Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Biking & back injuries

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Biking & back injuries

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-08, 05:01 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Hybrid, Schwinn Searcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Biking & back injuries

This summer I wanted to get serious about biking. I wanted to commute by bike to my job (12 miles on a paved bike trail). I actually did the commute twice. I was trying to do rides of 6 miles or so to get in shape, and I put 'road tires' (700x32) on my Schwinn. Well, installing those tires was probably the last straw for my chronically bad back. Two days later my back went into an agonizing spasm and for the next 2 days I was practically crippled. At least I think that biking must have been the extra stressor on my back. It's a week later, the weather's beautiful, and I'm not on my bike. . In fact I'm even afraid to get on it anymore because I can feel the pull when I press the pedal.

Is biking bad for your back, and if so, do I have any hope of ever biking again? ps. I'm generally in good health for being 57 years old.
Old 08-18-08, 05:39 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by greenfeather
This summer I wanted to get serious about biking. I wanted to commute by bike to my job (12 miles on a paved bike trail). I actually did the commute twice. I was trying to do rides of 6 miles or so to get in shape, and I put 'road tires' (700x32) on my Schwinn. Well, installing those tires was probably the last straw for my chronically bad back. Two days later my back went into an agonizing spasm and for the next 2 days I was practically crippled. At least I think that biking must have been the extra stressor on my back. It's a week later, the weather's beautiful, and I'm not on my bike. . In fact I'm even afraid to get on it anymore because I can feel the pull when I press the pedal.

Is biking bad for your back, and if so, do I have any hope of ever biking again? ps. I'm generally in good health for being 57 years old.
You might want to review this recent 50+ thread on back issues.

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plus-50/453214-guys-lower-back-pain-how-do-you-ride.html
Old 08-18-08, 05:44 AM
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chiropractic, deep fascia work, lots of core strengthening. That really got me back to road cycling. Now, as others have reported, cycling makes my back feel better rather than worse.
Old 08-18-08, 08:02 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mandovoodoo
Chiropractic, deep fascia work, lots of core strengthening. That really got me back to road cycling. Now, as others have reported, cycling makes my back feel better rather than worse.
+1. Eliminate serious issues, like broken vertabrae or squished disks. Then get yourself working on your core strength and flexibility. I have found Pilates to be a back (and hip) saver after several years of worsening pain. You might also consider that your bike may not fit you properly. A properly fitted bike will do wonders, too.
Old 08-25-08, 05:37 AM

Bikes: Schwinn Hybrid, Schwinn Searcher

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I looked at the other back pain thread. I have back pain when reaching too far & bending. I simply can't believe the best position to ride is bent over with drop handlebars. Nope. I'll ride upright where I can see where I'm going or not at all. PS. The drop-handlebar folks don't mention anything about neck pain from that unnatural bent-over position. Or do they have eyes on top of their heads??
Old 08-25-08, 05:43 AM
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
6,700 miles on a road bike has strengthened my back. The Two bad disc's have quit hurting.
Riding in the drops is making me stronger. Works my mid section.

Old 08-25-08, 06:15 AM
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I looked at the other back pain thread. I have back pain when reaching too far & bending. I simply can't believe the best position to ride is bent over with drop handlebars. Nope. I'll ride upright where I can see where I'm going or not at all. PS. The drop-handlebar folks don't mention anything about neck pain from that unnatural bent-over position. Or do they have eyes on top of their heads??
I've been going through this same thing for the past month. I haven't ridden more than 5 miles. Physical therapist gave me stretches to do after disc and vertabrae problems had been ruled out. I'm doing much better and even got on the bike for a few miles Saturday. I would get into a more upright position in your case as have I. Longer stem and moustache bars or ride on the tops. I get the neck crick if I try to ride in the drops too much too. Old goats like us don't have anything to prove anymore and if you aren't racing and are in it for the fun and excercise the get thee more upright. Its supposed to be fun not painful
Old 08-25-08, 07:22 AM
Senior Member ??

Bikes: 2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520 - 2014 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You don't need eyes on the top of your head with a properly fitted bike You also shouldn't be bending or reaching too far if the bike fits properly. I normally ride in a slightly bent position with my hands on the hoods and only use the drops in headwinds. The slightly bent position prevents jarring of the spine from the road more than the upright position. Your weight should be distributed between your hands, feet and saddle. This will take weight off your back.

I just finished a 350 mile tour on a Trek 520 touring bike with drop handlebars. I'm 65 and have 3 discs in my lower back with different degrees of injury. I simply do some stretching of the back before and after I ride. Sitting at my computer working causes more discomfort than riding the road bike.

Edit: I forgot to add that the neck doesn't cause me any problems either. I've had arthritis in the neck and shoulders for 20+ years. With exercise it's not a problem holding the neck in a slightly upward position while riding.

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
-- Antonio Smith
Old 08-25-08, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In and of itself, cycling is not bad for a healthy back. As a casual observation, it may be that the back pain is the result of exceeding your current level of flexibility and core body strength. If this is so, working to increase your flexibility and core strength would be a reasonable approach. If, in fact, you do want to get "serious" about cycling, it is realistic to expect that your body will need to undergo some cycling specific training and that improvements will occur over time.

With all of this said, it sounds as if you've already made up you mind about what you'll do and won't do. I hope your approach works out. Riding in an upright position has its liabilities too. For example, an upright position can be very painful for those with spinal problems such as a slipped disc or pinched nerves. The bumping and jarring that occurs when in that position can be very painful. Finally, as others have said, a proper fit is imperative for the serious cyclist.
Old 08-25-08, 07:53 AM
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Most of us ride in the "drops" less than 10% of the time. Downhill if you want to go faster, and in the wind.

Some folks ride with visors, which can aggravate the neck problem. You don't stretch your neck back, you tuck your chin in.

BUt, whatever works for you to have an enjoyable ride. That's what it is all about, and why there are so many different bicycle styles.

Have fun.
Old 08-26-08, 07:51 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a bad back problems, my doctor has suggested an operation but I am not ready for it. Anyway my friend suggested using a mustache bar. It has worked wonders for me. I ordered mine from Nashbar. The bars are a lot more comfortable than the drop bars
Old 08-27-08, 09:23 AM

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro,Easy Racer Gold Rush, Norco

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I suffer from a bad back and a very sensitive neck. Five years ago I was told by a physiotherapist I would never be able to ride a DF bike again. I switched to recumbents. It took a bit riding different recumbents to find one my body liked. I rode and toured with that used Gold Rush for 2 years. No back or neck problems. My LBS which is owned by a former bike racer said he could fix a DF so I would ride without pain. I have two DF bikes set up by him. Both have extended stems, straight handle bars and suspension seat posts. With this setup I sit straighter. My back and neck love the setup. There is a little back pain for a day when I switch from one bike to the other, however 3 strong muscle and back pain pills look after that. I just finished a 10 day rail to trail ride and never had an uncomfortable moment.
My key to agony free is to have a professional set up the entire bike including seat and stem height
Old 08-27-08, 09:50 AM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
You need to talk to your doctor about biking and your partilcular back problems. Also, consider a LWB recumbent. The upright seating position and lumbar support built into some of the seats may be a big help. These bikes are made for us older folks.

One thing that virtually eliminated my chronic low back problems is a rowing machine. Using it has toned up my core muscles and, wow, what a difference. Discuss this with your doctor before using one. bk