Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Has anyone regretted going clipless?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Has anyone regretted going clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-08, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Er your not supposed to FALL?

HI,
I figure its a pretty good day if I don't dump the bike, One thing Ive figured out, its like cars you never real sure if you'll have a problem at a intersection so unclip your pedals till you hit open road again.
My Crankbrother pedals have two sides that can be road with or without clips.

They seem to open up and flatten out if you have tennis shoes on.
IF my bolts are loose on my shoes,clips seem to stick more.
So I keep mine real tight, if one seems to be tricky I check the bolt with my handy allen wrench .
100% of my falls involve intersections and stopping.
I have drastically reduced my occurance of turtling by releasing one foot my favorite is the left.
Doug
Old 08-24-08, 02:46 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by SaiKaiTai
At least, thanks to tsl, I don't feel like such a freak anymore
You don't know me that well...
Old 08-24-08, 02:53 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, I forgot to mention that I started with and worked through a few SPD pedals -all set with a pretty light release and now have the Zeros on my CF bike (which is my everyday bike, doing everyday things) and I would not even remotely dream of going back to clips. In fact, before I went clipless, I fell three times - with traps.
Old 08-24-08, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
I was happy as could be with clips and straps and slotted cleats. When clipless appeared on the scene, I was one of the last to try 'em. Nowadays, I have bikes with clipless and bikes with clips and straps. I like both systems.

I haven't fallen with clipless, did all my falling while learning the trick of reaching down to release the strap on the older pedals. Perhaps the awareness carried over to clipless.
Old 08-24-08, 03:23 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
I'm surprised that you cant pull out in a panic, with the multi release clips. Do you have them set on the easiest setting? I find with the M424s, it's so easy that it's almost like not being clipped in.
Old 08-24-08, 03:32 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I'm surprised that you cant pull out in a panic, with the multi release clips. Do you have them set on the easiest setting? I find with the M424s, it's so easy that it's almost like not being clipped in.
George - I have no trouble unclipping.............. the cause of both falls was remembering to unclip. Yesterday, I was very tired, sleep-deprived. It was 100% forgetfulness/absentmindedness/tiredness. If I remember, unclipping is easy and the tension seems just right.

In addition to feeling tired, I also feel stressed, and a little shaken since my dad's fall which had the worst of all possible consequences. I may be thinking (on a subconscious level) that any fall has the same tragic consequences. I don't know, but I have not felt this way before.

I just want to throw my leg over a bike and go out for a simple ride. I don't want to have to think this much.
Old 08-24-08, 03:33 PM
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by BengeBoy
I have never fallen in clipless. I did fall once or twice 20 years ago in toe clips.

I always, always, always, unclip the same foot. It gives me one and only one thing to think about in a panic situation - get *the* foot out, not *which* foot do I get out in this situation.
+2,000,000

Toe clips are death traps.

I started with SPD, then went to Look, then went to Speedplay (briefly), now I have Quattros.
Switching to clipless (in 2000) was like switching to bibs (in 2003). Once you try them you'll NEVER go back.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.

Last edited by RonH; 08-24-08 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-24-08, 03:41 PM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
+2,000,000

Toe clips are death traps.

When I bought my bike three weeks ago, I had platform pedals put on it. About 10 Days later, I put a set of pedals with toe clips on them. After one ride, I decided that there was nothing that I could put on the bike that would be more dangerous than the clip type pedals.

Last Tuesday, I put a set of Look KEO Sprint Pedals on. I have ridden twice with them now. Once on the day I got them and a 22 mile ride today. There's no reason that I can think of that would make me want to take them off my bike.

ciao`

Ed
"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 08-24-08, 03:49 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed in GA
.....Last Tuesday, I put a set of Look KEO Sprint Pedals on. I have ridden twice with them now. Once on the day I got them and a 22 mile ride today. There's no reason that I can think of that would make me want to take them off my bike.
Heavy traffic? Frequent stops?

If I had long stretches of open road, few stops, and no falls, I too would see no reason to change.
Old 08-24-08, 03:52 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow those Kleo's llok neat

HI,
Saw them at the LBS didn't understand them, they seem almost like ski releases.WOW the best part is the fine tunning more or less release pressure.

Doug
Old 08-24-08, 03:55 PM
The "now retired" Old Guy

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
Heavy traffic? Frequent stops?

If I had long stretches of open road, few stops, and no falls, I too would see no reason to change.

My ride on Tuesday had about 20 stop signs and I stopped for everyone of them. Todays Ride had about 10 stop signs and three quik rest stops for water.

So, I did clip in and out of them quite a bit.

Someone told me the other day that there are two types of cyclists who use clipless pedals.....

"Those who have fallen and those who will." So, I still have a good fall to look forward to.

"The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
Old 08-24-08, 04:46 PM

Bikes: Raleigh Supercourse, Peugeot Iseran, Raleigh Twenty

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yen
Just wonderin'.

I fell again yesterday. I KNOW, I KNOW -- everyone falls (except SaiKaiTai) eventually. Even the young guy at the shop said "You'll fall......"
I've never really fallen since I started using clipless (SPDs) some years back but the first time I used them I was anxious to get on the road to try them out, didn't have them adjusted properly, and had to attempt a track stand on a road bike while I simultaneously tried to get both/either feet disengaged at a busy intersection. I managed to avoid falling, but added checking out the adjustment on my spds as part of my routine pre-ride maintenance.

I really like clipless pedals. To me the only downside is having to carry an extra pair of shoes for off-bike.
Old 08-24-08, 05:01 PM

Bikes: Trek Navigator, LeMond Buenos Aires, Madone 5.9, S-Works Roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TruF
Hi Yen,

I think the problem is that we are trying to turn our CF road bikes into all-purpose bikes. I've come to the conclusion that I would be absolutely fine with clipless on the Ruby and use it for only long club-ish type rides that have few stops and fewer intersections. My next bike will be a sort of light touring steel-framed road bike with platform pedals. I'll use this bike for casual rides and rides that have lots of stopping and getting off the bike and browsing or eating. Drop handlebars and lighter than my hybrid. Maybe something old and classic.

After a few months of using them, I personally dislike the dual purpose pedals. They always end up the wrong side up at just the wrong time, like when I need to make a quick burst through an intersection that has a brief opportunity for getting across before the light changes.

Just my two cents!
I've only had them for a little over 100 miles but I really like my dual purpose pedals. I fell 4 times the first two days and almost fell yesterday when I got home from 32 mile group ride. I have been uncliping and using the other side of the pedal whenever I'm in uncertain situations. I like being able to do that and to ride with any kind of shoe for quick rides in the neighborhood. My biggest problem like Yen's is forgetting to unclip but it seems to be getting better and I loosened the conection a little.
Old 08-24-08, 05:29 PM
On the road again

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Cannondale R6000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of us have fallen with clipless out of either stupidity, carelessness or both, usually worth a good laugh and unfortunately some bruises and blood. I've been riding with clipless pedals for the last 10 years, first SPD's on my old Cannondale and now Speedplays on my Specialized and my Trek (work in Houston and live in Columbus, OH so have a bike in each city), I wouldn't go back to toe clips for anything. Oh by the way, have also fallen in toe clips when not paying attention at a stop. Keep riding with them, clipping out will become second nature. Only other downside I've experienced with clipless pedals is during a crash at speed. While they come off after you hit, I noticed last time that the ligaments and tendons in my ankles and knees were really sore after the crash and I think it was because the clips held my feet in for a slight time after the bike at hit and my body was still moving forward.
Old 08-24-08, 05:42 PM

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
George - I have no trouble unclipping.............. the cause of both falls was remembering to unclip. Yesterday, I was very tired, sleep-deprived. It was 100% forgetfulness/absentmindedness/tiredness. If I remember, unclipping is easy and the tension seems just right.

In addition to feeling tired, I also feel stressed, and a little shaken since my dad's fall which had the worst of all possible consequences. I may be thinking (on a subconscious level) that any fall has the same tragic consequences. I don't know, but I have not felt this way before.

I just want to throw my leg over a bike and go out for a simple ride. I don't want to have to think this much.
I know what you mine about the stress part. I think everybody has some, but sometimes I think I get more than my share.

For the most part I take the Jamis out during the week and take it easy and try not to think about to much. Then I take the Roubaix out on the weekends and try and beat myself up a little to get my mind off of stinky thinking, good luck.
Old 08-24-08, 06:07 PM
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
I have ridden a total of 100k miles on road quill pedals with toeclips and have no desire to change at this point. I do not want clipless for my transportation bike, and I do not trust myself to use clipless on some of my bikes and toeclips on others. I am a decent transportation, solo, and club rider who has never been race material. I set my straps so that I can just yank either foot straight back and out as needed.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 08-24-08, 07:04 PM

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8280 Post(s)
Liked 9,041 Times in 4,475 Posts
Extra shoes? Why not use mtb style shoes? I even use them as my only shoes on tours. I use them on all rides, touring, mtb, club rides, anything. Can't imagine using clips and straps again and I never tried flat pedals as an adult.
Have tried Time, Shimano road, Mavic, Look, and SPDs. SPDs rock!
Old 08-24-08, 07:07 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I tried on two different Shimano mountain bike shoes this past week, just to see what they were like to walk in. I found them very uncomfortable and can't imagine walking much at all in them.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-24-08, 07:11 PM
I need more cowbell.

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Yen
J

So anyway.......... has anyone actually regretted going clipless and reverted back to platforms? Just wondering. I don't think I've seen a single comment from someone who did.... maybe they're too afraid to publicly admit it. Not that I am. I'm just curious.
I've been riding clipless for several hours, and I've never looked back.

Proud member of the original Club Tombay
Old 08-24-08, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil
I tried on two different Shimano mountain bike shoes this past week, just to see what they were like to walk in. I found them very uncomfortable and can't imagine walking much at all in them.
I'm hard to fit, but I found some mtb shoes called Dinecta,(no longer made), and I have walked miles in them at a time. They are now so old I am trying a new pair of PI shoes, hoping they are close to as good.
Old 08-24-08, 07:22 PM
His Brain is Gone!

Bikes: RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Shimanos I tried on fit fine. But it was that lump in the sole that really bothered me as I walked in them.

My walking/hiking shoes are so comfy that I can walk for hours in them. These were much, much less comfortable. This is important to me because on my typical 25-30 mile ride, I will be walking around for about an hour during it.

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post
Old 08-24-08, 07:34 PM

I do have an old pair of Shimano mtb shoes that have a lump in the sole, where the cleat is. I couldn't walk in those on pavement very far. Plus, the cleat hits the ground.
Old 08-24-08, 07:37 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Digital Gee
I've been riding clipless for several hours, and I've never looked back.
If you ride clipless it's best to keep your eyes straight ahead to prevent falls.
Old 08-24-08, 08:00 PM
Yen
Surly Girly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by George
I know what you mine about the stress part. I think everybody has some, but sometimes I think I get more than my share.

For the most part I take the Jamis out during the week and take it easy and try not to think about to much. Then I take the Roubaix out on the weekends and try and beat myself up a little to get my mind off of stinky thinking, good luck.
George - First of all, I'm sorry about your share of stress. Hope things level off for you very soon.

Between your Jamis and your Roubaix, which one feels more like a recreational bike to you - the one you'd ride to the store or run errands on yet also want to take for a long ride?
Old 08-24-08, 08:03 PM
Don't mince words

Bikes: '16 BH Quartz, 2017 Calfeecustom carbon tandem, Fuji D6 TT bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been clipless since '98 and have no plans to go back.

I had my share of falls, on the mountain bike as well as the Dolce. It hurt my pride more than my body. But once I stopped thinking about which side to clip out, and just did what felt natural, I've been able to stay upright. Give yourself time, and practice lots, Yen, and you'll get it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.