Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone regretted going clipless?

Just wonderin'.

I fell again yesterday. I KNOW, I KNOW -- everyone falls (except SaiKaiTai) eventually. Even the young guy at the shop said "You'll fall......" Yesterday's fall was another knuckle-brained adventure. I automatically unclipped my right foot, which surprised me because I instinctively unclip on the left but I've been practicing on the right so I'd be more apt to fall in that direction instead of toward traffic. Anyway, I automatically unclipped my right foot, but before I put the foot down and leaned my bike in that direction, I tried to remove my left foot for some unknown reason -- I always unclip only one foot and leave the other one clipped in. Uh oh... I forgot it's still attached........ BAM! I fell to the left. Got three new bruises to my legs that are still bruised from the first fall, tore the handlebar tape, and scratched the cap on the end of the bars. Another scratch to add to the ones from the first fall. And this was just starting out yesterday.

In defense of clipless, I was also very tired yesterday. After staying up too late every night to watch the Olympics, I am sleep-deprived. I felt tired before we left. Perhaps it was a good day to sleep in (we arose at 6:00 am to meet the group).

So anyway.......... has anyone actually regretted going clipless and reverted back to platforms? Just wondering. I don't think I've seen a single comment from someone who did.... maybe they're too afraid to publicly admit it. Not that I am. I'm just curious.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am only newbie to clipless and can't find a reason to return. I use A530 so I can ride with with the grandkids or ride to the store. I only put the clipless shoes on for long rides.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something like the A530 may be my answer. For our slower recreational group rides, the M520 with their small size seems pointless with all the stops we make at lights, dodging cars, cracks in pavement, etc. I felt apprehensive all 27 miles yesterday and could hardly wait to get home. Maybe it was entirely due to being so tired. As they say, most accidents happen when we're tired.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Kinda... I went with speedplays but it turned out that the spindles are too short to fit me correctly. Even adjusting the cleats to the max, the knee pain was too severe. I went back to the stock pedals. When I get the money for it, will get the bikeshop to order the correct spindles and give the speedplays another try.

Oh.. and I did fall a few times too... proof:

My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yen View Post
    I felt apprehensive all 27 miles yesterday and could hardly wait to get home. Maybe it was entirely due to being so tired. As they say, most accidents happen when we're tired.
    That's certainly been my experience. You'll ride all 27 miles with no trouble and then fall over when you return to your car. I think that it has something to do with everybody being around to witness your embarassment at the end of the ride - one of those "Murphy's Law" things..

Wine Country, 1 hour north of San Francisco
    My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Yen,

I think the problem is that we are trying to turn our CF road bikes into all-purpose bikes. I've come to the conclusion that I would be absolutely fine with clipless on the Ruby and use it for only long club-ish type rides that have few stops and fewer intersections. My next bike will be a sort of light touring steel-framed road bike with platform pedals. I'll use this bike for casual rides and rides that have lots of stopping and getting off the bike and browsing or eating. Drop handlebars and lighter than my hybrid. Maybe something old and classic.

After a few months of using them, I personally dislike the dual purpose pedals. They always end up the wrong side up at just the wrong time, like when I need to make a quick burst through an intersection that has a brief opportunity for getting across before the light changes.

Just my two cents!
    Embrace diversity: hug a conservative.

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TruF View Post
    Hi Yen,

I think the problem is that we are trying to turn our CF road bikes into all-purpose bikes. I've come to the conclusion that I would be absolutely fine with clipless on the Ruby and use it for only long club-ish type rides that have few stops and fewer intersections. My next bike will be a sort of light touring steel-framed road bike with platform pedals. I'll use this bike for casual rides and rides that have lots of stopping and getting off the bike and browsing or eating. Drop handlebars and lighter than my hybrid. Maybe something old and classic.

After a few months of using them, I personally dislike the dual purpose pedals. They always end up the wrong side up at just the wrong time, like when I need to make a quick burst through an intersection that has a brief opportunity for getting across before the light changes.

Just my two cents!

Hi TruF -- I think you hit the nail on the head. This fast CF road bike really does seem like "too much bike" for the slowish rides with lots of stops at intersections and dodging cars, gravel, glass, and large cracks. At times it seems like I'm riding an obstacle course with hazards at every turn, and being new to clipless the fun factor is diminished even more as I also have to remember to unclip, requiring more thinking on what should be a fun ride in the sun. For me, it diminishes the fun and recreation factor which is what got me into this in the first place. For long rides of few stops, clipless are fantastic and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them for those conditions.

I know, eventually it will become second nature to unclip. But for now, during the learning curve, the slower recreational rides with aren't as much fun with clipless pedals.
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

My Bikes
    2008 Trek Madone 5.5, 2006 Trek Pilot 5.2 (deceased), 2005 Marin Novato, Trek 7100, Schwinn Frontier, Trek 800 sport, Trek 220, Trek MT 60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2nd nature to unclip still won't prevent getting overbalanced on the clipped in side. Happened to me (again) about a week ago while riding with a bunch of much more experienced riders.

I may put training wheels on my new bike when it comes in this week. Or crash bars.

I still would not trade in the clipless ride.

My Bikes
    Litespeed Tuscany , Lemond Poprad, 1970's Motobecane Grand Record
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I would never take the clipless pedals off of my road bike, but I agree on the errand bike or short trip bike. For may years I had a nice set of plastic toe clips on my mountain bike and always liked them and they were very easy to slide your foot out of sideways. I could easily use them on a 2nd bike. I had them on a bike I sold and forgot to take them off before the guy came and bought the bike. Like TruF I too would like a nice light steel frame drop bar bike for my commuting and general purpose bike.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next bike will be a sort of light touring steel-framed road bike with platform pedals. I'll use this bike for casual rides and rides that have lots of stopping and getting off the bike and browsing or eating. Drop handlebars and lighter than my hybrid. Maybe something old and classic.

I like that "My next bike" kind of talk. N+1!

When I researched pedals I read at least a dozen opinions that echoed what you say about the dual sided pedals.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoMad View Post
    No, I would never take the clipless pedals off of my road bike, but I agree on the errand bike or short trip bike. For may years I had a nice set of plastic toe clips on my mountain bike and always liked them and they were very easy to slide your foot out of sideways. I could easily use them on a 2nd bike. I had them on a bike I sold and forgot to take them off before the guy came and bought the bike. Like TruF I too would like a nice light steel frame drop bar bike for my commuting and general purpose bike.
    As would I. I've researched Jamis bikes which I like very much but the nearest shop is too far. I'd like to get the bike from our favorite LBS which is a short ride (about 6 miles) from home, independently owned -- they carry Felt, Giant, Kona, Bianchi, and they know us (the owner jokes that we have our own key to the shop).

I'd like to find this bike sooner rather than later....
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I went clipless I never went back. I use my carbon bike for most rides, but take the old steel bike out for an occasional park ride, but I almost never use the bikes for anything but riding hard or long. Errands are done by foot in NYC.

My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On occasion...........I do remove the clipless pedals from my bike/bikes................. When on vacation in tourist country where I will ride at slower more "crowded" velocities with frequent and unexpected stops off they come in favor of the big red platforms. Takes about 90 seconds each to change them out.

Now, as the voluntary membership motivation coordinator for club Tombay (and one of its most often members with no less than 7 recorded falls) I must warn you......."Pride goeth before a fall".........or 4 of my seven falls are due expressly to uncliping one, not both feet, from the pedals because I just know that the bike will always lean the way I expect it. Stop practicing left/right and start practicing both. The most experienced clipless riders around can get knocked over the wrong way by a pedestrian/tourista backing up while gesturing wildly with an ice cream cone.........

Violin guitar mandolin
    My Bikes
    Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get it. I don't have slow rides because I live in the countryside! So I have little chance to fall. I fell once with clipless, in 1993. Misadjusted and I couldn't get my foot out.

On the other hand, I'll ride without toeclips on recreational bikes. No biggie.

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Jamis Satellite might fit the bill for you, Yen. Steel frame, carbon fork, comes in a women's specific 54cm, has a solid Tiagra rear derailleur, and all for $785. If one is prioritizing a smooth, casual rider, I'd think about swapping out its 700x23 tires for 700x28.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I commute and tour on my bike and tried clipless years ago.Pain in the ass.Have to carry another pair of shoes so I can walk like a human,no gain in speed for my type of riding,I don't click when I walk,I get to wear nice comfy tennis shoes,my shoes don't look like I double as a fairy godfather when I'm off the bike,no screws to fall out of my cleat to render my pedel useless.It was very easy to switch back to toe clips and straps.
    Everything should be as simple as possible...But not more so.---Albert Einstein

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    The Jamis Satellite might fit the bill for you, Yen. Steel frame, carbon fork, comes in a women's specific 54cm, has a solid Tiagra rear derailleur, and all for $785. If one is prioritizing a smooth, casual rider, I'd think about swapping out its 700x23 tires for 700x28.
    Thanks Tom - love it! The geometry is very close to the Roubaix, even more comfy. Love the color too.

Is there anything about this bike that I should swap for higher-end parts?

http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/bikes/...tellitef.html#
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

tsl
    My Bikes
    '96 Litespeed Classic, '06 Trek Portland, '13 Ribble Winter/Audax
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    everyone falls (except SaiKaiTai) eventually.
    I'm with SKT then, never had a clipless fall.

Except for test rides of 100-yards or less, I never ride without clipless. I can't imagine reverting. It just makes things so much easier for me--no longer worrying about my feet flying off the pedals.

Besides Yen, it helps me work all those leg muscles you love.
    My two favorite things in life are libraries and bicycles. They both move people forward without wasting anything.
    The perfect day: Riding a bike to the library.—Peter Golkin

Lucky for me, I work at a library and bike to work.

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
    Hmmm. One of our favorite LBSs carries Jamis. Might have to set up a test ride. Thanks for the tip, Tom. I love how the Ruby fits. If the dimensions are even more comfie than the Roubaix as Yen says, this might be a great option for me, too.

Yes, N+1 is always a happy-maker in this forum.

My Bikes
    '13 Felt Z3, '08 Jamis Aurora Elite
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just wonderin'.

I fell again yesterday. I KNOW, I KNOW -- everyone falls (except SaiKaiTai) eventually. Even the young guy at the shop said "You'll fall......"
    Quote Originally Posted by tsl View Post
    I'm with SKT then, never had a clipless fall
    I don't know what to say, maybe I just have extraordinary reflexes for a 55 year ex-potato?
    I mean, I can catch things, mid-air, when I drop them before they hit the floor.
    I know T-Man might take exception with the one fall I've had, slipping on wet eucalyptus leaves riding up a curb but I would fallen no matter what pedals I had. Gravity wins.

I think, for me, I just clear my head and don't mind-**** it.
    Certainly, as a musician, I play much better when my head stays out of the way...maybe it's the same thing?

At least, thanks to tsl, I don't feel like such a freak anymore
    '13 Felt Z3 - '08 Jamis Aurora Elite - ('07 Giant OCR C2)

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RubenX View Post
    Kinda... I went with speedplays but it turned out that the spindles are too short to fit me correctly. Even adjusting the cleats to the max, the knee pain was too severe. I went back to the stock pedals. When I get the money for it, will get the bikeshop to order the correct spindles and give the speedplays another try.

Oh.. and I did fall a few times too... proof:

Ouch!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My next bike will be a sort of light touring steel-framed road bike with platform pedals. I'll use this bike for casual rides and rides that have lots of stopping and getting off the bike and browsing or eating. Drop handlebars and lighter than my hybrid. Maybe something old and classic.
    TruF, mine is coming along....this is the bike you accused of being a "she." I'm still not sure. The fenders didn't exactly butch it up any.

I'm trying to get a rack and other commuter doo-dads installed today; first "serious" commute will be this week.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I automatically unclipped my right foot, which surprised me because I instinctively unclip on the left but I've been practicing on the right so I'd be more apt to fall in that direction instead of toward traffic.
    I have never fallen in clipless. I did fall once or twice 20 years ago in toe clips.

I suspect one problem is you're trying to switch around the unclipped foot.

I always, always, always, unclip the same foot. It gives me one and only one thing to think about in a panic situation - get *the* foot out, not *which* foot do I get out in this situation.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    I have never fallen in clipless. I did fall once or twice 20 years ago in toe clips.

I suspect one problem is you're trying to switch around the unclipped foot.

I always, always, always, unclip the same foot. It gives me one and only one thing to think about in a panic situation - get *the* foot out, not *which* foot do I get out in this situation.
    + 1,000,000

Anticipate, anticipate, anticipate.

I unclip prior to any potential stop, gravel, kids on the trail, you name it. Any potential foreseen danger gets an unclipping.

Unforeseen dangers are greatly helped if you have the one foot that you know you can unclip.

I ride on MUPS, traffic, whatever doing just fine with clipless. I don't have a carbon bike, but I have a light steel Lemond. Does that count?

It eventually gets so natural one doesn't even think about it.

If I can learn at 59, anyone can learn. Fell twice 9 years ago from the clipless, never since.

Good luck.

I have never thought of going back to pedals, although two of my bikes have toe clips, and I manage them just fine, also, using the same principles.
    Last edited by DnvrFox; 08-24-08 at 02:07 PM.
    Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone >> Gone

My Bikes
    Specialized Ruby
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    TruF, mine is coming along....this is the bike you accused of being a "she." I'm still not sure. The fenders didn't exactly butch it up any.

I'm trying to get a rack and other commuter doo-dads installed today; first "serious" commute will be this week.

Would love to see a picture once that manliest-of-manly bikes has all the gear in place. And read your first ride report!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast