Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help replacing road bike

Until very recently, I rode a Specialized Sequoia (Elite) and have been very happy with it. I loaned it to my daughter who lives in another state and now she is very happy with it! I'm glad to pass it on but now I need to replace it. I want to find something quickly so as not to lose the rest of the summer. I visited our LBS and the salesperson was very knowledgeable (it's the store known for spending time for a good fit) but I came away with my head spinning.

A typical ride is 25 - 40 miles on country hilly roads, although I have done some "big" rides. I'm OK with a less "comfort" frame than the Sequoia. I'm hoping to spend about $1200. I am used to a men's frame so don't necessarily need a woman's bike. My current bike is a 52 cm.

any suggestions of what bikes I should consider or what other factors are important?

Many thanks, Helen

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hooo boy. You have opened up a can of worms here.

Ride a lot of bikes. Since you seem to trust the LBS, let them help.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year my freind bought his wife a trek 1000 - she really likes it
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Specialized Allez Elite lists for $1200. But I would hold out for the '09 version. Better frame and component spec. I'm sure the price will reflect that, though.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Specialized Allez Elite lists for $1200. But I would hold out for the '09 version. Better frame and component spec. I'm sure the price will reflect that, though.
    I was at the bike shop last weekend and on a club ride and heard the same news, Bike price increases for 2009 will be staggering! Some carbon fiber frame models may go up over 30%. A minimum increase of 10% is expected. But, I think BluesDawg is correct, I'd spend as much as my budget would allow for the best deal on the highest end bike that I liked. But I'd buy it now.
    Edit: Actually, I just did that! (New, leftover Giant OCR-C3, $1500).
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

My Bikes
    91 Specialized Sirrus, 96 Gary Fischer, 08 Specialized Roubaix Elite, 2010 Specialized Tricross Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to ask, why not get another Sequoia Elite? I love mine!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you all for your suggestions.

Only one LBS carries Specialized and they are completely out of Sequoias, including at the other branch stores. That's a good idea, though, to pursue this and I will ask again about special orders. I do know I have to pay up front nonrefundable but at least I've already ridden this bike. I've since learned that inventories are very low in the entire area.

Again, thank you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roccobike View Post
    I was at the bike shop last weekend and on a club ride and heard the same news, Bike price increases for 2009 will be staggering! Some carbon fiber frame models may go up over 30%. A minimum increase of 10% is expected. But, I think BluesDawg is correct, I'd spend as much as my budget would allow for the best deal on the highest end bike that I liked. But I'd buy it now.
    Edit: Actually, I just did that! (New, leftover Giant OCR-C3, $1500).
    +1 Specialized announced a 35% across the board price increase! If you can swing it now do it now. The other thing is the bike companies have change their "model year" change over to Aug. so there will be fewer last year model discounts.