Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

I may have the fever.

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

I may have the fever.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-08, 12:09 AM
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I may have the fever.

I can’t believe it but I am already looking for another bike. I don’t mean a replacement bike but rather an additional bike for a different type of riding. For the last two months I have been trying to put some reasonable base miles in riding my Revive LX just about everywhere. Monday I joined our LBS club ride and managed to keep up very well with the other riders and I even had some energy left over. I stopped by the LBS and took a look at three different bikes and have decided I may have to get one by the end of summer.

I test rode a Jamis Trail X-2 and a Giant Sedona DX and a Jamis Ventura Sport. Having just finished a 30-mile ride with a group of other riders I was feeling like I might like to try some other rides either on a dirt trail of 22 miles around our local lake or maybe a road trip. I am getting in shape even if I know I have a long way to go.

My impressions were different with all three bikes. The Jamis Trail X-2 seemed a bit more sluggish and the frame seems a bit small for me. The ride was smooth and the bike soaked up the bumps surprisingly well. The best part might be that the bike was on sale and I have the cash on hand without having to explain to my wife how I can budget the bike in. In fact all three bikes are in the ballpark.

The Sedona was the next bike out the door. The ride was easier, a bit faster and a lot more comfortable. I could easily see doing 30 miles on this bike and the tires looked like they would take a dirt trail or fire road with little or no problem.

The last Ride was on the Jamis Ventura Sport. It was obviously the fastest of the three but it didn’t look like it would be at home on a dirt road and not if there were any sand on that road. I did love how easy it was to get up to speed but the seat was a killer. While I realize there are some adjustments that can be made I don’t think I am in the shape necessary to rotate my pelvic area enough to relieve the pressure that the correct riding position puts on parts of my body that doesn’t respond well to such pressure.

There may be a road bike in my future but I don’t think I am ready for one just yet. But the guy at the LBS tells me I would get in shape faster with the Jamis Sport. I am still undecided but I am moving towards getting another bike sooner than I thought.
Old 08-06-08, 12:19 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Quite a range of styles you have in those bikes. I think it depends on what kind of surfaces and terrains you really want to ride.
Old 08-06-08, 12:38 AM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by The Weak Link
Quite a range of styles you have in those bikes. I think it depends on what kind of surfaces and terrains you really want to ride.
I am leaning towards the Sedona because the Lake trail is so close to my home. I tend to ride with the touring group when I do the group LBS rides but they have a weekly ride around the lake that I might enjoy.

I am good for 30 miles on the Revive before I get any signs of numb bottom and bike shorts might fix that. The Lake trail is not that extreme for 90 percent dirt and the Sedona has pretty comfortable saddle. I am beginning to think the road bike might be better after I have been riding for a while more. The gearing on the Sedona should make hills a bit easier and I can stand on the pedals, which is something I can’t do now.
Old 08-06-08, 05:42 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Saddles are changeable. Don't base your decision on the saddle.

And, you ARE ready for a road bike.

Getting a road bike should not be a big deal. Even beginners can ride road bikes.

Have fun.
Old 08-06-08, 02:27 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yup. You've got the fever.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-06-08, 02:36 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't know the Jamis bikes but you can do better than the Sedona- even in the Giant range- and it would vastly improve the ride quality- milage- speed and enjoyment. And it is basically an OCR3 with straight bars.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-US/...ad/1244/29286/

The FCR range is not a bad bike for the price. Not perfect but what bike is. Have a friend that changed from an MTB set up for the road to the FCR3 and I never realised that he was that good a rider till he did change. Milage- speed- and enjoyment for him went up greatly- so much so that on our annual trip on the Tandem for a Charity ride- This year he wants to go on the solo's to see how much he has improved.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-06-08, 04:14 PM
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
Saddles are changeable. Don't base your decision on the saddle.

And, you ARE ready for a road bike.

Getting a road bike should not be a big deal. Even beginners can ride road bikes.

Have fun.
Maybe if I am a little more open on my thinking here it will help. I know I am slowly getting up to speed so to speak on bike riding. The Revive is making a great utility bike and it is a pretty good road cruiser. Because it was easy and comfortable to ride I road it more and because I rode it more I discovered how much more I like riding. SO it was a good choice for what I wanted it for. Now I am ready for more and here is how I see it.

There is a very good 22.5-mile trail around our lake and it is only about 2.5 miles from my house. It looks like it would be a good trail to ride at least once a week and there is a group from my LBS that rides it every Wednesday morning. I think I would enjoy riding that trail and maybe some other more difficult trail we have near here after a while. That is why I have been thinking about a MTB or Hybrid.

We also have some nice quiet back roads not far from here and they have a few hills and even one monster climb to a mountain resort community about a days ride from here. I can see the day when I would like to ride some of those roads either by myself or with the club ride our LBS has. That was why I tried the Road bike. Like I said I know you can get other saddles and they can be adjusted so as to not close off the blood flow to places I don’t want the blood flow cut off to.

The thing is I am ready for the dirt trail but I think I am about 35 pounds away from the road bike and being able to utilize any advantages drop bars might have for that kind of ride.

I have a new plan or a thought that I have decided to look into. I think I will try and find a used MTB or even a FCR as suggested and start saving for a road bike. And who knows maybe someone I ride with may be ready to move up and I might get a shot at something they need to part with. I can see I am about to start a quest.
Old 08-06-08, 04:40 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Good thoughts.

When I first started bicycling at age 58, 10 years ago, I bought a mtn bike in March, on which I trained for about 4 months and 1,200 miles, and on which I rode the "Ride the Rockies" - in June - a week long tour in the Colorado high country which I rode an additional 350 miles.

After hearing way too many times, "on your left" and never getting to say it, I decided I wanted a road bike.

But, I still have and use the mtn bike, and it has become my friend.

Mountain bikes are good to have.