Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  

Go Back   > >

Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

User Tag List

Old 08-23-08, 07:25 PM   #1
Fern53

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
First group of test rides today

I have been enjoying my comfort bike this summer, but it has become apparent that I may outgrow it before long. Have been doing some research online and trying to choose different road bikes and fitness bikes that might work for me. I have no interest in racing, but can see myself riding further and wanting to pick up some speed. I'm still on the fence about a traditional dropped handlebar road bike vs. a flat bar road bike, but trying to keep an open mind while looking around.

First, I went to a small bike shop that only deals with Giant. The more familiar shops near me have mainly Trek and Specialized. They had one OCR 3W in my size...nothing else. I liked it and was pleasantly surprised how well it handled in the short time I rode it, but had planned to get the (higher end) OCR 1W if that model appealed to me. I also wanted to try the FCR line, but they don't have any in stock right now. I'll check again in a few weeks. They seemed nice there and I wouldn't mind dealing with them.

The next stop was a waste of time; they had a strange assortment of one of this, one of that...and the sales person did not even show any interest in the customers in the store. On to the third shop, where I took out three bikes: a Specialized Dolce Elite, a Specialized Sequoia and a Trek FX 7.3 (women's). Of the three, I really liked the Dolce Elite and would like to ride one again. The Sequoia was not as nice, but it was the base model. Maybe not a fair comparison.

I'm 5'6" but seem to need a fairly small frame-probably due to my short legs. The Dolce was a 48 and I don't think I could have taken anything larger. The Sequoia was an XS men's frame, and the Trek 7.3 FX was a 15" women's frame. I felt squished on the latter, but didn't like the bike anyway. I would still like to try a 7.5 FX, but so far the Dolce was the today's winner. Others on my list are the Trek 2.1, the Specialized Allez, Giant OCR 1W and Giant FCR 2 or 1. Would also like to see what Fuji has to offer; that requires visiting yet another dealer.

My original plan was to wait until Spring '09 after I'd lost more weight but now I'm wondering if I should just go for it if I find the bike I want. Either I'm doing this at the wrong time of year, or I'm going to be hard to fit. Then again, they can't carry every bike in all sizes, but I do need to ride it first. Anyway, the process is fun...if not a bit confusing at times.
Fern53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:21 PM   #2
doctor j

Bikes:
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
My first and only modern day road bike is a Fuji Newest, which is not the top 'o the line, but I have had good luck with it. As I understand it, it is a "relaxed geometry". I'm not into racing, either. I do, however, like to be able to hang with the other road bikers in our group. I have enjoyed having the drop bars and ride in the drops frequently. Mine has a dorky looking adjustable angle stem, but I like it. I have around 5,800 miles on the bike, and it has served me well.

I hope you will find a good fit soon. Good hunting!
doctor j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:27 PM   #3
Fern53

Bikes: 1990 Univega Alpina, 2009 Specialized Dolce Elite, 2009 Jamis Coda Sport, 2010 Jamis Aurora
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor j View Post
My first and only modern day road bike is a Fuji Newest, which is not the top 'o the line, but I have had good luck with it. As I understand it, it is a "relaxed geometry". .... I have around 5,800 miles on the bike, and it has served me well.

I hope you will find a good fit soon. Good hunting!
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will be looking at Fujis as well. I've done less research on them because of an odd message from Google saying Fuji's site may have a virus. I don't know how valid that is at this point, but I do have a dealer that carries them locally.
Fern53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-08, 08:42 PM   #4
Tom Bombadil
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
I think you are on the right track. Ride a bunch of bikes, pick out your favorites, get your sizing nailed down, then ride your favorites again.

It indeed can be frustrating when you do your research, find a bike that looks very interesting and close to your preferences, then can't find that model in your size to ride. If you get closer to the end and have a bike like that, where everything you've learned continues to lead you to believe that a particular bike may be one of the best for you, then you may have to call around and track one down.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Tom Bombadil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-08, 10:51 AM   #5
Yen
Surly Girly

Bikes:
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern53 View Post
Thank you for sharing your experience. I will be looking at Fujis as well. I've done less research on them because of an odd message from Google saying Fuji's site may have a virus. I don't know how valid that is at this point, but I do have a dealer that carries them locally.
I've seen that message too.

Best wishes in your hunt for a bike. Keep an eye on year-end sales to make room for the '09 bikes.