Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-08, 05:42 PM   #1
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good news about my back

I reinjured my back last Friday and consequently decided to stay off the bike for a while. I had an appointment with the PT today and even though I'm not or probably never will be completely healed. I think this muscle will always give me some kind of trouble. He said to get back on the bike but don't go overboard, to listen to my body and I should be ok as long as I do the stretching. He told me he really can't give me the strengthening excercises to do until this thing calms down so basically I should be able to ride.
Old 08-23-08, 07:37 AM   #2
rraabfaber
King of Dorkistan

Bikes: K2 "Big Easy Deuce" 21s MTB/Cruiser hybrid. Huffy "Belfort" SS rat bike (Kept in truck bed for emergencies.)
Arrrgghhh! I feel your pain. At least you're able to ride some.

I have a problem with gout, combined with sciatica. Cycling actually helps me work through it, but, ironically, the getting on the bike (and especially using the affected limb for support when I stop) precludes the therapy. And my whole right arm from shoulder blade to palm has been an on and off again wreck for years, with pain, numbness, tingling and, etc. It was kind of better, but then I jacked it up installing wood floors last Christmas. I used to have free massage and acupuncture to deal with it, but not no more. I can't even afford to see a doctor about it right now. It can be a bear on longer rides, especially if there is a lot of shifting going on. (I probably need to switch from grip-shifters.)

Hang tough, brother.
rraabfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:08 AM   #3
Myqul

Bikes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbreaker View Post
He told me he really can't give me the strengthening excercises to do until this thing calms down so basically I should be able to ride.
I feel your pain too cuz i have back problems that will never go away completley.

The excercises i usually do to keep my back strong so i can ride are crunches. However, the times ive reinjured my back and not been able to crunch ive used isometric exercises. Have you consdered these? The beauty of isometrics is there's no movement to aggrevate the injured muscle. Just dont overdo it cuz you can still harm yourself if you do too much

I do usually do the "plank" excercise

http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/plank.html

Disclaimer: Im not a doctor or anything just going by my own experiences
Myqul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 06:13 PM   #4
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
The muscle I messed up is in the mid back area on the right side. Felt it tighten up back in June helping my son install an air conditioner. When I finally went to the doc and he recommended PT so I went and was improving till I started weeding in the garden a week ago Friday. Yesterday I had another appointment with the PT and he gave me a couple of different stretches to do and its already feeling better today so hopefully this thing is gonna settle down and I can get on with the strengthening portion.