Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-08, 03:57 PM   #1
hy_tek
Apprentice Peddler

Bikes: Giant Nutra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Clueless about tires for my hybrid bike?

I am a recreational biker who does a lot of trips mostly on paved paths of say 25 miles or so. My tires on my old Giant Nutra are cracked and beginning to dry rot. I need new tires but the sheer selection of bike tires is overwhelming to someone like me. My current blackwall tire size says 700X38C on the tire. While I do 90% of my riding on asphalt I do ride on crushed limestone paths as well on which there are small loose stones at times and debris. So I figure a strict totally smooth road tire would not be good for me. I need some suggestions as to which tire would work for me and where is a good place to get tires online. I looked at Nashbar but once again I have no clue as to which tire would serve me well. I do want something resistent to flats if possible since lately I have gotten more than my share. I am a big guy at about 260 pounds. Any specific tire suggestions and where to get them would be most appreciated.

I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post but I could not find a forum specific to my topic.
hy_tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 04:12 PM   #2
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 2010 Expedition, 03 GTO
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Go with these for cheap.
How much do you want to spend on tires?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid

Set F1re To The Ra1n ( NY Night Rain Ride)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7jfcWEkSrI
10 Wheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 04:29 PM   #3
Dchiefransom

Bikes:
I like Specialized Armadillos.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35691

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35692

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35693

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35694

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35695

Local dealers.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCDealerLoc.jsp
Old 08-22-08, 06:49 PM   #4
Bikewer

Bikes:
I confess I usually just check the Nashbar website for what's on sale.... One thing to avoid is tires with tiny little "sipes" or grooves; these tend to attract sharp little rocks and chunks of glass like a magnet.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:02 PM   #5
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels View Post
Go with these for cheap.
How much do you want to spend on tires?

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...kking%2FHybrid

I have one of these. It's an okay hybrid tire.

There are usually tires from Continental and Kenda from your LBS. Or Bontrager if a Trek dealer.

Many of the on-line retailers don't offer much, as hybrid owners tend to buy locally rather than mail-order.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:36 PM   #6
PaulH

Bikes:
Schwalbe Marathon Plus. The way I see it, I want my bike to be as flat resistant as my cars. Nothing else comes close.

Paul
PaulH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:50 PM   #7
guybierhaus

Bikes: Flat bar road bike, trail bike and MTB
Well I've been riding on these Nashbar tires.
Found the 32mm width to be quicker on pavement then my stock Bontrager 38mm hardcase. Also quite good on crushed limestone trails. Unfortunately it appears Nashbar only has 38mm in stock. Can't comment on flats, I must live a charmed life so far. Had only 1 in three years.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...mmuter%20Tires
guybierhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 07:52 PM   #8
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
The Schwalbe's are definitely a hardier tire, but keep in mind that most hybrid tires have much thicker rubber, and usually a tread or inverted tread, as compared to road tires and most aren't prone to puncture. Note that the $8 Nashbar tires weigh 500-600 grams each, so there is already a lot of casing and rubber there.

If one really wants to avoid almost any chance of a flat then the Schwalbe or Armadillos are best. But they will cost significantly more than most hybrid tires. OTOH, they might last 5-10 years for a hybrid rider.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 08-22-08 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-22-08, 08:09 PM   #9
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hy_tek View Post
I do ride on crushed limestone paths as well on which there are small loose stones at times and debris. So I figure a strict totally smooth road tire would not be good for me.
Tread on bicycle tires is overrated. I don't think that tread on crushed limestone trails does much. I live about 2 miles from Missouri's crushed limestone Katy trail so I ride on it a lot. My bike of choice for the Katy has 28mm wide slick tires.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 08:18 PM   #10
nivekdodge

Bikes:
I'm having the same thoughts that I don't want a road bike but would like my Diamondback hybrid to go a little better. The other night I saw a comment about better quality tires "rolling better". I know you get what you pay for but is this true? I have Kenda Kouriers 700 x 40c right now on a 19 rim. I see these are fairly cheap on the spectrum so could I go to a 28 in a really expensive tire? One difference though I'm only 150 lbs though.

Way back my best buddy saved for years and bought a Paris Sport when the rest of s couldn't afford a cheap Huffy. When you got on that bike it rolled like ball bearings on glass soaked in water. I gues I'm looking for that.
nivekdodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 08:50 PM   #11
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp
Schwalbe Marathon Supreme from Niagra Bicycle.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-08, 11:13 PM   #12
nivekdodge

Bikes:
So you say stay with the 40c
Old 08-22-08, 11:26 PM   #13
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

What kind of bike are the Kendas on? And does that tire have a fairly smooth tread in the center? When you ride on pavement, are they relatively quiet or do you hear a lot of tire noise?

A lighter, thinner, smoother tire can make a bit of a difference on a hybrid. But even a smooth fat tire is still relatively quick, as many people using slicks on mountain bikes have found out.

If it is kinda knobbie / noisy, then going to a smaller, smoother tire could help as it would have less rolling resistance. Doubt I would go any lower than a 700x32 on a standard, heavy'ish hybrid.

Old 08-23-08, 08:10 AM   #14
rraabfaber
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)
Quote:
I do want something resistent to flats if possible since lately I have gotten more than my share.
Those Kenda Cosmos are a steal!

Here in New Mexico, we have an ubiquitous little thorn plant called the goathead. You can't swing a dead cat around without hitting one, let along ride out of your driveway. I use Slime in my tires and swear by it. Unless I happen to pick up some unusually large chunks of glass, the Slime seals the punctures fast and efficiently. And unlike some tire sealers, it doesn't harden inside your wheel and throw it off balance.

I also know people who create ghettofied thorn/glassproof wheels by cutting the center strip from an old tire and inserting it between their tube and tire.
rraabfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 04:19 PM   #15
nivekdodge

Bikes:
http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...wood&Type=bike

It's a Diamondback Edgewood. No I have tread all the way thru the center but I haven''t noticed how much noise is there. I probably should weigh it to see how heavy it is. DB doesn't list the weight so if you're 1 gram heavier you can't make them fix it. lol. I just checked Kenda and the picture they have shows the kourioe as being smooth middle'd. Hmmmm
Old 08-24-08, 04:03 AM   #16
bmorey

Bikes: Giant CRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulH View Post
Schwalbe Marathon Plus. The way I see it, I want my bike to be as flat resistant as my cars. Nothing else comes close.

Paul
I'll second that. After getting two flats a week I changed to the Schwalbes and never got a flat for the next 8 months until:

They're expensive but worth it.

Last edited by bmorey; 08-24-08 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Typo
bmorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-08, 04:18 AM   #17
hy_tek
Apprentice Peddler

Thank you all for the wonderful advice. The cost of the tire is not as important as the durability and flat resistance to me. I had to walk my bike back home about 10 miles the other day in 90+ degree heat and I don't want that to happen again if possible. I looked at some new Treks and they all seem to have the Bontrager Hard Case Select Invert tires on them.
Old 08-25-08, 06:12 AM   #18
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

The Bontrager Hard Case Select Invert are very good tires for a hybrid.

http://bontrager.com/technology/hardcase/en

As good as a Schwalbe Marathon?
http://www.schwalbetires.com/marathon

Or Specialized Infinity Armadillo or Nimbus Armadillo?
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35691
http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=35692

I'd be surprised if the Bontrager was as puncture-resistant as those three. But I would expect it to be close.

Old 08-31-08, 05:58 AM   #19
hy_tek
Apprentice Peddler

Can anyone tell me about quality of the Kenda branded tires? They seem to be much cheaper than most other brands but not many people on the forums seem to recommend them as a replacement tire. Is there a reason or is this just a coincidence? The Kenda kevlar belted tires seem to be very reasonable in price.
Old 08-31-08, 07:44 AM   #20
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL Comp frameset (custom build), 2015 Zukas custom road, 2014 Specialized Crave Pro 29, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Kenda makes many good tires in a wide variety of prices. I have had nothing but good results from them, cheap ones and more upscale ones. Their Tomac Series Small Block Eight MTB tires are a top choice among XC MTB racers in my area. I would not hesitate to buy a Kenda tire that had the design features I wanted.
BluesDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 08:26 AM   #21
abqhudson
Ti #18 Senior.

Bikes: Serotta Concours
The absolute best.

Great ride.

Challenge GRIFO XS dry CYCLOCROSS Clincher (Open Tubular) Tire

http://www.bikemania.biz/Challenge_G...clincherxs.htm
abqhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 11:43 AM   #22
buddyp

Bikes: derosa, bianchi, fuji, panasonic, jamis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
Tread on bicycle tires is overrated. I don't think that tread on crushed limestone trails does much. I live about 2 miles from Missouri's crushed limestone Katy trail so I ride on it a lot. My bike of choice for the Katy has 28mm wide slick tires.
I agree with this. I ride a lot of crushed gravel on 23s. 28s are better but if the skinny tires are on the bike and I feel like riding the gravel I go for it anyway.

For the OP, here's my suggestion:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=5425

I put these on my wifes hybrid and I'm pleased with them. I think even she noticed the improvement over the heavy treaded tires her bike came with
buddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 12:39 PM   #23
Nerdanel 
Can't Re Member

Bikes: 2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
If I may sneak my own cluelessness in under someone else's thread: I have a hybrid (Giant Cypress) and I think the tires are 700 x 38 (is that the same as 29" x 1.5"?). I'm always reading here that narrower, smoother tires will make the bike roll more efficiently. If that's so, here's my dumb question. Does that mean I can replace my tires (the rubber part with tread) with narrower tires on the same wheel (the metal part)? Do 700x38s and, say, 700x32s take the same tubes?

My ignorance may be partly excusable. Earlier in the summer both my tires flatted when I left the bike out in the sun in 100+* weather. My LBS told me I had them pumped up too high (at the time I was inflating to 60 when the side of the tire said 55-85). He said they should never be inflated over 45. That can't be right.
Old 08-31-08, 12:53 PM   #24
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline
Quote:
..... I had to walk my bike back home about 10 miles the other day in 90+ degree heat and I don't want that to happen again if possible.......
Regardless of what tire you eventually go with you NEED to have a spare tube, tire levers and a frame pump of some sort and learn to deal with changing the tube while out on a ride. Even the most flat resistant tires will find something that'll beat them as the post a few up with the nail showed. Seriously, this is not an option IMHO and I'll bet that anyone that commutes will back me up on this.

Getting back to tire selection....

A large part of my enjoyment of riding is the snappiness of the bike under me. To get that I prefer a lighter tire so the rotational mass is lower. This really perks up the bike each time I pull away from a stop. I've only handled a Schwalbe Marathon once but found it to be a thick and heavy tire. A good tire from all accounts judging by the number of strong recomendations but you obviously make a choice for durability over performance when you choose such a tire. My own recomendation for a lighter but still highly flat resistant option based on many years of riding them is the Panaracer TG tires. I ran a Pasela TG for 5 or 6 years of commuting with no flats that I can remember vs the one a month from my other tires. The TG belting comes on the Pasela and Tserv and both of these tires are a lighter and faster rolling tire than I think you'll find the Marathon or similar heavy sidewall and tread options to be. If speed and quick rolling are important to you then I'd suggest trying a set. If you're more of a casual rider then I think you'll love the Marathons or similar inverted heavy tread styles.
BCRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-08, 09:59 PM   #25
ad6mj

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Motobecane Fantom Trail, Specialized Hard Rock, Giant Nutra
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
Regardless of what tire you eventually go with you NEED to have a spare tube, tire levers and a frame pump of some sort and learn to deal with changing the tube while out on a ride. Even the most flat resistant tires will find something that'll beat them as the post a few up with the nail showed. Seriously, this is not an option IMHO and I'll bet that anyone that commutes will back me up on this.
+1000
Unless you don't plan on going far, or like walking long distances or have a team car following, you need to be able to fix a flat.
ad6mj is offline   Reply With Quote