Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Sugar's Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 06:26 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugar's Up

We have had three weeks of rain and wind because of storms close and it looks like there is no let up coming.

I enjoyed the first week off from lifting and cycling but now my sugar is up, I feel bad and I better get to doing something. (I'm a Diabetic)

Today I setup my oil trainer, put a fan in front and here we go. I can run the cadence and heart rate monitor.

I'm going to set the DVD player up on a table in front and hope I can do an hour or so.

Tomorrow I'll do Yoga and Pilates on a mat in the house.

Remember, DO OR DIE
Old 08-04-08, 09:12 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Burr:
Ok, you have been an encouragement and accountability partner since my diagnosis with Type 2! It has been greatly appreciated! Now it is my turn:

So, get some almonds to snack on. Eat right. Drink lots of water (I'm still stuck on Iced Tea - must be a Texas thing) and exercise. You reminded me that it was to easy to become "non compliant". You know Burr, I think that stress plays a roll as well.

So, Go Guy! You Will Do It!

Side Note: I was telling my Dentist friend that I wanted to do a bike tour in the Philippines. Doc thought I was crazy!

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-04-08, 09:58 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ditto on the almonds -- great snack! Just don't eat too many.

I find that the more I move, the more my body wants to move and the more it misses it when I miss a few days. But when I miss a week, I start getting lazy and it takes every fiber within me to get back on track.

I'm trying to make exercise of some sort (can be just a casual 30 minute walk if that's all you can do) something I do every day, like brushing my teeth. Diabetes runs in my family and I want to fend it off.

Fight on, both of you!
Old 08-05-08, 01:14 AM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[quote=fthomas;

So, get some almonds to snack on. Eat right. Drink lots of water (I'm still stuck on Iced Tea - must be a Texas thing) and exercise. You reminded me that it was to easy to become "non compliant". You know Burr, I think that stress plays a roll as well.

So, Go Guy! You Will Do It!

Side Note: I was telling my Dentist friend that I wanted to do a bike tour in the Philippines. Doc thought I was crazy![/QUOTE]

Thanks Pal, I am working on it and we'll see what I read tomorrow, today was 178. I normally sat around 120-130 for years. I added the "Januvia" four days ago.

As to the ride over here, you wouldn't make five miles until you would be on some nuts hood.

I also drink a gal. of ice tea a day, no sugar. It stays in the 90's here.
Old 08-05-08, 05:47 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I went to McD's the otherday and they must have slipped a reg. coke in on me. That's like maybe 55g's (large coke in a cup) of sugar and my count went out of site. I ate some other stuff that night that should have not hurt me but I am pulling it down, today 20 points and I hope I can pull it down another 20 tomorrow, I just went out of sight (178), it was un-real.
Life's hell when you are a diabetic and the longer you are one the worst you get at taking care.
I rode the oil trainer for 45 minutes and did some Thi Chi, It is still raining so today I'll do a full ThiChi workout, nice and slow.

No Carbs today.
Old 08-05-08, 06:15 PM
Fred E Fenders

Bikes: Jamis Aurora Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
McD's?? I would much rather have pork adobo.

"Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving."
Albert Einstein (1879-1955)
Old 08-05-08, 07:47 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you under the care of a nutritionist or registered dietitian? Diabetes isn't a disease that is easy to manage alone.

I lost weight by following an exchange plan from a Registered Dietitian whom I found in the yellow pages. Mine was geared for hypoglycemia but diabetes runs in my family so I was at high risk at that time. I adhered to the eating plan and exercised and lost 50 pounds in 4 years. My thinking was that if I ever am diagnosed with diabetes, I'll already be eating a healthy diet with proper portion sizes, and exercising, so I wouldn't have to suddenly make drastic lifestyle changes. This is my lifestyle now and I hope to God I'll never go back -- I never lack energy and I'm down to the weight I was 25 years ago.

I don't mean to lecture.... it just sounds as if you're trying to find your way around in the dark and may need some guidance.
Old 08-08-08, 10:18 PM
Off your Donkey, lets go

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
got the sugar pulled down.
132 the last two days.

I think I did it to myself, little cheats become big cheats after time.

Rode 10 miles today and lifted yesterday.

I'm getting back in control.