Advertise on Bikeforums.net

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No strength left in hands

Recently I have noticed that after long rides (for me that's 50 miles), my grip in both hands is really weak. First noticed this when I got in my car after a long ride and had trouble turning the ignition key. I assumed I had unconsciously gripping the bar tightly, but I have tried to be aware of my grip and avoid tensing up while I am riding. Anyone had a similar experience?

My Bikes
    GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AFter my mountain biking early on. That was definitely due to having a death grip on the bars.

You will now be barraged with advice about proper bike fitting, but I'm not going to be the one to do it. I'm tired of getting all the crap work around here.

My Bikes
    Cervelo SLC-SL, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My guess is too much pressure on your hands. You are probably gripping the bars too tightly (when you don't notice) from either that's the way you hold the bars to keeping your balance. Check your saddle position. It should be flat. A forward tilt keeps your putting too much weight on your hands. Also check how far forward your hoods are on the bar. Lastly, you could raise the bars through flipping the stem.
    You're just trying to start an argument to show how smart you are.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you wearing gloves while you ride? Good gloves may help reduce the numbness in addition to relaxing the grip on the bar and making sure the saddle is level.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It can also be from a hyper-extended wrist (like laying on your side, cradling your head in the palm of your hand - wrist bent back ). I broke at least one jar of peanut butter, thinking I had a firm grip taking it out of the refrigerator. Also fun watching your fingers slide down a pencil while trying to write.....

The odd thing is that there would be a sharpish pain at the elbow, apparently from the stretched tendon.

For me, it wasn't a bicycle thing, I wound up using a wrist brace while sleeping.

slightly re bike fitting - maybe too long a reach to the bars and not getting enough of palm on tops (or grips if flat bars) causing wrist to bend (+whatever jolts from the road..)

6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England
    My Bikes
    Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have a problem occasionally with my left hand. This is due to me favouring it a bit as the Bypass took a vein out of that arm. I have a rubber ball to exercise the hands with and when the problem crops up- I start exercising the hand by sqeezinng the ball for a few 5 minute sessions a day. With me it is blood circulation so the ball helps- but on a ride- flex the hands a bit as soon as they feel uncomfortable or you get pins and Needles.

Either that or get the wife to drive you back from the rides.
    How long was I in the army? Five foot seven.

Spike Milligan

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Secret #1 for a more comfortable position for your hands on an MTB bar.

In your normal riding position, your forarms make an angle at the bar. Adjust your controls (both brake and shifter) so that they angle down from the front of the bar at that same angle.

By placing your controls parallell with your forarms, you will have a more neutral and comfortable angle in your wrist.

After that, you can start to think about good gloves and using more hand positions.

My Bikes
    '12 Salsa Casseroll...Pepé.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    usually just from the vibration as you ride, especially longer distances. It's like after you use a piece of machinery, power washer, hedge trimmers, chain saw etc. Your hand feels week and even shakes a bit. It is from the vibration, tension, and the amount of time spent on the activity IMHO.
    "If there are no cigars in heaven, I shall not go." -Mark Twain

'12 Salsa Casseroll (Pepé)
    '09 Specialized Roubaix Elite (Black Stallion)
    '89 Puegeot Bordeaux (Big Blue)
    '08 Specialized Sirrus Comp (Shadow)
    '06 Trek Navigator 500 (The Beast)

My Bikes
    2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2014 Specialized Crux EVO Carbon Disc, 2012 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross, 2011 Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert Compact, 2009 Salsa Casseroll, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a similar problem when I first started riding long road rides on my MTB.

My suggestions:

Good gloves.
    A good fit on your bike so your weight is well distributed and your hands are in the proper position.
    A light grip on the bars.
    Wrap the bars with good bar tape.
    Keep moving your hands around to different positions on the bar. This is, of course, easier to do if you have bars with multiple hand positions available. Bar ends help on MTB bars, but drop bars are a better solution for long rides.
    The more you ride your bike, the less your ass will hurt.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, West of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In addition to BluesDawg's recommendations, A good bike shop will have gel packs that are meant to be mounted on your bars, under the bar tape. If you don't have them, try them, they're great. That change plus some really good, well padded gloves along with periodically shaking/relaxing your wrists should work.
    If the numbness/strength loss takes more than a few minutes to fade away, see a physician to be sure you don't have another problem.
    Mine turned out to be a large bone spur in the rotator cuff region.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Humvee of bikes =Worksman Nightshade's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glowworm View Post
    Recently I have noticed that after long rides (for me that's 50 miles), my grip in both hands is really weak. First noticed this when I got in my car after a long ride and had trouble turning the ignition key. I assumed I had unconsciously gripping the bar tightly, but I have tried to be aware of my grip and avoid tensing up while I am riding. Anyone had a similar experience?
    Once you have your bars and seat all set so you are comfortable suggest that you invest in
    these grips to relieve much of the pain left to deal with in your wrist & hands.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...All%20Products
    My preferred bicycle brand is.......WORKSMAN CYCLES
    I dislike clipless pedals on any city bike since I feel they are unsafe.

Originally Posted by krazygluon
    Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
    Aluminum: barely a hundred, which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ya could try strengthing your wrists and forearm muscles. I got pain in my hands and wrists from my attack shifters and used a powerball to strenthen the area up. Worked after about 2 weeks

http://www.firstaid4sport.co.uk/prod...LAID=153521149

You could use one of those body building grip stregthening thingys too which are a bit cheaper

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions! It helps just to know what others have experienced. I'll give these a try.