User Tag List

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally rode my age!

Actually my age plus 8--64 miles from the San Fernando Valley (approximately at Valley College) to a law school faculty retreat at the Hyatt in Newport Beach! That beats my personal longest by 14 miles, and my 21st Century best by 29. It took me about 10 hours but my bike computer says I was only rolling for 6.5. Every time I made a wrong turn I stopped for a meal.
    My route was almost completely flat with long stretches of river (headwind) bike path, but I only averaged about 10 mph. A lot of that is the engine, of course, but I wonder how much difference it would have made if I hadn't been on my Giant Cypress with 700c 35 tires, with front suspension and very upright position?
    Anyway, one of my colleagues decided to announce my mode of transportation to the meeting which was embarrassing but gratifying. Only got one offer to ride with me next year, however.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds terrific, and congrats.

What was your route?

I've done most of that ride before -- at least from Santa Monica to Newport Beach (actually, all the way down through Camp Pendleton). Pretty nice ride; it's easy to get lost in various places if you're trying to stay on the "best" / least-trafficked path.

And...some great places to stop to eat, too!

His Brain is Gone! Tom Bombadil's Avatar
    My Bikes
    RANS Stratus, Bridgestone CB-1, Trek 7600, Sun EZ-Rider AX, Fuji Absolute 1.0, Cayne Rambler 3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Boy, that sounds like my ride last year. My longest ride ever had been 40-41 miles and I did a 64. It took me 10 hours of elasped time, with several stops along the way- including a dinner stop. Did it on a Trek hybrid with 700x38 tires and a front suspension. So I know of what you speak.

Nice feeling of accomplishment isn't it?
    Last edited by Tom Bombadil; 08-24-08 at 07:03 PM.
    "Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen." Louis L'Amour

There are two types of road bikers: bikers who are faster than me, and me. Bruce Cameron - Denver Post

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    Every time I made a wrong turn I stopped for a meal.
    sao-- how much weight did you gain

train safe--

Yen
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode 50 miles on my Giant Cypress, so I too know of what you speak. Narrower, smoother tires will help, but hey you did it, that's what counts, and you weren't in a race.

Only one offer to ride may mean that only one other person is a cyclist. Everyone else probably thinks you're crazy.
    Specialized Roubaix Expert
    Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A feat like that may be what it takes to get some of your colleagues thinking about a fitness lifestyle. Congratulations.

My Bikes
    2007 Trek Madone 5.0 WSD - 2007 Trek 4300 WSD - 2008 Trek 520
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations

Those headwinds can really slow you down.
    =============================================================
    My cancer updates:
    https://www.mylifeline.org/beverlyow...=myupdates.cfm

Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
    -- Antonio Smith

My Bikes
    2009 Randonee, 2014 Bike Friday NWT
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BengeBoy View Post
    Sounds terrific, and congrats.

What was your route?

I've done most of that ride before -- at least from Santa Monica to Newport Beach (actually, all the way down through Camp Pendleton). Pretty nice ride; it's easy to get lost in various places if you're trying to stay on the "best" / least-trafficked path.

And...some great places to stop to eat, too!
    I had Bike Metro plan my route--basically Griffith Park to the LA River Bike Path to Imperial Hwy to the San Gabriel River Bike Path to PCH then down the coast. I'm told that down the coast from Newport Beach through Camp Pendleton is a nice ride.
    Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR-C, Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 05 Rockhopper, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 01 Bianchi Campione, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 97 Lemond
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your accomplishment. You've also done your first metric century. So congratulations again!
    Yes, narrow tires and smoother tires will help your speed, but don't forget other tire factors like pressure. All things being equal, a higher pressure tire will ride much faster than a lower pressure tire.
    Roccobike BF Official Thread Terminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on the milestone(s). Time required doesn't much matter. You did it!

My Bikes
    2009 Chris Boedeker custom, 1988 Tommasini Prestige, 2007 Bill Davidson custom, 1985 Univega Gran Turismo; 1988 Specialized Stumpjumper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdanel View Post
    I had Bike Metro plan my route--basically Griffith Park to the LA River Bike Path to Imperial Hwy to the San Gabriel River Bike Path to PCH then down the coast. I'm told that down the coast from Newport Beach through Camp Pendleton is a nice ride.
    Thanks for clarifying -- I never did that way down the coast. I lived in Westwood so when I wanted to head down the coast I would go to Santa Monica and/or Culver City and head south from there.

Yes, the ride going on South is nice - or it was. I have read on some of the posts at BF that some of the roads through Camp Pendleton that used to be open to the public are now closed for security reasons. In any case - I had a very happy two years cycling around Southern California; lots of nice routes.

My Bikes
    Rans Stratus LE, Terra Trike Sport
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I rode my age this weekend also--did the 100K Tour de Lentil in the rolling hills of the Palouse in Eastern Washington. Eight hours of riding time including the mile and a half riding to the start so I'd end up with over 63 (my age) miles.

My Bikes
    94 Giant ATX 760, 2001 Biachi Eros, 2005 Giant OCR2 Composite +
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A fine accomplishmet. Thanks for letting us share in your glory.
    Truth is stranger than reality.
    '96 Giant ATX 760 MTB
    '01 Bianchi Eros
    '05 Giant OCR Llimited Carbon Fiber + upgrades