Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

It's all in (near) my head...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-08, 08:58 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've recently restarted riding (just last Sunday) and the bike that used to run silently has been making a funny creaking noise. Before I began riding I cleaned and lubed everything, so I have been trying to figure out where the noise was coming from. Checked the chain for tight links...adjusted both derailleurs, tightened everything...no luck. The noise did not appear to be associated with wheel or crank rotation..just a random noise, although it was more frequent when pedalling. First seemed to be coming from the front, then the back..it was driving me nuts (not a long trip I might add).

Anyway, as I was nearing home on tonight's ride it finally dawned on me that the noise was coming from my helmet! I will have to see if I can adjust the straps...or buy a new one! (I love it when the UPS guy brings me bike stuff (or radio stuff, or banjo stuff). All these diversions have one thing in common..the N+1 rule. No wonder I'm always broke! (Actually, I guess I will have to try the helmet on...so yet another trip to one of the many LBS around here..this time to actually buy something!)

Pete
Old 08-20-08, 09:46 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Every now and then I hear this very light metalic rattle coming from somewhere on my bike. Chain? No. Water bottles? No. Rear cassette? No. It's my Road ID dog tag every time.
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades
Old 08-21-08, 01:39 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
That is funny. A creaking helmet.
Old 08-21-08, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Harmonic resonance noises are the hardest bike noises to track down and fix.
Old 08-22-08, 02:43 AM
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
^^^
Are you implying that dawes56's head is a resonance chamber?
Old 08-22-08, 08:36 AM
Gilpin County Wheelman

Bikes: Parlee Z-4 2001 Fisher Sugar 1 Macalu Ti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CB HI
^^^
Are you implying that dawes56's head is a resonance chamber?
Well now, he does admit to being a banjo player.
Old 08-22-08, 09:28 AM

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I recall once nearing a mysterious rattling sound while riding a brand new bike. I stopped several times and made minor rear derailleur adjustments to no avail. I laughed once I fugured it out. The noise turned out to be my car keys rattling in my pocket.

Incidentally, I'm thinking that if you were inadvertantly wearing a banjo on your head rather than your bike helmet, that could account for some pretty strange noises. I remember hearing about some guy traveling all the way from Alabama with a banjo on his knee so maybe this isn't all that far fetched.

Last edited by Retro Grouch; 08-22-08 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-23-08, 09:14 PM

Bikes: dawes, schwinn, kona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I recall once nearing a mysterious rattling sound while riding a brand new bike. I stopped several times and made minor rear derailleur adjustments to no avail. I laughed once I fugured it out. The noise turned out to be my car keys rattling in my pocket.

Incidentally, I'm thinking that if you were inadvertantly wearing a banjo on your head rather than your bike helmet, that could account for some pretty strange noises. I remember hearing about some guy traveling all the way from Alabama with a banjo on his knee so maybe this isn't all that far fetched.
My wife has threatened several times to hit me over the head with the banjo, but so far I have avoided that fate. She prefers that I go riding so I won't be home and tempted to play...hmmm..come to think of it she made me buy the new bike to begin with....

I have another helmet that I am going to try next ride...had to abort today's ride because one of my cats is recovering from major surgery..and giving her the required pain meds and antibiotics took a lot longer that I thought (mostly to stop the bleeding on my arm lol).

Pete
Old 08-23-08, 09:53 PM
Lincoln, CA

Bikes: 94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
'05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades