User Tag List

My Bikes
    Douglas Matrix, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copper Triangle Ride Report

Hi all, just wanted to give a quick ride report of the Copper Triangle that happened in Colorado this weekend. This was the ride that got me hooked on road biking. I rode my first one a year ago, on a rented bike that was nowhere near close to fitting and the saddle was some sort of medieval torture device. It was a horrendous 78 miles.

This year was much much better. We had great weather, no wind and it seemed like everyone I spoke with had a great time. The only place I really struggled was the last 7 miles up the West side of Vail pass. I took a good friend on this ride and it was his first. He had a great time as well and is looking forward to doing his first true century.

Every red jersey I saw, I looked at to see if it was a 50+ jersey but sadly, I saw none. Maybe I'll get a chance to buy one and fly that banner at next years event!

PS - I hope the downed rider that was on the east side of Vail is OK. I stopped only long enough to ask if they had plenty of help, they did, so I made room for medical.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad you had a great ride. I was curious about something you said:

Quote Originally Posted by Merfman View Post
    This was the ride that got me hooked on road biking. I rode my first one a year ago, on a rented bike that was nowhere near close to fitting and the saddle was some sort of medieval torture device. It was a horrendous 78 miles.
    Soooo, 78 miles of pain and torture got you into biking? I'm not sure I would have had the same reaction

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are masochist about.

Great to see you still riding- and hope the butt has hardened so that you can do 78 miles.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What were you riding this year?
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nmichell View Post
    Glad you had a great ride. I was curious about something you said:

Soooo, 78 miles of pain and torture got you into biking? I'm not sure I would have had the same reaction
    I guess I just relish a good challenge.

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good job. Where are the pictures?
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

My Bikes
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry BD, I didn't carry a camera. After perusing this forum for a few weeks I've come to realize that I need to carry my camera.

Sir Faff, I was riding my Matrix. After renting the death machine, my wife bought me a bike of my own!

My Bikes
    Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BluesDawg View Post
    Good job. Where are the pictures?
    How do you get pictures into this forum anyway? All of the ones I've taken bust the 100kb size limit.
    This inquiring mind would very much like to know.

congratulations on the Triangle ride. I was signed up this year but work issues have curtailed any big events for me the last few weeks. I love that ride. Maybe Triple bypass next year?????
    And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

My Bikes
    '79 Gios, '80 Masi, '06 Felt, early '60s Frejus
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This was my first supported ride. The things that I remember are freezing my ass off until the sun came up over Freemont Pass, how fast the flat sections went by, cheering spectators in Minturn, and almost stopping for leg cramps on Vail Pass. The cramps never went away but I was somehow able to find a fresh muscle group to pull me over the top. And the food and company were fantastic.