Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Compact Crank Cassette Recommendation

I am curently riding my Litespeed Tuscany set up with a compact crank and a 11-23 cassette. I ride around the central Indiana area where the terrain is somwhat flat with a few hills. In about a month I will be riding the Old Kentucky Home Tour out of Louisville. The ride has a lot of hilly stretches and I am looking at installing a larger cassette. Any recommendations as to the cassete size would be welcome.

My Bikes
    06 Co-Motion Tandem, Fuji Team Pro mine,-Hers, Specialized Dolce
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Assuming your crankset is along the typical lines of 50-34/36, I would consider either the 12-25 or 12-27 depending on your ability to climb and the steepness of what you will be climbing. I road for about a year on an 11-23 and while I was able to climb it was more of a workout and involved more "standing and mashing" than I wanted. Went to a 12-27 and I can climb the steeper stuff a little faster and more efficiently. Just sayin.
    Two blondes walked into a building-You think one of them would have seen it.
    2006 Co-Motion Roadster 2006 Fuji Team Pro, 2005 Specialized Dolce Comp, 2008 Orbea Diva (Red Riders Baby-"The Avocado")
    Custom Simonetti (thanks Steve)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd go with the 12 - 27. I think it's better to have the extra, rather than needing the extra and not having it.
    Oh I used to be disgusted and now I try to be amused. But since their wings have got rusted, you know, the angels wanna wear my red shoes. But when they told me 'bout their side of the bargain, that's when I knew that I could not refuse. And I won't get any older, now the angels wanna wear my red shoes.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I put a Sheldon Brown (R.I.P.) special 12-30 on my recently built TCR with a 50/36 compact crank. The percent change gets larger as you shift to through the larger cogs but remains close through the higher gears. I am happy with it so far. You can find the cassette here. http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails...gId=39&id=2369
    Moderation can be taken to an extreme.

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in an area with hills and Lots of short sharp 10%+ for about 1 mile.I have a 50/34 and a 10spd 12/27. I find that just about sufficient and no problems. We even have a 16% for about 3/4 mile and although HR is way up the top by the end of it- and Cadence is pretty slow- even that is manageable.

But if you are Normally riding on flat stuff- no matter what gearing you have- hills will be hard so get some practice in before the trip. They say a 20mph headwind is good practice- so pray for a few windy days.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    go 12x27 the difference between that and the 12x25 is the biggest 3 cogs, on one it is 21,23,25 and on the other it is 21,24,27. The other cogs are the same, so go with the one that gives you a little bigger spread.

train safe-

My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buelito View Post
    go 12x27 the difference between that and the 12x25 is the biggest 3 cogs, on one it is 21,23,25 and on the other it is 21,24,27. The other cogs are the same, so go with the one that gives you a little bigger spread. ...
    If I need to compromise between tight gearing and total range, I, too, favor spreading out the lower gears while maintaining tightly-spaced mid-range and higher gears.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    12-25

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106 View Post
    12-25
    +1
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    Too Many
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i assume that you have a 10 speed cassette. i suggest looking at the SRAM 11/26 and the 11/28.

My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently set up a Schwinn Premise with a compact 34/50 and a 12-28 cassette. You might have a little trouble with that 28 on a standard road derailleur. Since this was a new build I used an LX medium cage, top normal mountain bike rear derailleur to handle the larger cog in the back have enough chain wrap. I don't even look at "road" derailleurs or cassettes for my projects. The Shimano LX and XT can handle the bigger cogs I want for the hills. If you decide to use a "mountain" derailleur make sure it is "top normal."

Sure, Big Tom Boonen rides a 53-11, but let's see what he rides when he's 50 and weighs 225 lbs.
    Last edited by reverborama; 08-04-08 at 02:57 PM.

Erect member since 1953 cccorlew's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Fantom Outlaw turned commuter, Cannondale F500 Mtn bike, Some old French thing gone fixie
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't want the larger leaps, but did want lower gears, so I replaced my 11-23 with a 13-25. But I have huge hills (mountains) here and wanted an even lower gear. Went 12-27 and I found, to my surprise, I didn't miss the in between "missing" gears a bit.

I vote low.
    WANTED: Not a darn thing. I've got it all. Life is good.
    Website at curtis.corlew.com Bicycle blog at ccorlew.blogspot.com

The Improbable Bulk Little Darwin's Avatar
    My Bikes
    Many
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What I got for my area in NE Pennsylvania is the SRAM 11-28.

The wider the gear range the better.

There are enough gears in a 10 speed cassette to ensure no excessive gaps in the 11-28 for me.

Of course, with it, and the 50/34 crank I needed at least a medium cage RD according the the LBS, I believe for the chain wrap.
    Slow Ride Cyclists of NEPA

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cccorlew View Post
    I didn't want the larger leaps, but did want lower gears, so I replaced my 11-23 with a 13-25. But I have huge hills (mountains) here and wanted an even lower gear. Went 12-27 and I found, to my surprise, I didn't miss the in between "missing" gears a bit.

I vote low.
    Have to admit that I ride 12/27- but I do get annoyed at the spacing on the top 3 gears occasionally. The difference between them is just a bit too big- But if I am going uphill- and change down- I do need that lower gear.

However- I do have a 12/25 set up on a set of wheels and If I know it is going to be a flat ride- I use this cassette. PerfectRatios- right through the cassette. Only problem -as I have found out- The ride may be flat but the headwinds can be strong. Surprising how many times I could just do with a lower gear when I use the 25.

Now if you are talking about mountains- or plenty of steep hills- Then go 9 speed. With a compact on the front of 50/34 and a mountain bike cassette of 12/34- you have gearing that will get you up anything. Just a pity about the expense of an MTB rear derailler.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan