Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Thread: Haute Cuisine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haute Cuisine

I'm always interested to see photos of the rides by our 50+ crew and also to hear about the great food consumed at the stops.

Not to be outdone, the Ozark Roadies had a great ride and food stop on Saturday. We started from Elkins, AR and rode south southwest toward Winslow, AR on some beautiful and sometimes hilly back roads.

For about the first ten miles, I was reminded of recent comments by Terrierman about the humidity. My glasses were a bit foggy for the first 10 miles, give or take a little. I am reminded of the thread by maddmaxx, because we rode over a few miles of chip seal. Fortunately, there wasn't much loose gravel. Foggy glasses and chip seal notwithstanding, the "Black Oak" ride is a great one. There is little traffic, the scenery and the lack of the urban din are outstanding, and the conversations amongst the Roadies always make for a great ride.

We took a break at Whitehouse Cemetery, which I think I've posted before.

Left to right: Lou, Ted's trike, Don, Ted (back to camera with bandanna), Arkansasgal, Mike (white jersey, back to camera), and Tom. Tom was on his real bike instead of that black slingshot recumbent.

I didn't realize that Whitehouse Cemetery was as old as it was.

It's a good stop because it has shade, a fence for leaning bikes, and a rock wall for tired derrières as needed.

After a break at the cemetery, the real treat was only a few miles ahead... food! We were all looking forward to the epicurean delight down the road in Winslow! Knowing what was ahead, the two climbs we were facing didn't seem so bad after all.

Finally, we made it to U.S. 71 and turned left. Only four miles to go!

WE MADE IT!

Yessiree. We stopped and feasted. And you people thought you had some fine beaneries on your routes!

Fortified by this fantastic fare, we pedaled a couple more miles to downtown Winslow before heading back to the barn.

Left to right are Arkansasgal, Lou, Tom, and Don. Tom seems to be particularly happy. I'm not sure if he had the brisket or the worms.

We rode 47 miles on Saturday. Even with a 3-digit heat index, we all did pretty well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another nice ride, doctor j.

Nothin' like a heapin' plate o' worms to get the ol' cyclin' muscles loosened up.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It looks like a fun group of riders. Smiles all around.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My step-father once ran a small country store in West Virginia. He had a sign out front that said "Cold Beer & Worms." A Charleston, WV newspaper once ran a picture of it.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mmmmm.

Any meal that is both (a) high on protein and (b) can be used as bait is always good eatin'.

My Bikes
    Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A good case of worms - just what you need to augment any weight loss program!
    "Of all the things I ever lost I miss my mind the most." Mark Twain
    If all you have is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You crack me up.
    It's all downhill from here. Except the parts that are uphill.

My Bikes
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon 5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did I get so lucky -- riding with six nice guys and worms, too. Since worms are approximately 60% protein, I think I'll start carrying a few on our rides to supplement my GU. Got some good-looking ones in my flower beds. Great pics John. Thanks.

Arkansasgal

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice but I thought this thread was gonna be about how "hot" it was.