LBS's just started closeout sales on '08 models.
    I did a small test ride around the parking lot... which leaves a lot to be desired. But I've never ridden an older Madone so I have no basis for comparison.

Regarding those sales, I haven't noticed that in my area yet. Then again, you are pretty close to Trek Central. OOC, which bike shops are having those sales? The factory stores?

My Bikes
    2010 Cannodale Hi Mod Synaspe, 2010 Sram Force, Mavic Kysirum SL Premium, Brooks Swallow 2011 Giant TCR Advanced SL Black Mavic SL Premiums, Full Sram Force, Fizik Aliante Carbon 15.33 lbs of pure adrenalin
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider this. For instance look at the CF frames offered on Pedal Force. I like the RS. Build it up yourself with the gruppo of your choice and save lots of dough. There are other vendors for CF frames as well.

Lots of information on the RS frame in the road forum. It was offered as a group buy last year ---- hate I missed it. Just my .02

Hate you lost your Pilot ------ glad there was no injury. Lp

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out the Tarmac Expert - I bought one on a closeout late last Sept - the components are all Ultegra (except the RD is DuraAce & Crank is FSA) and this year they went to Fulcrum wheels. The shops here were selling them for about $1K off list last year. The Tarmac is a great ride - each time I go out on it I am likeing it more and more. You may need to wait a month before the really good deals hit. If you could borrow or rent a ride until then it might save you a lot of $$ no matter what you choose.
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
    My LBS is great and I'd love to buy something from them, but I'm not sure I'm sold on that Madone. I'm disappointed to see the component level drop each year while the price increases. Not particularly excited about the black and white paint on it either. But I might could be happy with it in a triple version.

For that kind of $$, what other good options are contenders? The kicker will be if the bike is in stock because I do not want to be without a ride for an extended time.
    Sounds as if you know the quality you want and the Madone should be near it. 09 bikes are appearing so a price reduction should be on the cards and Have to agree about the colour- Black is OK but that white takes too much cleaning and slows the bike down. On the component side- Don't worry too much The heart of a bike is the frame with a close 2nd being the wheels. Frame you will be stuck with but if the wheels are not to your grade- then arrange an upgrade. And on the rest of the components- They wear out so ride them till they need replacing and upgrade then

I have a good relationship with my LBS and I know that If I want changes on a bike- I will get them. They will always modify the spec to suit me and I rarely get charged for Parts or labour. But before you decide that the Black & white Bike is not for you- get a good test ride on it. You don't see the colour when you are riding it

Edit-As to alternatives-Look at the Giant TCR-C and the OCR-C. Three new bikes this year on the forum and each of us fully satisfied with them

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/
    Last edited by stapfam; 08-03-08 at 02:48 PM.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinz@50 View Post
    Consider this. For instance look at the CF frames offered on Pedal Force. I like the RS. Build it up yourself with the gruppo of your choice and save lots of dough. There are other vendors for CF frames as well.

Lots of information on the RS frame in the road forum. It was offered as a group buy last year ---- hate I missed it. Just my .02

Hate you lost your Pilot ------ glad there was no injury. Lp
    Yeah... me too. That Pilot was sweet. Injuries seem to be minor... still get some aches and pains that show up.

Have to say that I had to Google Pedal Force. I'll look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclinfool View Post
    Check out the Tarmac Expert - I bought one on a closeout late last Sept - the components are all Ultegra (except the RD is DuraAce & Crank is FSA) and this year they went to Fulcrum wheels. The shops here were selling them for about $1K off list last year. The Tarmac is a great ride - each time I go out on it I am likeing it more and more. You may need to wait a month before the really good deals hit. If you could borrow or rent a ride until then it might save you a lot of $$ no matter what you choose.
    I do have a local Giant/Specialized/Orbea dealer. Will have to pay them a visit. In many ways, this is a tough time of year to shop. Last time I shopped this time of year I had a problem finding actual product in stock to check out.

Quote Originally Posted by stapfam View Post
    Sounds as if you know the quality you want and the Madone should be near it. 09 bikes are appearing so a price reduction should be on the cards and Have to agree about the colour- Black is OK but that white takes too much cleaning and slows the bike down. On the component side- Don't worry too much The heart of a bike is the frame with a close 2nd being the wheels. Frame you will be stuck with but if the wheels are not to your grade- then arrange an upgrade. And on the rest of the components- They wear out so ride them till they need replacing and upgrade then

I have a good relationship with my LBS and I know that If I want changes on a bike- I will get them. They will always modify the spec to suit me and I rarely get charged for Parts or labour. But before you decide that the Black & white Bike is not for you- get a good test ride on it. You don't see the colour when you are riding it

Edit-As to alternatives-Look at the Giant TCR-C and the OCR-C. Three new bikes this year on the forum and each of us fully satisfied with them

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/
    I've seem some of those OCRs and they look pretty nice.

The problem is that I like to take my time when I'm purchasing something like this. But I don't want to be without a ride in the heart of the riding season either, so I don't want to take the time I would ordinarily spend in the research process. Argh!