Thread: $40 Duathlon

My Bikes
    1997 Specialized M2Pro
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$40 Duathlon

I was thinking of doing a duathlon in a few weeks (it would have been a triathlon, but the pool is closed). 3 mile run, 12 ride, 3 run. The problem is that I'm a hard-core frugalista, and my frugal side has a hard time paying $40 for something that I can do for free. I'm not going to win any medals. I'd get a T-shirt, but I'd rather spend the money on a floor pump, for example.

Thoughts?
    My Book: Drive, Ride, Repeat: The Mostly-True Account of a Cross-Country Car and Bicycle Adventure

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm doing that here sponsored by our local rec dept and Silver Sneakers.

3 mile run/walk, 12 mile bike ride, 1/2 mile swim, limited to 60+, and you can spread it out over a week if so desired.

I did the run/walk early this am, will do the bicycling tomorrow, and part of the swimming today, also.

Cost - nothing, except my annual membership. Here it is sponsored by "Silver Sneakers" - a medicare benefit of several medicare supplement health plans (but not mine), and it costs those folks nothing extra for either the annual membership or the modified tri.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-03-08 at 01:58 PM.
    DnvrFox - still bicycling, swimming, walking and weight lifting at 74yo is participating a bit in BFN 50+.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My thoughts:

1. I love charity rides that post their ride routes on the web. I get lots of good ride ideas that way.

2. I generally think the ride fees for an organized ride are reasonable. I have done 6 or 7 this year, at $30 to $40 a pop. A little of the money goes to a good cause. A little of the money goes to buy me snacks at the rest stops; just a more convenient way of delivering food I'd likely eat anyway. In some cases there is a lunch as well. The final benefit is that...I like supporting good, organized rides that put a bunch of riders out on the road in an organized way. I think it's a more useful way of asserting our rights to the roads than (say) Critical Mass.

My Bikes
    Raleigh Sport road Haro Mountain bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did a local duathlon a couple of weeks ago. It was worth the entry fee to meet several local riders I had never met before, and the experience of a competitive event which I don't often do (placed third in age group by the way)
    Moderation can be taken to an extreme.

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. If the race was well-organized and well-supported and if the organization running it were a good one, I'd pay the money. $40 is less than a tank of gas these days.