Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Is it worth the effort, or is this 50+ bored?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 08-05-08, 08:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a Specialized S-Works Roubaix with full Dura Ace components. I've also got a Habanero Team Titanium with full Ultegra SL components. I much prefer the ride of the Habanero, and am thinking about switching component groups between the two bikes. When I'm on the Habanero, I'm happy with the performance and function of the Ultegra SL, but when I'm on the Roubaix, I do notice that the brakes are better and the shifting just a hair crisper. So, what say you other 50+ forum members? Is it worth the effort, or is this the thinking of someone with too much time on their hands?
Old 08-05-08, 08:58 AM
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
If you are talking new Dura Ace, then I believe that you will be better served by the Ultegra SL components. IMHO, new Dura Ace is so racer oriented that it is built without much regard for longevity. Less weight at all costs seems to be the motto.
Old 08-05-08, 09:29 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
TRy it and see if you like it. Then keep it that way or swap it back if you prefer. Fiddling around with your bike's setup is always worth it. Sometimes you don't even need a reason. Just do it because you can.
Old 08-05-08, 09:34 AM
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1319 Post(s)
Liked 2,411 Times in 1,405 Posts
I would swap the gruppos. That is what being old is about. We know what we like and we take action to get it. I like my D/A a lot and have it on both road and TT bikes.
Old 08-05-08, 09:35 AM
Banned.

Bikes: GF Wahoo '05, Trek T1000 '04, Lemond Buenos Aires '07

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts
Logically the two arms are not mutually exclusive. You may be bored and it might also be worth the effort.

Otherwise on this subject, as with most, I have nothing helpful to add.
Old 08-05-08, 09:47 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You have way to much time on your hands - get a part time job at Walmart as a greeter.
Old 08-05-08, 09:52 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by cyclinfool
You have way to much time on your hands - get a part time job at Walmart as a greeter.
That's harsh.
Old 08-05-08, 09:56 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have not noticed that DA wears quickly. I just replaced a DA cassette with 10,000 miles on it. Maybe Ultegra would do better but I'm satisfied with DA. I do like DA better so I would switch. Or better yet, get a great deal on a DA closeout and ditch the Ultegra completely.
Old 08-05-08, 09:56 AM
Version 7.0

On second thought, I would buy a new 09 D/A gruppo which is lighter and has the internally routed cables for the Habanero Team Titanium.
Old 08-05-08, 09:57 AM

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With that kind of time on your hands you should set up some performance test using both bikes with each bike using both sets of componets. Keep in mind that your performances may be affected by fatigue so you'll need conduct three seperate sets of test riding the bikes/combinations in various order. Only then, by comparing the results, will you have objective data to base your decision on.
Old 08-05-08, 09:58 AM
Climbing Above It All

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
On second thought, I would buy a new 09 D/A gruppo which is lighter and has the internally routed cables for the Habanero Team Titanium.
Even better!
Old 08-05-08, 10:12 AM
gone ride'n

Bikes: Simoncini, Gary Fisher, Specialized Tarmac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
With that kind of time on your hands you should set up some performance test using both bikes with each bike using both sets of componets. Keep in mind that your performances may be affected by fatigue so you'll need conduct three seperate sets of test riding the bikes/combinations in various order. Only then, by comparing the results, will you have objective data to base your decision on.

To add to this you might also try various combinations of the two sets. You will need to pick several types of courses as well - flat, hilly, short and long. Each ride will need to be done several times over at various times of day to average out measurement errors. You may determine that for hilly terrain you prefer DA brifters and Ultegra DRs and for flat terrain you prefer all Ultegra or some combination. You would then be able to optimize the bike for each type of ride you do. This could be your lifes work.

Just sayin
Old 08-05-08, 10:17 AM

Bikes: 2009 Chris Boedeker custom; 2007 Bill Davidson custom; 2021 Bill Davidson custom gravel bike; 2022 Specialized Turbo Vado e-bike

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I guess I have to be the first to point out that a new frame is the answer to your problems.

Buy one of those wonderful Habanero cross frames, and swap your Ultegra set over to that. Mount fenders on it, and you have a fantastic Titanium rain/bad weather bike. You can even put a rack on it and use it as a fast commuter / errand bike.

Then, get a new DA group, put that on your Habanero Team frame.

You're welcome.

Last edited by BengeBoy; 08-05-08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 08-05-08, 10:59 AM

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Roubaix Elite Compact, 2004 Giant Cypress, 1981 Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stripping an S-Works Roubaix of full Dura-Ace components constitutes cruel and unusual punishment and is a terrible way to treat your bike, IMHO.

I'm with the others who've suggested buying another set of DA stuff for the Habanero, making it a hotter ride without insulting your Roubaix. Or, consider going full Campy, if you have money to burn.
Old 08-05-08, 11:09 AM
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Just to stir the pot a bit, get SRAM Red for the Habanero.
Old 08-05-08, 11:20 AM
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by BluesDawg
SRAM shifting is different but in some ways similar to Campy. I like the light action of D/A versus Campy / SRAM. However, SRAM Red is the lightest and most expensive Gruppo. I do have the SRAM Red cassette which is the only piece of real steel on my plastic bike.
Old 08-05-08, 02:24 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Spokes man
Stripping an S-Works Roubaix of full Dura-Ace components constitutes cruel and unusual punishment and is a terrible way to treat your bike, IMHO.

I'm with the others who've suggested buying another set of DA stuff for the Habanero, making it a hotter ride without insulting your Roubaix. Or, consider going full Campy, if you have money to burn.
+1
Old 08-05-08, 03:07 PM
just keep riding

SRAM shifting is different but in some ways similar to Campy. I like the light action of D/A versus Campy / SRAM. However, SRAM Red is the lightest and most expensive Gruppo. I do have the SRAM Red cassette which is the only piece of real steel on my plastic bike.
I've been thinking about getting a new modern road bike next year to celebrate returning to real riding after my cancer treatments are behind me. I think I may want to go with SRAM (probably Rival). I really like the double tap concept that keeps all the shifting on the inner lever and keeps the brake lever out of the gear shifting business. On the other hand, I think I could learn to be just as happy with Shimano 105 or Ultegra. Much will depend on whether I go for a complete bike or if I think I'll be able to afford to do a custom build. I'm curious to see the 2 new road bikes Salsa has in the works.
If funds are limited (likely), the 2009 Specialized Allez Elite C2 looks interesting.
Old 08-05-08, 03:35 PM
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Only a couple of things to change to see if it works- Is it the brakes? Or the pads? or the wheels? that give better braking- of course it could be the brakes or the Brifters or the cables- so plenty to check out Similar with the Changing- Check out and clean and oil the cables. Make certain they are set up right on cable tension aswell.

But then it is down to the mentality of the ride. Dure Ace will be better- despite what the thoughts are on "Ultegra is just as good but half the price". And if you have time on your hands- will be a usefull exercise for the rest of us- providing you do it and report back.

Spike Milligan
Old 08-05-08, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think BengeBoy has the best idea about buying the Habenero cross bike and putting the ultegra components on it. I also think you should get it in a 56 or 57cm frame and if you don't like it let me know.
Old 08-05-08, 05:22 PM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
BORED!
Old 08-05-08, 06:07 PM
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
If you're trying to improve your brakes, go for Koolstop salmon colored pads. If you want more bling on your bike, swap in the Dura-Ace. If you've got lots of money and time on your hands, buy a new Dura-Ace so you've got DA on both bikes. Then sell the Ultegra on ebay. Or send it to me for safe keeping.
Old 08-05-08, 06:28 PM

Bikes: 2015 Scissortail hardtail MTB, 2013 XL Longbike USS recumbent, 2010 Hans Schneider steel randonneur road bike, 2005 Surly LHT;

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Contribute $ 25 to get a RED STAR and you'll feel better about a lot of things and time won't seem to drag as slowly...
Old 08-05-08, 07:04 PM

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by BluesDawg
I'd like to suggest as well, get Campy Record for the Specialized. Selling the Ultegra and the Dura will pay for one of those gruppos.
Old 08-05-08, 08:30 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
+1

BTW, are these new internally-routed brifters out yet?